Plant ID

solidsounds17

Location (City and/or State)
Inglewood, Ca
I’m completely clueless on plant names and what to start feeding some to my little guy. This specific one tends to grow a lot in my front yard, anyone know what it is?

Also any plant newbie tips?

6E8516CE-208D-4A35-8023-0283966E7B9B.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Not exactly sure of this, but USUALLY plants like this are grown from tubers (daffodils, tulips, alium, lilies, etc) are not good to feed.

So, don’t feed those flowers or leaves. I’ll just say “most” ornamental flowers that grow from bulbs/tubers are not good to feed.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Correct, agapanthus or Lily of the Nile. The tubers are supposedly toxic. We do have a post by one member whose sulcata ate a mess of tulip tubers and got a nasty face rash, I’d keep my tortoise far away from them.

I guess you could try offering a leaf in the enclosure, they aren’t harmful. Or you could avoid them entirely, in an abundance of caution,

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Again, back to some basic generalities. Things that grow from tubers or bulbs are usually best to avoid. Grasses, dandelions, plantain and a host of other good plants, trees & bushes are out there, no sense taking risks on other “questionable” plants.