Pio finally outside...some pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Today was in the 70's here, and I though I'd take Pio outside for some sun. This is his first time out this year.

some pictures from last year in his new enclosure:
048-1.jpg

012-7.jpg

001-12.jpg

004-8.jpg

Today ....Poor Pio...only a few pansies to munch on and a few dandelions.....nothing has come up yet and everything looks so bare. He must be wondering where all the flowers are.....

044-3.jpg

038-5.jpg

037-3.jpg

033-5.jpg

035-6.jpg

030-8.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Terry Pio looks so happy outside. He's looking at the water like it might still be too cold for him though. I'm glad you posted pictures so I could look at your setup for him. I want to put a little pond in Dale's enclosure so this will help show my husband what I want. Everything looks good and Pio is happy again outside. :D

chadk

10 Year Member!
Very nice. And look at that smooooth shell :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My gosh, Terry...you've gone from snow to 70 degrees in just one week??? Well, happy spring! Pio looks great.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you all...Yes those are giant hosta's, Carl. They are just starting to come up. Last year Pio would sit under them during the day when it was sunny instead of going into his hide.

009-12.jpg

022-5.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Pio is the very picture of health and comfort. I can't wait to see your artwork this year...by the end of June or so, his paradise should be in full bloom! :p

Maybe you should change his label to "strawberry-head" instead of "cherry-head". ;)

tangale

5 Year Member
NYC
Hi Terry, beautiful enclosure and tortoise! As someone mentioned, Pio has got a very smooth shell.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Simply wonderful that the outside matches his inside enclosure. Life is good for Pio!

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Man is he getting big! How long is he? Nice marbling and obviously nice outside palace :)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
terryo said:
Bryan, Pio is 6 in. now.
Awwwww.....here's "baby Pio" when he was only 2 in.
Scan0012-2.jpg

He was obviously cute as a button then but man is he ever turning out to be an impressive sub adult tort!

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Terry, how did you create the pond? How deep is it? I would love to create something like this, but don't know where to start. What did you use to create the barriers? Did you bury any hardware cloth to prevent digging out? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just very interested in this.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It was a big planter, and I didn't put anything to prevent him from digging out. My son dug an impression of the stream going into a small pond. Then he put a piece of pond liner on the whole thing. Then black cement, and put a small pail into the pond to make an impression for the pump. When the cement dried he took out the pail. We put river rocks along the stream and some in the pond, because it was a little too deep for Pio last year. This year I took them out. We put the pump into the hole he made with the pail and the tubing comes around the back of the enclosure up to the little water fall that he made with some flat slate. That's it. There is a thing at the end of the tubing where the pump is that I switch and then the water comes out of another piece of tubing to clean the pond. I'm making another enclosure with the same type of pond and stream only a little bigger for a boxie garden. We ran into some problems with drainage so my son had to put a pipe in the bottom of that enclosure now. I hope I explained it right.

014-12.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After seeing your back yard with snow all over it, it amazes me how beautiful it looks once Spring arrives. You are so lucky to have worker bees to help you like that. I love your back yard and can't wait to see the new box turtle enclosure.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I think you may need to make the rounds to everyone's backyard and show us all how to do it right! It is perfect! Pio also looks great.

Allegra

Status
Not open for further replies.