Plant ID and replanting help

Nickoli

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Does anyone have tips for harvesting and replanting weeds for the purpose of growing more for your tortoise? I am not sure if there are any good ways to replant weeds so that they survive and continue to grow. I also need help identifying these weeds that I am hoping to replant (The second and third picture may be the same plant- I saw some differences and thought I ought to double check).

weed indentifcation.jpg weeds identification 1.jpg weed idenfication 2.jpg weed indentifation 3.jpg weed indentifation 4.jpg weed identification 5.jpg weed indentifation 6.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
They probably won't survive. I get the broad leaf Testudo seed mix from tortoise supply.

Nickoli

Ohio
They probably won't survive. I get the broad leaf Testudo seed mix from tortoise supply.
Thank you for your reply, I am just a bit dubious about feeding a mix when I do not know exactly what plants are in it. I do have a mediterranean tortoise so that seed mix should work I guess. Thank you so much for the suggestion! In the meantime, if anyone has any idea what these plants are I would really appreciate the help. I feed my tortoise grocery store greens and want to make the switch to a more suitable diet of weeds.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you for your reply, I am just a bit dubious about feeding a mix when I do not know exactly what plants are in it. I do have a mediterranean tortoise so that seed mix should work I guess. Thank you so much for the suggestion! In the meantime, if anyone has any idea what these plants are I would really appreciate the help. I feed my tortoise grocery store greens and want to make the switch to a more suitable diet of weeds.
First one looks like dandelion, second and third is broad leaf plantation. Both of which are in the Testudo mix.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
1 - dandelion
2 - plantain
3 - plantain

All good food, but unless you dig out a ton of dirt with each plant, and their tap roots, prob die.

Get the seeds.and heavily plant. Good luck

Nickoli

Ohio
First one looks like dandelion, second and third is broad leaf plantation. Both of which are in the Testudo mix.
Thank you so much! I will pick some of the plantain while I wait for the seed mix to come in the mail. I really appreciate your help!

Nickoli

Ohio
1 - dandelion
2 - plantain
3 - plantain

All good food, but unless you dig out a ton of dirt with each plant, and their tap roots, prob die.

Get the seeds.and heavily plant. Good luck
Thank you for your help!

Nickoli

Ohio
Some more info on one of your photos

View attachment 275098
Wow, thank you so much! Is it okay if I send you another picture in the replies? I did not post one of the pictures because there were a lot of different types of weeds. Thanks again for labeling the picture that is super helpful and kind of you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Wow, thank you so much! Is it okay if I send you another picture in the replies? I did not post one of the pictures because there were a lot of different types of weeds. Thanks again for labeling the picture that is super helpful and kind of you!

Sure. Send away

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Looks like you have a nice “Broadleaf Dock”

Weed Characteristics
Other names: bitter dock, bluntleaf dock, Indian tobacco
Leaf type: Broadleaf
Flowers: Green, red, pink, white
Long, narrow leaves have a rough surface and wavy edges. Stiff, upright stems rise to 4 ft. above a low rosette of leaves. Showy seedheads persist through the winter. Tolerates poorly drained soils.

Tortoise Table info - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=134&c=6#.XQvu3f8pChA

Nickoli

Ohio
Looks like you have a nice “Broadleaf Dock”

Weed Characteristics
Other names: bitter dock, bluntleaf dock, Indian tobacco
Leaf type: Broadleaf
Flowers: Green, red, pink, white
Long, narrow leaves have a rough surface and wavy edges. Stiff, upright stems rise to 4 ft. above a low rosette of leaves. Showy seedheads persist through the winter. Tolerates poorly drained soils.

Tortoise Table info - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=134&c=6#.XQvu3f8pChA
Looks like I have a lot of plants in my yard that are not suitable for my tort! Glad I found a lot of the plantain. I will mix that in with her store bought greens while I wait for the seed mix to come and start growing. Thank you for all your help!!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Going left to right, your first photo is something in the chicory family, a dandelion relative: safe.

I support the earlier identification of plantain.

Not sure how one ended up in that spot but that fourth photo is grape, probably a wild one? Safe.

The fifth is horseweed, safe but tortoises won’t eat it. It becomes a monster weed so I pull mine very quickly.

The last is violets, perhaps? We don’t get them where I live but the heart shaped leaves make me think of them as a possible plant. Violets are safe

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I think you have another plant growing through/behind the dock? I’ve marked. Is it the plant with the wispy looking flower heads or is that something yet again?

26139766-D901-413C-8A19-B257F452EE4F.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yep...somehow I missed this one...agree, Wild Grape
Going left to right, your first photo is something in the chicory family, a dandelion relative: safe.

Not sure how one ended up in that spot but that fourth photo is grape, probably a wild one? Safe.

The fifth is horseweed, safe but tortoises won’t eat it. It becomes a monster weed so I pull mine very quickly.

The last is violets, perhaps? We don’t get them where I live but the heart shaped leaves make me think of them as a possible plant. Violets are safe

Problem with those violets, is that they look too bushy and tall, growing up into the fence. Wild violets here in our neck of the woods are flatter, close to the ground. Those in the pix look more like some type of ivy. Not sure.

Lots of plantain growing underneath too.

Attachments

• 268413E9-FFC2-427E-AE35-89F2C023152D.jpeg
    268413E9-FFC2-427E-AE35-89F2C023152D.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 15

Nickoli

Ohio

Wow, thanks for your help! When you say that the wild grapes are safe does that mean I can feed just the leaves or can I put the vine part in with her as well as long as there are not grapes attached? Also, in response to the picture you circled- I will go check if it is a different plant and take a picture if it is! Thanks again

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I have dug up and replanted lots of weeds and although they have taken a while and appear dead for a few days, they do eventually come back. I’ll post a few pics tomorrow.
I just dug up a Mallow from on area and I’ve planted it in my enclosure, it looks horrendous it’s got transplantation shock but plenty of water and within a few days it should pick up. I’ve had success replanting plantain. The good thing about it, it just keeps growing and growing when you cut it.

Nickoli

Ohio
I have dug up and replanted lots of weeds and although they have taken a while and appear dead for a few days, they do eventually come back. I’ll post a few pics tomorrow.
I just dug up a Mallow from on area and I’ve planted it in my enclosure, it looks horrendous it’s got transplantation shock but plenty of water and within a few days it should pick up. I’ve had success replanting plantain. The good thing about it, it just keeps growing and growing when you cut it.
I would really appreciate if you sent pictures! What kind of soil/pot did you transfer it to?

Nickoli

Ohio
I think you have another plant growing through/behind the dock? I’ve marked. Is it the plant with the wispy looking flower heads or is that something yet again?

View attachment 275157
Yep looks like its a different plant. Heres a better picture. We are doing yard work now to pull up the weeds that arent edible for my tortoise.

Attachments

• 20190622_170827.jpg
    20190622_170827.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10