Plant suggestions?

Hey guys!
So I am in the process of building an outdoor tortoise pen similar to the one below. I am wondering, what are some relatively easy plants to plant in the pen? I live in Texas... I would like some flowers and herbs if possible. Thanks! ImageUploadedByTortForum1395454113.401378.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

katrvt

5 Year Member
Hibiscus and roses would do very well, and torts Love them.. could also plant an optunia cactus or two. Aloe Vera would likely thrive as well.

In terms of herbs, I'd try mint for sure, maybe Basil, parsley, or cilantro? Not sure on growing conditions for the lattermost two.

katrvt said:
Hibiscus and roses would do very well, and torts Love them.. could also plant an optunia cactus or two. Aloe Vera would likely thrive as well.

In terms of herbs, I'd try mint for sure, maybe Basil, parsley, or cilantro? Not sure on growing conditions for the lattermost two.

Thanks! I LOVE basil plants, so I'll probably put one or two in there! :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Jade plant, geranium, mallow, plantain, chicory, pansy, California poppy, (only California poppy-not any others), spider plant. It comes down to variety that healthy and can handle the non stop attention of a tortoise.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Jade plant, geranium, mallow, plantain, chicory, pansy, California poppy, (only California poppy-not any others), spider plant. It comes down to variety that healthy and can handle the non stop attention of a tortoise.

Thanks!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
In my big sulcata pen, I will be planting some squash plants in a protected raised area. This way, the vines can grow out, the tortoises can eat on them, yet they can't eat them down to root tops.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Plant suggestions?

Cowboy_Ken said:
In my big sulcata pen, I will be planting some squash plants in a protected raised area. This way, the vines can grow out, the tortoises can eat on them, yet they can't eat them down to root tops.

Good luck. I did something similar for the Russians, and they pulled it down within a day.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Cowboy_Ken said:
What did they pull down? The plant or the structure?

The plant. I had it up on 3 stacked cinder blocks.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
I'd never thought of that part of it. Normally, for plants the I want to get established, shrubs for instance, I'll block them from getting to them, the once thriving, I remove the barrier. This will be the first time to try vines.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Cowboy_Ken said:
I'd never thought of that part of it. Normally, for plants the I want to get established, shrubs for instance, I'll block them from getting to them, the once thriving, I remove the barrier. This will be the first time to try vines.

Yeahhhhhhhh.. Good luck.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Cowboy_Ken said:
Thanks Tiffany. Coming from you, that means a lot.

Wow. I almost kept a straight face when I texted that.

The key word there is /almost/. Better luck next time. :rolleyes::p

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Aargh! Avoid the Bromeliads! That big leafy one with ONE red blossom! Not toxic or anything but apparently it only blossoms ONCE and if you break that blossom off, or eat it haha, it will never grow back! Lol

tortgirl123

You can go to a breeders web site and order all kinds of these seeds that our tortoise experts are talking about! :)