Plants

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
It's been a long time since I've made an appearance in the forums, so excuse me if I ended up in the wrong place. I just moved into my OWN room at home (yeah I'm still living at home, but I'm still young, and for all my life I've had to share with a sister who's 5 years younger than me) I mean now i have Franklin as a roommate, but thankfully he's so far known the meaning of bedtime quiet hours. This also means I live in my basement where we put our cat away when we're not home so he can go in there as he pleases. I want to get some plants to add life to my room (you know, aside from the living tortoise and fish tank) I have a philodendron that I got when I still worked in the office that's doing pretty well (and I know it's poison to cats but thankfully he has no interest in it anyway) but I'd like some easy to care for plants (because I'm a plant killer) that would not be poisonous to my cat. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Pothos are very easy to keep. I don't know if they are poisonous, my cats have never bothered them. Do you have good window access? Then you could do cactus or Alevera or spider plants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey Sarah!!!!!

It's so good to see you back here. Where the heck ya been?

Here's a list of plants for your new room, but remember, they all need light in order to grow.

Fern
Tillandsia
pathos
jade
sansevieria
palm trees
ficus trees

Please drop in to the Pretend Chat thread and let them all know you're back and doing ok.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
My favorite is peace lily. Flowers all year. Wilts when thirsty. Springs back up with water.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello there! Good to see you around again! I think that "moving out of the parents' house" is overrated. I grew up in the country where staying with your parents was considered normal and can be extremely helpful in getting a young person off to a good start into life in society without burden of debt. Now about plants, most of them need light. Lots of it! I'm sure there are windows in your basement but probably not as big as above ground floor rooms, so focus on "low light" requiring plants, and there are many. From Yvonne's list For my living areas I've always looked for the ones with large leaves just for the ease of keeping them clean. I loved the big ficus (rubber tree) they are easy to keep "no fuss" plants. Ferns are gorgeous, I have just never had any luck with them. Thinking they may not like the dry air with either AC or furnace going year round. You should not have any trouble finding few low light plants at any garden store. Place them where you want "something green" start watering and feeding and see what happens, if they thrive- super! I they don't, they may need more light than what they get in that spot so either move them or get some "grow lights"

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Pothos are very easy to keep. I don't know if they are poisonous, my cats have never bothered them. Do you have good window access? Then you could do cactus or Alevera or spider plants.
I'm a terrible cactus keeper hahah, I killed all 3 I had in my time at the office, with love, they all rotted to their death. One had constant window access at home and the others were under constant fake light in the cubicle, but I couldn't resist watering them. As for spider plants, my cat has officially chomped down all the ones we have in the house- or it would already be on my list. I want cat safe plants to not poison him, but not want to invite him to start jumping on my stuff to eat my plants. We actually have a pothos in my house upstairs, looks like the care is very similar to my philodendron which is good, but also is kind of the same vine feel of the one plant I already have. But I could always steal a clipping from it and start my own without even having to buy one!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hey Sarah!!!!!

It's so good to see you back here. Where the heck ya been?

Here's a list of plants for your new room, but remember, they all need light in order to grow.

Fern
Tillandsia
pathos
jade
sansevieria
palm trees
ficus trees

Please drop in to the Pretend Chat thread and let them all know you're back and doing ok.
How've I been? I don't even know the last time I was on here and so much has happened. I'll drop by chat to say hi to everyone and update on myself.
I had a palm tree once, loved it, kept it in my window tried so hard to follow every single care instruction... murdered it a couple months :oops: it's funny, when I was looking at my philodendron back when I was trying to find good office plants one that I almost got too was sansevieria, that would probably go really nice on either my nightstand or dresser.

