Plant ID

Sycamore

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte, NC
Can anyone help me with plant ID and let me know if they are safe or toxic for tortoises. Thanks
Plant #1
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494170664.816574.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494170742.250359.jpg
Plant #2
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494170782.599538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494170798.383599.jpg
Plant #3
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494170843.700426.jpg
Plant #4
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494170892.266094.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494170916.899642.jpg
Plant #5
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494170943.299293.jpg
This one was kind of fuzzy so it didn't seem like food but I thought that I'd ask for an ID.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
#2 is plantain, safe.

#3 might be dock, not safe but let's have someome else confirm.

#5 might be primrose, hard for me to say without flowers; they are not natives where I live. Different sites say different things about safety; it's a do not feed in the Tortoise Table database but the reason why is quite vague.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Blackstem leaf plantain does and I believe it grows in your area.

Perhaps other types also have purple stems; blackstem is just the first one I found when I looked up purple stems.

IMG_3689.JPG

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
#1 looks like Violet and, according to The Tortoise Table, is safe to feed.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I second all of the above. For #1 was going to say that it kinda looked like our Dollarweed as far as the round small leaves and the growth habit, but dollarweed leaves here are flat and shiny... as for violet??? I'd think it'd grow more in "mounds" rather than "stringy runners". #4 looks like some kind of sage family

Sycamore

Charlotte, NC
For anyone who is interested, plant #1 is a dichondria and it seems to be safe though I haven't tried yet. Anymore ideas on the plantain, are there any poisonous look alikes, I say this because to me, bright colors mean bad to eat. I will check for flowers today to get a more positive ID and let y'all know if I find anything else.

Sycamore

Charlotte, NC
So I did find some pictures of the broadleaf with some purple so that will go into next weeks salad along with the dichondria. Thanks so much.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@zovick
Yes, it does have thorns on the vine.

Not sure of the name of the plant, but we have loads of it here in GA. I don't know if this means anything, but my tortoises don't eat it, even when it grows through the fences into their pens. I am constantly digging up the roots to get rid of this pesky invasive (and painful) vine.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Does anyone else think number four could be a brassica? I don't know about the purple veins but the shape of the leaves and the way they are placed around the stem makes me think so.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Not sure of the name of the plant, but we have loads of it here in GA. I don't know if this means anything, but my tortoises don't eat it, even when it grows through the fences into their pens. I am constantly digging up the roots to get rid of this pesky invasive (and painful) vine.
Not sure what proper name of it is but it grows here in TX too, it's a noxious prickly weed, dig the nasty thing up if you can. I hate that thing!!! Get it's prickles in my hands from them all the time. Nasty thing!