Plant id - las vegas (2)

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
4BBEB1EF-EBB7-4395-B768-F87363321F08.jpeg 89C37DE3-32BC-400F-AC87-E898E20F1657.jpeg

And

CA2639C9-9495-4441-8773-1C70BA9807A7.jpeg First time ive seen this anywhere on our property. It popped up in my petunia bed, no other weeds present

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The second one is a burr clover; that or a hop clover. Not true clovers in the way we think about them but relatives. Safe. Burr clover develops a bunch of little seed pods that stick to everything so either keep it trimmed of its yellow flowers or spend some time cleaning the plants out of your yard when they die back.

The first one is familiar but I can’t place it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first one reminds me of a violet???

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Thanks guys! Yeah the first one I feel like I came across it a while back while researching weeds on the internet but cannot find it again.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Not Vegas! At least not for long. It’s desert.

Dangit, it’s going to be something so simple.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Ha! I thought buckwheat at first but the only one I know with pink stems is pink buckwheat and the leaves aren’t the same. Otherwise it looked right.

I throw my vote in for flat topped buckwheat, safe! My Russian loves pink buckwheat, we’re waiting to find out how she feels about California buckwheat.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I didn’t pay attention to weeds last year because I didn’t get koopa until April, so I don’t remember if it flowers or how big it gets. But it grows like ground cover plants/weeds and is delicate for now.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Ha! I thought buckwheat at first but the only one I know with pink stems is pink buckwheat and the leaves aren’t the same. Otherwise it looked right.

I throw my vote in for flat topped buckwheat, safe! My Russian loves pink buckwheat, we’re waiting to find out how she feels about California buckwheat.
I don't know...I googled flat top buckwheat and the leaves aren't the same. I just am not sure.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Boo.

Buckwheats start low but grow high at some point. Some start with a low basal rosette of leaves like yours has. Are the leaves silvery gray underneath?

I sure hope iochroma knows!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think I might have it. Sulphur flower buckwheat. Plantsnap even says it's hard to ID because individual plants can look very different from each other.

What think y'all?
Eriogonum_umbellatum_4672.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We have pink buckwheat in the yard and I don’t think the first leaves look like that, but our plants are fairly established and the older leaves usually look different than the first ones.

Pink buckwheat growing back after tortoise devastation:

748000B8-676F-4D02-85A8-F89763E2785E.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We have pink buckwheat in the yard and I don’t think the first leaves look like that, but our plants are fairly established and the older leaves usually look different than the first ones.

Pink buckwheat growing back after tortoise devastation:

View attachment 268407
Did you see post 16? What do you think?