Planting Aloe Vera

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
They tend to be full sun plants. I don't know how well they would do in the lighting over most enclosures. As bright as your enclosure may be, it's not full sun bright. But no way to know without trying. Maybe someone who has actually tried will share their experience.

daniellenc

Maryland
They tend to be full sun plants. I don't know how well they would do in the lighting over most enclosures. As bright as your enclosure may be, it's not full sun bright. But no way to know without trying. Maybe someone who has actually tried will share their experience.

@Will I have aloe in mine planted in pots and have for almost a year now. They seem to be doing just fine. I use regular UV bulbs nothing fancy and haven't had any issues other than I think they grow much slower than my outdoor plants.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
@Will I have aloe in mine planted in pots and have for almost a year now. They seem to be doing just fine. I use regular UV bulbs nothing fancy and haven't had any issues other than I think they grow much slower than my outdoor plants.
I guess that is the deal then, more light more growth, but vivaria lighting is enough. Aloe Vera is used as a landscape plant all over in southern California, and it can grow large pretty fast. Often planted as it is also drought tolerant.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I haven't tried aloe vera in my box turtle's indoor enclosure yet, but if I were going to...

1. I'd start with one that hadn't been living under full sun exposure the last few months (especially since some of those months were summer).

2. I'd leave it potted, as noted above. You might need to experiment with the location inside the enclosure to get the conditions right.

3. I'd put it fairly close to right under the basking light. I use a ZooMed PowerSun UV 100W, so most real plants under it get crisp. I have a couple birds nest sansevierias hanging by orchid pot hangers from the top of the enclosure (55 gallon Rubbermaid tote). They are close to the light, exposed to the basking light, and they are the only real plants have actually thrived in that position. They're getting more light than they did among the other houseplants, and they have been growing, offsetting, and generally happy.

There's no guarantee an aloe would fair as well as my birds nest sansevierias, but it's definitely worth a shot. I look forward to hearing how it goes. :)