Plant id please, new pictures

LaRue

Hi I know I posted this in my first post, but thought I'd try again with better picture. It kind of reminds me of wild strawberry but the leaves alternate and it has a thin tubular root. It also kind of looks like a common lawn weed called green and gold. This is southern mississippi. And yes I have looked for hours on my own but just can't find it. Since this tortoise was a surprise, I'm struggling to make sure everything in the yard is safe for him. Thanks

1467734233089.jpg 1467734252273.jpg 1467734263642.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Must have missed your first post, but got this one! Just wanted to welcome you from very hot central Texas. I keep the Redfooted. The plant looks kinda like wild blackberry, but please don't quote me on that. Someone more familiar with your area flora hopefully comes along soon to help you. What I can say is that over the past 12 months of keeping tort babies I have become quite a bit more relaxed and no longer so worried over every little thing. I too was frantically pulling every plant in question out of their outside garden and I still do, the obvious ones (poisonous) but for the most part I know that my grand torts are very well fed, with good food and fresh water always available to them, they hardly ever graze on stuff. I only see them eat snails and graze on pansies and petunias outside. They seem to have no interest in any other plants. Again, plants that are known to be toxic (like oleander) I do make a point of getting out of their way just in case they were stupid enough to try chewing the rubbery leaves

LaRue

Must have missed your first post, but got this one! Just wanted to welcome you from very hot central Texas. I keep the Redfooted. The plant looks kinda like wild blackberry, but please don't quote me on that. Someone more familiar with your area flora hopefully comes along soon to help you. What I can say is that over the past 12 months of keeping tort babies I have become quite a bit more relaxed and no longer so worried over every little thing. I too was frantically pulling every plant in question out of their outside garden and I still do, the obvious ones (poisonous) but for the most part I know that my grand torts are very well fed, with good food and fresh water always available to them, they hardly ever graze on stuff. I only see them eat snails and graze on pansies and petunias outside. They seem to have no interest in any other plants. Again, plants that are known to be toxic (like oleander) I do make a point of getting out of their way just in case they were stupid enough to try chewing the rubbery leaves
Oh thank you. This guy is definitely a sulculta and I'm still hoping to find his owner. He showed up at my door about 3 weeks. He looks well cared for but will ONLY eat grass, and won't eat off a plate either. So im concerned whats in that grass. Luckly we never added fertilizer this year. Anyway I've done so much for him now, that if the owner does answer, we are getting a red footed. I always wanted one of those. But for now I'm just trying to keep this one safe.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Oh thank you. This guy is definitely a sulculta and I'm still hoping to find his owner. He showed up at my door about 3 weeks. He looks well cared for but will ONLY eat grass, and won't eat off a plate either. So im concerned whats in that grass. Luckly we never added fertilizer this year. Anyway I've done so much for him now, that if the owner does answer, we are getting a red footed. I always wanted one of those. But for now I'm just trying to keep this one safe.
Check out sulcata diet in species specific. Maybe he's eat Mazuri with that grass or that land tortoise diet. There are specially formulated diets for herbivorous species. Once you get your Redfoot, I can be of much more help. Have spent last 12 months reading, researching and countless hours on this forum. So far my babies are growing beautiful and healthy. I think I've got the RF baby enclosures, diet, heat, light, etc down to fine art:)