Plant ID and replanting help

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
THose look like wild onions with those long skinny stalks. As for transplanting weeds (OMG i am saying this) dig around them as far as ther leaves reach and a shovel blade depth. they dont need a lot and they have earned their moniker of WEEDS.

Nickoli

Ohio
THose look like wild onions with those long skinny stalks. As for transplanting weeds (OMG i am saying this) dig around them as far as ther leaves reach and a shovel blade depth. they dont need a lot and they have earned their moniker of WEEDS.
Okay, got it! Thanks so much for replying.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Wow, thanks for your help! When you say that the wild grapes are safe does that mean I can feed just the leaves or can I put the vine part in with her as well as long as there are not grapes attached? Also, in response to the picture you circled- I will go check if it is a different plant and take a picture if it is! Thanks again

You can feed the leaves, they have lots of fiber. I’m not sure what kind of tortoise you have; the leaves are fine for all, although you might have to cut them into strips and mix with other foods in you are putting them inside an enclosure, they’re pretty flat and hard to grab.

I imagine they are safe to grow in an enclosure if you’ve got the energy to keep them trained and cut back. No, you would not want your tortoise to have access to grapes unless they are a naturally fruit eating species but clipping of flower sprays before they turn into grapes shouldn’t be hard on a wild grape. They don’t have as much fruit as domesticated grapes. They are also pretty sour, not delicious tortoise candy.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

I was going to guess some kind of wild onions well. Kind of pretty when they bloom. Plus who doesn’t want free onions! Or at least onion stalks (surely they taste like green onions?)

Nickoli

Ohio
You can feed the leaves, they have lots of fiber. I’m not sure what kind of tortoise you have; the leaves are fine for all, although you might have to cut them into strips and mix with other foods in you are putting them inside an enclosure, they’re pretty flat and hard to grab.

I imagine they are safe to grow in an enclosure if you’ve got the energy to keep them trained and cut back. No, you would not want your tortoise to have access to grapes unless they are a naturally fruit eating species but clipping of flower sprays before they turn into grapes shouldn’t be hard on a wild grape. They don’t have as much fruit as domesticated grapes. They are also pretty sour, not delicious tortoise candy.
I have a Russian tortoise! Yeah I wasnt going to feed the grapes I meant to ask if the vine itself is edible for tortoises, but you answered that anyways. I will just feed the leafs then! Thanks for the help I really appreciate everyone on this forum helping me out so much.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Great. My Russian only seems to like them in the spring, when they first start growing. It’s one of the few foods I will hand feed, as they seem super hard for her to pick up off the ground.

Nickoli

Ohio
Great. My Russian only seems to like them in the spring, when they first start growing. It’s one of the few foods I will hand feed, as they seem super hard for her to pick up off the ground.
Aw thats sweet. Also I'm sorry to keep asking questions but just to clarify this is what the leafs look like on the onions, correct? There were a lot of plants growing pretty densely in that area so i want to double check before feeding any.

Attachments

• 20190622_180208.jpg
    20190622_180208.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Nickoli

Ohio
Aw thats sweet. Also I'm sorry to keep asking questions but just to clarify this is what the leafs look like on the onions, correct? There were a lot of plants growing pretty densely in that area so i want to double check before feeding any.
Welp just googled to get a general idea and Im assuming that this is not an onion leaf at all lol. Sorry for being goofy. By leaves did you mean the stocks the flowers grow on?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welp just googled to get a general idea and Im assuming that this is not an onion leaf at all lol. Sorry for being goofy. By leaves did you mean the stocks the flowers grow on?

Yes, I meant the stalks the flowers grow on; they might look like green onions.

I don’t think the ones with the flowers are the same as the plant in front of them; I think that’s two entirely different plants. Onions behind and whatever that one with the large green leaves is. I don’t know that one. Doesn’t look “unsafe” to me, maybe something in the mallow family, but that’s not enough to go on! Has it ever flowered?

If you get to reading up on the onions, you’ll find some warnings that say anything that grows out of a bulb, like onions, shouldn’t be fed. I don’t agree with the bulb advice and my Russian loves chives and green garlic and green onion tops on occasion. But given how much she likes them I don’t think I’d leave a bunch of them in my yard; to stay on the safe side.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
IMG_0149.jpg

This is a mallow that I dug up yesterday from an overgrown area of my garden. It initially had transplantation shock but this morning it is really perked up!

IMG_0150.jpg
This is shepherd purse, recently moved it’s looking floppy but will come on.

IMG_0152.jpg

This was a test replanting, not sure what the weed is but is was a lot smaller when I put it in there, behind it is a plantain that has been half eaten by slugs.

As some others have said, try to get as much of the root as possible, dig wise around it and once replanted give it plenty of water for a few days.

Hoka's Mom

Ann Arbor
I sent away for "weed seeds"..the things we do for our torts!

Nickoli

Ohio
View attachment 275253

This is a mallow that I dug up yesterday from an overgrown area of my garden. It initially had transplantation shock but this morning it is really perked up!

View attachment 275254
This is shepherd purse, recently moved it’s looking floppy but will come on.

View attachment 275255

This was a test replanting, not sure what the weed is but is was a lot smaller when I put it in there, behind it is a plantain that has been half eaten by slugs.

As some others have said, try to get as much of the root as possible, dig wise around it and once replanted give it plenty of water for a few days.
Sorry for never replying, I've been a bit busy. Thank you for the pictures! Part of my issue is that I do not have an outdoor enclosure in which I can replant these weeds- I was going to replant them in some planters. Not sure how well the weeds will grow if I do use pots/planters. Thanks again for the reference pictures!!