Pink belly sidenecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with pink belly sidenecks. I was offered three of them in a trade for something I had for sale. The person I got them from works at a zoo and they were dropped there and he kept them for about 10 months. They look healthy and well cared for.

Now, I have a good bit of experience with painted turtles, but have never had sidenecks before. My question is this, should I have them set up the same way a painted turtle would be? I'm a little worried because they have never "basked" on their dock since I have had them. I thought turtles needed to get out of the water every once in a while to dry their shell some. Never had one not bask before. They are about 3, 3 and 4 inches right now, ball park. They are in a 75 gallon tank, water over half full. A turtle dock with Mercury vapor bulb. I've read a lot on the internet about them but not really getting the clear answer I'm looking for.

It's getting too late tonight but I will post pictures of them sometime tomorrow. Any information that I should know about these guys that differ from painteds would be appreciated.:tort:

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks Yvonne, I've actually read that and did notice under lighting and temperature it says they are not a basking turtle. That's the only place I've ever read that fact.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Cherbear said:
Thanks Yvonne, I've actually read that and did notice under lighting and temperature it says they are not a basking turtle. That's the only place I've ever read that fact.

They will come out and bask if need be.......If they don't have to, then they won't.......The same principle can be applied for any water based Turtle......

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Here's a couple pics.

008.jpg

007-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.