Plant ID for RT

Erisna

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Finally found some weeds in my landscaped area; anybody know what they are, and if they’re edible for a Russian?

1.25C34F8E-2BB9-4DC4-9FDD-8E66002BFFE6.jpeg

2. 46953AA6-C35C-49B5-A6A2-1B329E4761EB.jpeg

3. 7EE13643-C644-4416-90B9-BDD5AF1C761E.jpeg

Fish Breath

NY
2nd one is copperleaf. Might be edible, is for gopher tortoises, might not be for Russians. I wouldn’t feed it. Not much info on it

Fish Breath

NY
1st one is HIGHLY TOXIC, don’t feed it at ALL, but don’t be too alarmed if your tortoise nibbles on a few leaves, but make sure that he/she don’t, as this could possibly kill your tortoise. It’s a common Purslane

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know none of these. Its like you are on the other side of the country or something... :p

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
1st one is HIGHLY TOXIC, don’t feed it at ALL, but don’t be too alarmed if your tortoise nibbles on a few leaves, but make sure that he/she don’t, as this could possibly kill your tortoise. It’s a common Purslane
I think you must have checked that in The Tortoise Table? They are extremely conservative, which is fine for a new owner, but the science doesn’t always hold up. There isn’t any actual evidence that oxalic acid holds the kind of harm attributed to it; when fed as part of a varied diet it’s just fine. Lots of owners here feed it, or let their animals feed on it from the lawn.

Again, no need to feed anything you aren’t comfortable with; I’m just pointing out that not everyone agrees that the Tortoise Table’s database is completely accurate.

Now whether your tortoise will eat it is another matter. Some do, some don’t. My Russian will eat a little in the spring, that’s about it.

Fish Breath

NY
I think you must have checked that in The Tortoise Table? They are extremely conservative, which is fine for a new owner, but the science doesn’t always hold up. There isn’t any actual evidence that oxalic acid holds the kind of harm attributed to it; when fed as part of a varied diet it’s just fine. Lots of owners here feed it, or let their animals feed on it from the lawn.

Again, no need to feed anything you aren’t comfortable with; I’m just pointing out that not everyone agrees that the Tortoise Table’s database is completely accurate.

Now whether your tortoise will eat it is another matter. Some do, some don’t. My Russian will eat a little in the spring, that’s about it.
Oh I’m not basing it off of one source; most plants anyways can be fed as part of a varied diet; I do use at least 3 sources each, and if it’s possibly bad for a tort it isn’t worth the risk for me, just saying.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Oh I’m not basing it off of one source; most plants anyways can be fed as part of a varied diet; I do use at least 3 sources each, and if it’s possibly bad for a tort it isn’t worth the risk for me, just saying.
Of course. Only you can know what’s best for *your* tortoise!

Erisna

Florida
Thanks for the ID, Fish! Looks like those aren’t good options for daily staples, I’ll keep looking.

Also, Tom, you’re not an expert on every tort safe plant in the northern hemisphere? For shame, for shame!! XD