Plant IDs

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange, CA
I am interested in harvesting some wild plants for my CDTs from the large open wild area behind my house. I went on a walk and snapped some pics of various plants. I have tried to ID them and have come across a couple already. If anyone knows if any of these are safe, I'd sure appreciate it.

this is very pic-heavy so I apologize if this breaks forum etiquette.

This is sort of a mass of thin branches with small leaves and yellow flowers:
01.jpg

This one is lower to the ground with wider leaves and flowers that resemble daisies:
02A.jpg 02B.jpg

Short plant with silvery leaves:
03.jpg

This is low-growing with an almost ice-plant or succulent texture:
04A.jpg 04B.jpg

A tall, climbing vine with purple, trumpet-like flowers:
05A.jpg 05B.jpg

Oval leaves and think tubular flowers:
06A.jpg 06B.jpg 06C.jpg

Approx. 3 feet high with clusters of white flowers:
07.jpg

Tall thin stems with white cup-like flowers:
08A.jpg 08B.jpg 08C.jpg

Short weed with long, thin leaves:
09.jpg

Low ground cover:
10.jpg

Low-growing vine with yellow flowers:
11.jpg

Finally, here are some weeds and plants I have in my patio:
13.jpg 14.jpg 15A.jpg 15B.jpg 15C.jpg

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
Looks like I missed the window. I apologize and I'll try to re-do the post here.

I am interested in harvesting some wild plants for my CDTs from the large open wild area behind my house. I went on a walk and snapped some pics of various plants. I have tried to ID them and have come across a couple already. If anyone knows if any of these are safe, I'd sure appreciate it.

this is very pic-heavy so I apologize if this breaks forum etiquette.

This is sort of a mass of thin branches with small leaves and yellow flowers:
1. 01.jpg

This one is lower to the ground with wider leaves and flowers that resemble daisies:
2.02A.jpg 02B.jpg

Short plant with silvery leaves:
3.03.jpg

This is low-growing with an almost ice-plant or succulent texture:
4.04A.jpg 04B.jpg

A tall, climbing vine with purple, trumpet-like flowers:
5.05A.jpg 05B.jpg

Oval leaves and think tubular flowers:
6.06A.jpg06B.jpg 06C.jpg

Approx. 3 feet high with clusters of white flowers:
7.07.jpg

Tall thin stems with white cup-like flowers:
8.08A.jpg 08B.jpg 08C.jpg

Short weed with long, thin leaves:
9.09.jpg

Low ground cover:
10.10.jpg

Low-growing vine with yellow flowers:
11.11.jpg

Finally, here are some weeds and plants I have in my patio:
12.13.jpg

13.14.jpg

14.15A.jpg 15B.jpg

15.15C.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
(1) is a wild mustard; safe but your tortoise may not eat it. It's not native to our area.

(2) is a wild sunflower; safe in moderation.

(3) I should know but can't remember right now!

(4) is purslane; safe.

(5) is morning glory; not safe

(6) looks like wild tobacco to me; not safe

(7) is buckwheat; safe and one they surely eat in the wild.

(8) is a mantejilla poppy (fried egg plant); there are different kinds of poppies, some are safe, some aren't. I can't find information specific to this one but it's in a poppy family that is listed as not safe in the Tortoise Table. The Tortoise Table is very conservative. I have a feeling CDT's eat these in the wild but I wouldn't feed it without doing a more specific search on CDT diet.

(10) looks like vetch to me; some are safe, some aren't. I know at least one is listed on a CDT diet sheet somewhere but I'm not familiar with the different types, let's see what others have to say.

(11) is a lantana, not safe.

I got nada on houseplants, sorry!

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
Thank you so much for all of you help! At least I have a couple I can forage.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Where are you, exactly? If you found all these, there are probably others around that are safe. You are surely in southern or central California? I pick stuff all the time; there is less of it now that things are drying up but may still be other weeds about. We've still got ground mallow, prickly lettuce, and sow thistles in some spots. If not now, these are still things to look forward to next spring. Bindweed is present all year round in our area.

Also, I thought I posted on a couple of the plants in your yard but it poufed!

(12) is mare's tail. Edible but usually ignored (although my Russian sometimes takes a bite). It turns into a tall and hideous weed very quickly so I'd pull it.

(13) is some kind of cactus, safe. Your tortoise can eat the spines, even if it's hard for humans to pick. If it still worries you, you can search in here on how to burn the spines off. Although it's probably easier to just buy some spinless opuntia at a local hispanic market and feed that. It will be labeled "nopales."

Tortoises eating cactus!

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3783.JPG

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
4 is not purslane, it is the New Zealand plant Myoporum. It should be considered toxic.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
10 is a ground-hugging Euphorbia formerly called Chamaecyce. They will have a distasteful milky sap.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you! I am in Orange County. There are definitely a ton more plants to check out, but I was just starting with the ones that are readily available.

I am in Orange County as well! Weeds are getting sad but I took note of a few that are very common and still growing near me on my last weed excursion.

Bristly Ox Tongue is related to dandelion and is usually appreciated by my Russian. They take a bit more water than the sunflowers you found but you might see them growing not too far apart. They both have lots of yellow flowers and the large flower buds look similar but the where the sunflower has a obvious brown center, ox tonge has plain yellow flowers with a flat top, like a dandelion. The flowers eventually turn fluffy, like dandelions. This plant may be really tall if it gets water or fairly low growing where it's dry. If you want to be 100% sure of what you've got, ox tongue leaves sticks to your clothes. :)

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

We also still have mallow. In the spring mallow is tall and green with big leaves, like the first picture. Now it's short, scruffy, and gray, like in the second picture. Spring mallow is always a hit, at this time of the year, my tortoise may or may not eat it.

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

Bindweed is something dependable for me into the summer or longer. You'll find it sending runners everywhere or climbing up other plants, including dead grass. Pink, purple, or white flowers are common; all bindweeds will have long stems that twist and curl and a leaf that looks something like an arrow. My Russian is a fan.

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3794.JPG

Good luck on the hunt!