Plant ID x 2 not necessarily native to my area..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
These are 2 plants left over in my hanging basket I was wondering what they are if they could possibly be suitable to put in Olive's enclosure.. I'm not holding my breath!

The first one are long stems with little green leaves and white flowers almost ground covering like...
IMG_4976-vi.jpg

close up
IMG_4977-vi.jpg

2nd plant
IMG_4975-vi.jpg

close up has a very textured leaf.
IMG_4978-vi.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Have no idea on the first plant, but the second looks to be tricolor sage. Tortoises usually aren't big fans of eating herbs, but they shouldn't harm them if they do.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Good call with the sage I went out and sniffed it but nothing then I rubbed a leaf between my fingers and it smelled very strong and herb like... :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use Wikipedia for information, and if you put in what you want to know, "sutera cordata" then add "wiki" to it, the first response will be what Wikipedia has to say about it. Usually if its toxic, that is mentioned in the response, however nothing is said about the cordata, so I'm assuming it is not toxic.

Yvonne

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
It would make a lovely ground cover hide for her if I put it in.
I read up on it but then my species got confused with another one known as bacopa used for aquariums which mine is not.. so then I was back at square one with not 'much' info on it..
I havn't managed to find anywhere that it says it is toxic either...
Here is a better name they have given it to distinguish it more
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/chaenostomacord.htm

Hmmmm... She took a bite of the lavender yesterday and promptly turned her nose up at it!! Olive has never turned her nose up at anything so what I have been reading about them not particularly liking herbs is true..

I have written to the ASPCA to be sure...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am afraid the ASPCA will be of little if any help. Most have no idea of reptiles especially tortoises in my experience with them. I looked at the site you provided but found it to say it was trailing phlox. While researching Trailing Phlox I did not find it to be the same plant. I would use caution until we can be sure if it is OK. I will ask a horticulturalist that deals with tortoises if it is OK for Torts. Hopefully she will respond quickly. I did however find it here Sutera cordata http://www.pwcertified.com/grower/p...+-+Grower&searchKeywords=&btnSearch=Searching...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_Cabana

http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/9000620

But none of the sites gives a clue as to if it is ok for torts.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Crazy1 I spent so long looking and couldnt' find it either, the form I submitted to the ASPCA I wrote tortoise but I agree it seemed more dedicated to cats, dogs and horses..
Regardless I have decided not to use it in my indoor enclosure I went with some of the pansies and the tri-color sage I have had the hanging basket since April so I know it will be safe plus it's not planted in her enclosure as such I put them in a raised pot.
However I am still interested in the outcome of plant number 1 because for an outdoor enclosure it would be ideal and it grows really well, lasts and looks pretty providing a really nice low shade area.....

Status
Not open for further replies.