PLANTS I CAN GROW DURING WINTER PLEASE HELP

awesomecs

5 Year Member
guys I need help, I have been feeding my Russain tort and she dosent look happy with the food a groccery stores, so I need something I can grow in winter that they can eat and grows fairly quickly pls respond, btw I fed her mostly weeds and cacti before during spring/summer/early fall

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cactus can be easily grown inside or many stores will have it for sale. Polish or Mexican markets where I live sell them and whole foods also. As for weeds, etc, tortoisesupply.com sells a seed mix perfect for your tort.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Cactus can be easily grown inside or many stores will have it for sale. Polish or Mexican markets where I live sell them and whole foods also. As for weeds, etc, tortoisesupply.com sells a seed mix perfect for your tort.

thanks! I tried growing cactus, and it worked, but when winter hit I couldn't grow any for some reason? the enclosure was warm 84 degrees

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need a very bright light to grow plants inside. Try planting some squash and pumpkin seeds. The tortoises love those leaves. But, like I said, you'll need a very bright light over the plant bed.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Get a specific grow bulb. It will give you the best results. You can find them about anywhere, hardware stores have them even a Walmart or Kmart probably.
This is my fancy set up :) I just got seeds from tortoise supply and planted them in a 50 gallon bin. I covered it with a clear plastic shower curtain to keep humidity and heat in and the cat out.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481344531.489394.jpg

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot guys!!, but do you know anything that keeps heat in and doesn't let humidity out, cause I used a bottle greenhouse but the plants got to big, and then they died shortly after they got out the greenhouse (BTW the plants where still saplings )

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Do you know any other materials to grow plants, like to keep humidity and light inside

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe Leigti answered your question and even showed a picture in her post #5

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you know any other materials to grow plants, like to keep humidity and light inside
What do you mean? The set up I have keeps humidity in and heat. The bin is 20 inches deep. The grow bulb is the right type to grow plants. A regular bulb will get them through when they're tiny but when they start getting bigger it won't help them. There are lots of ways to do it but this was the easiest way I could figure.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The Broadleaf Testudo Mix from Tortoise Supply is a great deal. You get a lot of seeds for a good price and they grow pretty quickly. :) I've yet to try to grow them indoors but I think they should be a good seed mix to begin with. They grew great outside in the summer here in Michigan.

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix