Plant identification

LeahK

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley CA
My plant app tells me these are either hairy goldenasters or spiny goldweeds, but I can’t find either on the tortoise table under common or Latin names.

Attachments

• 22BE7DD8-C778-4B24-BDA8-5E1220DC6C23.jpeg
    22BE7DD8-C778-4B24-BDA8-5E1220DC6C23.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 9BEDCB8E-4A7F-425E-8188-2C6C70329FFD.jpeg
    9BEDCB8E-4A7F-425E-8188-2C6C70329FFD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

TisMary

New York
Thank you @LeahK for taking a whack at identifying this! I think you are correct about the "Hairy Goldenaster" (as opposed to "Golden Hairyaster"? ?) But, I digress! I googled (the former) and found this site Flora and Fauna Northwest which has lots of pix - see what you think: Heterotheca villosa (there's your botanical name)

It has the tiny flowers in the center (disk flowers) and then petals around the outside (ray flowers) - good indicator that you're looking at a member of the Sunflower (or Aster) Family (Asteraceae). But wait! There's more! Specifically, it's a member of the Aster Tribe of the Aster Subfamily of the Aster Family.

It was once thought to be in the Chrysopsis Family (Chrysopsis villosa). I can't find anything that tells me either Chrysopsis villosa or Heterotheca villosa are toxic. I suggest you do some more sleuthing about that though, just to be sure.

Beautiful flowers, aren't they?

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Thank you @LeahK for taking a whack at identifying this! I think you are correct about the "Hairy Goldenaster" (as opposed to "Golden Hairyaster"? ?) But, I digress! I googled (the former) and found this site Flora and Fauna Northwest which has lots of pix - see what you think: Heterotheca villosa (there's your botanical name)

It has the tiny flowers in the center (disk flowers) and then petals around the outside (ray flowers) - good indicator that you're looking at a member of the Sunflower (or Aster) Family (Asteraceae). But wait! There's more! Specifically, it's a member of the Aster Tribe of the Aster Subfamily of the Aster Family.

It was once thought to be in the Chrysopsis Family (Chrysopsis villosa). I can't find anything that tells me either Chrysopsis villosa or Heterotheca villosa are toxic. I suggest you do some more sleuthing about that though, just to be sure.

Beautiful flowers, aren't they?
Thank you for sharing all this information! It's helpful; I will try and look more into it to see if it's good for tortoises or not.

It is a really pretty flower, and there are a ton of them near me! There's a big area by the water where they grow, and it's really nice either way.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s likely sticky/curlycup gumweed; native to your area and in or close to flowering season. Should feel a little sticky on the flower end! :)

Safe enough, if your tortoise will eat it; my Russian won’t, at least not yet.

It’s a good plant for beneficial insects so good to have around. I actually have some in my yard for that purpose, even though it’s a bit drab most of the year,

TisMary

New York
It’s likely sticky/curlycup gumweed; native to your area and in or close to flowering season. Should feel a little sticky on the flower end! :)

Safe enough, if your tortoise will eat it; my Russian won’t, at least not yet.

It’s a good plant for beneficial insects so good to have around. I actually have some in my yard for that purpose, even though it’s a bit drab most of the year,
Thanks @RosemaryDW - the stickiness should help tell for sure. I found this reference - Gum weed, Resinweed - from Colorado State University which gives a good description of the leaves and other parts of the plant. (Note that they list it under the old name for the Sunflower Family - "Compositae"). I don't find this plant in TTT Plant database either.

@LeahK you'll want to be sure of what you've got here. Species of Grindelia can apparently accumulate Selenium from the soil. It is toxic to horses and cattle ("Selenium levels greater than 5 ppm should be considered potentially toxic"). Not sure what to make of that with regard to torts. Also, these plants contain tannic acid (see TTT Harmful Properties page).

Let us know how you make out!

1628433123446.png

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We aren’t going to find most north America plants in the Tortoise Table, as it was developed for owners in the U.K., unfortunately.

I think studies of mammals don’t tell us much about plant impacts to reptiles; it’s unfortunate there isn’t more research just on them. I and some other owners here take them with a grain of salt.

Tannins are indeed notable to most animals, as they make things taste astringent or bitter. Doesn’t mean they aren’t possibly harmful, just that they are unlikely to be eaten in large amounts.

Of course @LeahK needn’t feed anything she isn’t comfortable with. There are plenty of foods available she needn’t worry about. :)

TisMary

New York
We aren’t going to find most north America plants in the Tortoise Table, as it was developed for owners in the U.K., unfortunately.
I have not found that to be the case. Actually, these are the first plants I haven't been able to find there ? It is not unusual for plants to find their way onto other continents - such as from Europe to North America and vice versa. (From what I know of my own ancestors, I'm certain they brought some of their favorite plants and seeds with them) The world is a small place when it comes to plants!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
eI have not found that to be the case. Actually, these are the first plants I haven't been able to find there
?
It is not unusual for plants to find their way onto other continents - such as from Europe to North America and vice versa. (From what I know of my own ancestors, I'm certain they brought some of their favorite plants and seeds with them) The world place when it comes to plants
We do have quite a few who have moved over, sow thistle perhaps being the most commonly one mentioned here.

But the drier things get out on my end, the fewer matches we find. It is also of extremely limited use for our owners in other parts of the world. I’m happy to check there first—if nothing else I might find a Latin name that gives me an idea of next steps—but am quite used to moving on.

It is also often wrong; the science is based on mammal studies and/or contradicts itself. I don’t at all use it to judge toxicity; rather I check here to see what our most experienced owners have found or do further research myself.

Looking over the last ten or so ID’s I’ve made I’d say half of them were either made without the Table or were contradicted by other experiences/assessment of plant taxonomy.

So far as I am concerned it is a suspect resource and I am not alone in this. If it gives new or very conservative users comfort, that’s fine. If we consider it a biblical source things get iffy; I’d rather do the scientific review that you are so good at. :) If it’s something from a wetter part of the world, however, I’m likely to refrain altogether as my knowledge is limited there! I’m also terrible with grass, not owning any grass eaters.

Last edited: