Plants

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hey guys, I’ve decided I want to add more plants to Nova’s enclosure (Sulcata) seeing how she destroyed the ones that were in there. (I know will happen again lol) but some of the plants I have that I would like to possibly stick in there as new plants, what I have are zz plant, maranta (prayer plant) jade succulent, hoya Krimson princess, pothos, philodendron Brasil, monstera, and perhaps a coffee plant? I’m over all just curious if these would be fine to have around her? Even for the future? Thanks. ?

TisMary

New York
I agree with @KarenSoCal that you should look in the Tortoise Table Plant database. That said, I couldn't find the ZZ Plant there, but did find it on Wiki (botanical name: Zamioculcas zamiifolias - always wondered!). Anyway, it has fairly high concentrations of calcium oxalate. It's a member of the genus Philodendron, which likewise contains calcium oxalate (listed as a DO NOT FEED on Tortoise Table.) I'd say no to both of these, and to monstera and hoya which are also listed as DO NOT FEED. Don't know about the coffee plant. If you have a botanical name, maybe I can help. You can also google the name of the plant followed by the words "toxic", "toxicity", "poison" (you get the idea) to see if anything comes up.

Jade plants (Crassula ovata; Crassula argentea; Crassula portulacea) are OK to feed in moderation with other plants. Not sure how they will hold up against a sulcata (my bearded dragon beat the crap out of mine!)

nicoleann2214

NY
I agree with @KarenSoCal that you should look in the Tortoise Table Plant database. That said, I couldn't find the ZZ Plant there, but did find it on Wiki (botanical name: Zamioculcas zamiifolias - always wondered!). Anyway, it has fairly high concentrations of calcium oxalate. It's a member of the genus Philodendron, which likewise contains calcium oxalate (listed as a DO NOT FEED on Tortoise Table.) I'd say no to both of these, and to monstera and hoya which are also listed as DO NOT FEED. Don't know about the coffee plant. If you have a botanical name, maybe I can help. You can also google the name of the plant followed by the words "toxic", "toxicity", "poison" (you get the idea) to see if anything comes up.

Jade plants (Crassula ovata; Crassula argentea; Crassula portulacea) are OK to feed in moderation with other plants. Not sure how they will hold up against a sulcata (my bearded dragon beat the crap out of mine!)
Thanks!