Plants

Zack swiger

Location (City and/or State)
NEVADA
Hi I would like to have live plants in my African side necked tank but don’t know what plants are safe. Can someone help.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know anything about turtles, or what's safe for them.

But in our tortoise enclosures, some that do well and are safe are pothos, Boston fern, and prayer plant. Any kind of bromeliad is safe, as are African violets, but I don't know how well they would hold up to the heat.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I would think that any plants used in aquariums would be safe to have in your turtle's tank.
I've had Water Wisteria, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Duckweed, Water Lettuce etc.
Just be aware that turtles and tortoises are wrecking crews unto themselves! Plants that you plant in the underwater substrate are going to get bulldozed, dug up and pushed around! But the plants that float freely in or on top of the water will not be bothered. The turtle may eat them, or they might not. :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here's a few that I like using, Water lettuce, water hyacinth, Hornwort, Lily pads, duckweed, anarchis, and water wisteria.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh and Java Moss is cool too but it doesn't usually grow fast enough to survive the turtles.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
How many African Side neck turtles in what size tank? I was never very successful incorporating plants in my tanks. I may have not had enough plants but after years of occasionally trying different plants grown locally in the inhabited ponds, I gave up. As Todd mentions, surviving multiple turtles in a tank is a hard row to hoe for any plant. They really seem to enjoy having effect on their world...lol

BTW- we love pics....hint, hint....