Planning for a Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllCoExPat

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. As you can see from my post count, I finally made the jump from lurker to participant... and if feels good. :)

I've spent the last three or four months browsing through the forum and trying to get my research in before diving in and bringing home a tort of my own.

I went to a local reptile show here in Maryland over the weekend to pick up some supplies, meet and greet some "local" vendors, and see what, if anything the had in the way of tortoises. Only two of the vendors had torts and only one with a Russian that appeared to have some real gouges/chunks out of his shell. It looked like old damage that has had plenty of time to heal, though and he seemed happy enough checking out his surroundings there. It was tempting to bring him/her home, but I want to have my habitat up and running before bringing one home with me.

That's all been a long way of saying that I'm in the process of getting things set up - I have two tubs (the smaller one pictured, and a 55-gallong Rubbermaid), a Powersun 100w MVB bulb and hood, coconut coir for the substrate, a terracotta dish for water, a half log hide, and a slate tile for feeding.

I'm going to pick up a lamp stand from a friend this week and have two probe thermometer/hydrometers that should be delivered this week as well. Hopefully by Thursday or Friday, I can set things up and start dialing in the temp and humidity.

So, my question to the group is: What am I missing (aside from greens, of course)? When the time comes, I want to make the transition for the my tort as stress free as possible.

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone as a participant around here. :)

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 34

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Your supplies look great: lighting, substrate, etc.!
Very impressive that you are planning ahead.

One 55 gallon tub will work, especially if you can work out a way to get your tort into an outside enclosure, even a simple one, over the warmer months.
If you are feeling ambitious, you could think about connecting two 55 gallon tubs, using the smaller tub as a bridge (regular house bulb for lighting in the second one).
Pick up a cuttlebone (same as the ones they use for birds) that your tortoise can nibble on (eventually).

Keep asking question!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
How fun! I can't wait to see the lucky tortoise :O) What made you decide on a Russian?

AllCoExPat

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Your supplies look great: lighting, substrate, etc.!
Very impressive that you are planning ahead.

One 55 gallon tub will work, especially if you can work out a way to get your tort into an outside enclosure, even a simple one, over the warmer months.
If you are feeling ambitious, you could think about connecting two 55 gallon tubs, using the smaller tub as a bridge (regular house bulb for lighting in the second one).
Pick up a cuttlebone (same as the ones they use for birds) that your tortoise can nibble on (eventually).

Keep asking question!

Thanks! I picked up a cuttlebone tonight on my way home from work. Unfortunately, I'm going to need to use the smaller container to start. The stand I have is not wide enough to keep the 55 gallon tub/lamp combination stable when I tried it tonight. The tub is going to have to be off the floor because of a very sweet, but inquisitive chocolate lab and an English bulldog who has a tendency to rearrange furniture whenever he bumps into it. I've been watching yard sales for a small dinette table that I could use as a base for 150 gallon pre-formed patio ponds from Home Depot. I'm still kicking around some options, though, since I'm hoping to find a "smallish" Russian in hopes that will give me time to piece together a more permanent, dog-friendly indoor arrangement. I've still got a few months before the decent weather sets in here, so hopefully I've also got the outdoor arrangements figured out by then too.

MasterOogway said:
How fun! I can't wait to see the lucky tortoise :O) What made you decide on a Russian?

I'll get some pics up just as soon as I've got one home. After all the reading I've done, I wanted something that wasn't going to need a super sophisticated arrangement for humidity and one that was a little more on the hearty side. When you have a bulldog, you learn to appreciate animals that aren't hopelessly high maintenance. ;-) The Russian kept coming to the top of the list!

Here's a pic of the current set up as I play around with the lighting.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Welcome and I am very excited for you. It seems like you have what you need except the greens of course. Looking forward to when you get your tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.