Plants in tortoise enclosure

TerrenceRedFoot

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
Hi Everyone.
I just got a red foot tortoise - Terrence, 3 weeks ago) and am looking for ways to increase humidty and just generally entertain Terrence. I bought some plants from shops around but am concerned about fertilisers. I know neither plants have insecticides on. Are these safe for him?
We are brand new tort parents. Any general advice about owning a red foot in the UK would be appreciated

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi Everyone.
I just got a red foot tortoise - Terrence, 3 weeks ago) and am looking for ways to increase humidty and just generally entertain Terrence. I bought some plants from shops around but am concerned about fertilisers. I know neither plants have insecticides on. Are these safe for him?
We are brand new tort parents. Any general advice about owning a red foot in the UK would be appreciated
@Toddrickfl1 is the ultimate red foot god.?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@Toddrickfl1 is the ultimate red foot god.?
Well thank you lol but I'm still learning myself too.

@TerrenceRedFoot You want to try to aim for about 80% humidity for at least the first few years. This is crucial for smooth growth. It's best done with a closed Viv, or some type of enclosed enclosure. The idea is you don't want too much area for air exchange to occur. Once you've got enclosure sealed all you'll have to do is pour a little water into your substrate. Plants will help give your humidity a boost too. What I would do with those plants if your sure they have no insecticides is take them out of the pots they're in and remove as much of that dirt from the roots then repot them with new dirt. Should be ok for your enclosure then.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & welcome. One thing you don’t want to do is buy plants from any old garden centre and plant them in the enclosure straight away. You have no idea what they have been sprayed with or fertilized. It’s really best to get a “clean” plant, remove the soil, replant, let it grow out for awhile.

Hanging plants in the enclosure so they trail down works well. Pothos really do well, are edible, propagate easily.

Good luck.

TerrenceRedFoot

Plymouth
Well thank you lol but I'm still learning myself too.

@TerrenceRedFoot You want to try to aim for about 80% humidity for at least the first few years. This is crucial for smooth growth. It's best done with a closed Viv, or some type of enclosed enclosure. The idea is you don't want too much area for air exchange to occur. Once you've got enclosure sealed all you'll have to do is pour a little water into your substrate. Plants will help give your humidity a boost too. What I would do with those plants if your sure they have no insecticides is take them out of the pots they're in and remove as much of that dirt from the roots then repot them with new dirt. Should be ok for your enclosure then.
Thank you for your response! Our viv is closed but We open it up a lot which is something we will do less to try and keep the humidity up too.
We will repot them and let them grow for a little bit before putting them in his enclosure?

Treasure Island Jay

Treasure Island FL
Hi Everyone.