I do have some light in the room, but they are half windows that always have a shade on them, but for a basement it's pretty light. My light enough that I'd try to take my aloe plant out of its window where it's been thriving, but enough that my philodendron has noticeably grown in the several weeks I've been in the room.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
My favorite is peace lily. Flowers all year. Wilts when thirsty. Springs back up with water.
That's what my dad has in his office all the engineers make fun of him- but a plant in an unusable deep corner of a desk really adds some life to a cubicle! Honestly while I know they're easy to care for, I think it would quickly grow too big for my small room (I'm a bit tight on space- don't even have a closet, but I love the room)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello there! Good to see you around again! I think that "moving out of the parents' house" is overrated. I grew up in the country where staying with your parents was considered normal and can be extremely helpful in getting a young person off to a good start into life in society without burden of debt. Now about plants, most of them need light. Lots of it! I'm sure there are windows in your basement but probably not as big as above ground floor rooms, so focus on "low light" requiring plants, and there are many. From Yvonne's list For my living areas I've always looked for the ones with large leaves just for the ease of keeping them clean. I loved the big ficus (rubber tree) they are easy to keep "no fuss" plants. Ferns are gorgeous, I have just never had any luck with them. Thinking they may not like the dry air with either AC or furnace going year round. You should not have any trouble finding few low light plants at any garden store. Place them where you want "something green" start watering and feeding and see what happens, if they thrive- super! I they don't, they may need more light than what they get in that spot so either move them or get some "grow lights"
Hahaha I'm already in debt between finishing college and owning now 3 cars. I'm kind of a failure to start adult! But I don't see anything wrong with still being at home, I pay some rent, but it's a fraction of what it would be on my own. Thankfully the good part about living in a corner of the basement is that the air is never too dry.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hahaha I'm already in debt between finishing college and owning now 3 cars. I'm kind of a failure to start adult! But I don't see anything wrong with still being at home, I pay some rent, but it's a fraction of what it would be on my own. Thankfully the good part about living in a corner of the basement is that the air is never too dry.
Good for you for owning 3 cars!!! We all need to splurge on something sometime As for the basemens, man!!! I envy all thouse houses up North with full basements! Here in my area there are hardly ever any homes with basement underneath. Guess this is how they keep the housing more affordable. We are on the edge of Texas Hill Country and this whole area sits on a bedrock of limestone which makes the digging little more challenging. I would love to have a basement but haven't been able to have one since moving to the States. Our houses in Florida didn't have basements either. That scanario not due to the rocks, but rather very sandy, porous soil and ground waters. Afterall Florida hasn't been so built out for very long. I think it was up till around the 50's or 60's when they started draining the Everglades and develop the coastline. I had moved there to the East Coast in 1989 and it didn't take very long to drive West from the beach before you got to the completely wild swamps with gators and all. Now, one can drive West for miles and it's all developed. It only takes 4 hrs to drive across the state via Alligator Alley from the Beaches of Fort Lauderdale on the Atlantic Ocean side to Naples on the Gulf of Mexico (West coast of the state). Ahhh... went off on a bunny trail there! Anyway, there there are no basements bcs they would probably be filling up with water (that's my guess) so you my Dear, enjoy yours, make it all beautiful with nice plants for yourself and your shelled friend:) Enjoy having your parents that close, I would totally live with mine if I could to this day. Even while having family of my own.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Spider plants are great
Tough, edible, reproduce well, grow quickly, mostly not eaten though sometimes trampled
I remember one of your cacti and the problems it caused with your ex :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Spider plants are great
Tough, edible, reproduce well, grow quickly, mostly not eaten though sometimes trampled
I remember one of your cacti and the problems it caused with your ex :)
It was an aloe actually, and its actually still doing quite well in the window behind my chair in the living room. I think one of my favorite moments on this forum was everyone on chats suggestions on what to say in not giving it back!! I believe something involving "aloe-ha" was one!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488824466.909102.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It was an aloe actually, and its actually still doing quite well in the window behind my chair in the living room. I think one of my favorite moments on this forum was everyone on chats suggestions on what to say in not giving it back!! I believe something involving "aloe-ha" was one!
View attachment 201391
I thought I remembered a half cactus stuck in a pot, too. ?
Yeah, that was fun, Kevin (Tortdad) ,a couple of the others and me had a bit of a giggle with that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I currently have Pathos growing in two areas: Outside in the shade and indoors with no sunlight, whatsoever.
It grows just fine.
In fact, outside, a 99 cent tiny pathos has become a giant vine with leaves that have got to be about a foot wide.