Plastic Enclosure?

Frankie2021

Location (City and/or State)
Gibraltar ??
Hey guys I was wondering if a plastic container 75cm x 45cm x 16cm would be a good size for my 6 month old Greek, I’m getting him soon so I’d like to know if plastic would be good too with the heating from the UVB MVB bulb, do you think it would get too hot it the plastic tub? Possibly melt it? ? I don’t think it would melt it but I want to make sure plastic is safe for my baby ?

Attachments

• 2EC5B0CD-B966-4CF4-8060-FA7ABEEB7E7C.jpeg
    2EC5B0CD-B966-4CF4-8060-FA7ABEEB7E7C.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys I was wondering if a plastic container 75cm x 45cm x 16cm would be a good size for my 6 month old Greek, I’m getting him soon so I’d like to know if plastic would be good too with the heating from the UVB MVB bulb, do you think it would get too hot it the plastic tub? Possibly melt it? ? I don’t think it would melt it but I want to make sure plastic is safe for my baby ?
Plastic is fine. An open topped tub will make it impossible to maintain the correct heat and humidity for a growing baby.

This will explain more:

Most of the tortoise care info you find out in the world will be wrong. Pet shops usually give the worst info, but most vets and breeders aren't much better.

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
Thank you ? It’s quite humid where I’m from and also warm, I was more worried about the bulb warming up the plastic tub and the height of the tub too

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you ? It’s quite humid where I’m from and also warm, I was more worried about the bulb warming up the plastic tub and the height of the tub too
The humidity outside is irrelevant. It won't be humid in an indoor enclosure with heat running in winter and AC running in summer, and heat lamps over it. Put a digital hygrometer near the basking area in your enclosure. You'll see what I mean.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
A plastic tub is great... that plastic tub is probably too short, and will definitely be too small in a little while... might as well buy a big one that'll take you out to a year or two.

Jamie

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
The humidity outside is irrelevant. It won't be humid in an indoor enclosure with heat running in winter and AC running in summer, and heat lamps over it. Put a digital hygrometer near the basking area in your enclosure. You'll see what I mean.
I was referring to the humidity inside my house, humidity is not an issue or heat, I know what you mean don’t worry, last thing I want to do is make my little one uncomfortable ? also we don’t have AC in my house, but we do have the Mediterranean in walking distance ? thank you for your help though

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
A plastic tub is great... that plastic tub is probably too short, and will definitely be too small in a little while... might as well buy a big one that'll take you out to a year or two.

Jamie
Thank you ?? I’ll just get a larger one and then eventually build an enclosure for him?