Plaintain seedlings and a pretty tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last year I put a plantain plant in a pot to see how it would do, well it just set there and produced seed stems, never got any new leaves.I set it off to the side last fall and forgot about it.Look at the pot now.I should have used a larger pot, not sure how I am going to separate them, probably use a spoon and put a spoonful in 6 inch pots then thin them as they grow.---The cherry blossom tree is a little over 40 years old, I haven't trimmed it back for two years.I need to do that this year. I wish it kept the blooms all summer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG, Len, what a pretty tree!

On the plantain, the seed stalk first looks green, then when the seeds ripen it turns brown. At that time, I grab ahold of the stem at the bottom and slide my hand up the stalk. Most of the seeds come off in my hand. I then disperse them in the yard where I want new plants to come up.

You can take a teaspoon and dig out spoonsful and plant them where you want them. They're pretty hardy and withstand transplanting well.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks for posting your plantain pot, it gives me hope. There's a healthy patch of plantain in the city park, but none in my yard. I bought seeds from Carolina Pet Supply but had none germinate in my indoor pots. I just broadcast the seeds into my outdoor enclosures, hoping for the best. Next I'll try transplanting a plant from the city park, and letting it go to seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.