Plants for redfoot tortoise enclosure

Angie C.

5 Year Member
I’ve been meaning to plant their outdoor enclosure for awhile now and would like to plant a whole tropical garden. Are colocasia and alocasia ok to put inside with the redfoots?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I've got Hostas, hibiscus, Boston fern, lyriopi, a banana plant, and various tortoise seed mixes growing in my pen. I don't know about the ones you posted with tortoises but what I can tell you is I've got Green Taro growing in my pond and my water turtles eat it often with no harm.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've got Hostas, hibiscus, Boston fern, lyriopi, a banana plant, and various tortoise seed mixes growing in my pen. I don't know about the ones you posted with tortoises but what I can tell you is I've got Green Taro growing in my pond and my water turtles eat it often with no harm.
Same here with Lyriopi. These are some of my favorite GO TO enclosure plants! Very inexpensive. Trample resistant. Low light and low water tolerance. Grow quickly and they get large.
But not listed as edible.
I've never had a single issue with them.
If I went outside right now, I'll bet you I'd find every single tortoise hiding in some Lyriopi.

Wolfmama

Georgia
There are a few people I follow on YouTube that run tortoise rescues and I have seen where they have elephant ears of both varieties and have said it has not caused any problems. The tortoises don't mess with it too much and the ones that do eat it in moderation. I have huge elephant ears that I have been thinking of using in my future plans for an outdoor enclosure. I just plan on using them and monitoring. If I see anything weird I can easily pull it up and move it. Im definitely not an expert, but I have seen them used just fine.