Plannig to create this area into the new turt/tort area, but need to id the weeds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Need to ID the weeds around it and in it! Please let me know what they are if you know

Number 1

DSCI0019.jpg

Number 2

DSCI0020.jpg

Number 3

DSCI0021.jpg

Number 4

DSCI0022.jpg

Number 5

DSCI0025.jpg

Number 6

DSCI0026.jpg

Number 7

DSCI0028.jpg

Number 8

DSCI0030.jpg

Number 9

DSCI0031.jpg

Number 10

DSCI0032.jpg

Day 7 for BB, he went for a soak and he has gained a total of 2 grams since i had him. lost a gram then he gained it back plus one more.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a lot of #1 too, and they don't eat it. I try to pull it up before it blooms because the seeds are like the dandelion...millions of seeds on a hairy thread.

#2 is dock. We call it sour dock here. Its toxic and no one eats it. It grows like a carrot and you have to be sure to get all of the carrot-like tuber when pulling it out because a new plant will grow from even the smallest piece of tuber if left in the ground.

#5 is fillarree. It is quite healthful for the cattle to eat, so I would assume it is also healthful for tortoises. It is tasty and they do eat it.

#6 looks like baby dock plantlets. The plant shoots up a long stem with millions of seeds on it at maturity.

Besides the grass (I think nut grass) that's a violet plant. Edible.

#9 heavenly bamboo. I've heard its toxic.

I have #10 planted in my Aldabran pen and they eat the fallen leaves. The name escapes me at the moment, but seems to me I remember that it is on the toxic plant lists.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I think number 3 and number 7 are on the 'bad' list.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Ok, so it seems that in general, i only have to figure out what 7 is.. I think 3 is the same. The rest are removable or not in the pen, but in the yard some where....

Thank you...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
#3 looks a lot like my Johnson's Blue perennial geranium, and #7 looks a lot like my buttercup. #8 is wood violet, I think.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Stephanie Logan said:
#3 looks a lot like my Johnson's Blue perennial geranium, and #7 looks a lot like my buttercup. #8 is wood violet, I think.

Edible or not?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think #10 is Japonicum, or privet. My tortoises eat it, but I think its on the toxic lists.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Dang, I don't know where that long list went that I printed off of here. I'll scout around for it. I'm pretty sure geraniums are OK but buttercup is not, and I don't know at all about wood violets...I think I might try to find that old thread on the forum and just post the link! ;)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Found it! :D

Here's the thread with recommended foods and ratios, lists of edible plants and lists of toxic plants. :p

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

Compiled by our own Robyn, or Crazy1. Speaking of crazy, why hasn't Robyn been posting on here lately? Is she shirking her responsibilities? :p

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
maggie3fan said:
#4 is dandelion

Dandelion? your kidding right? but the leaves are smooth and not jagged?

Thanks for the list..i had one right in front of me, but i hadnt opened the mail yet

M

Maggie Cummings

They look like the big dandelions I pick for Bob...but even if they aren't dandelions Bob and my smaller tortoises eat them and love'em.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
My tortoises eat it, but I think its on the toxic lists.
I have #10 planted in my Aldabran pen and they eat the fallen leaves. The name escapes me at the moment, but seems to me I remember that it is on the toxic plant lists.

Yvonne, these are cut posts from you, aren't you funny. Yeah, toxic, but hey they eat it!!!
Guess the're pretty tough, or I assume there is just not enough to worry about..
Na

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of the toxic lists are put together for mammals. Tortoises are much more tolerant of the alkaloids in plants and can eat quite a few plants that mammals can't. Doesn't mean you need to tempt fate, though.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
number 3 and 7 look different to me, check 7 to see if it is a vine. I have (what looks to be the same) in my yard and it grows on a vine all over the yard and has been identified as an IVY ! which is on the poison list i have found no way to get rid of it!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
it seems to be a very thick ground cover..... 7 that is...

I guess i will have to take it to the nursery.... i live a whole block away, but its hit or miss on who is working and is most knowledgeable

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
RE: Plannig to create this area into the new turt/tort area, but need to id the weeds

Here's the thread with recommended foods and ratios, lists of edible plants and lists of toxic plants. :p

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

I did not see Buttercup on the list good or bad, my backyard is full of it and this other plant. See below. We think there is Bermuda grass starting as well. Thanks in advance.

DSC00881.JPG

In the planned outdoor pen, I do plan to completely redo the soil and remove the established plants if they are not safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, Terra, for hi-jacking your post, but it sorta' is related.

Webskipper:

The plant on the left is wild mustard (I think) and the one on the right is mallow. Mallow is edible, but I think the mustard is not because my tortoises won't touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.