Pink Albino Stinkpot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Out of the very few albino stinkpots there are, this is the best one I have seen. I'm so happy to work with this male, it's freaking pink! I have four very happy girls he's going to be with this winter, hopefully there will be a pile of hets hatching next spring.
17647b6bbb74765ce2a1d5ad37dc6532_zps580cf10a.jpg

42c0773a45e7d3f04ffc5fa655cdff53_zps51b0fc5c.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ew...he's naked!

I never noticed the pattern on the inside of the front legs before. I don't understand the 'het' stuff. Does what you said above mean that your girls aren't albinos?

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
I love stinkpots! Very impressive. Coloring!!!

Sent from my LG-L38C using TortForum mobile app

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wow!! He is a special one for sure!!!
Love the pink!!! :) :)

Shredder

5 Year Member
Gorgeous turtle seems like theres going to be a caramel pink of every species Ha ha

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Yvonne G said:
Ew...he's naked!

I never noticed the pattern on the inside of the front legs before. I don't understand the 'het' stuff. Does what you said above mean that your girls aren't albinos?

Yes. That means the babies will be part albino, part not. You also may hear terms occasionally quantifying hets, like quarter het or things like that. That term would mean the turtle is only a quarter albino.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
theTurtleRoom said:
Yvonne G said:
Ew...he's naked!

Yes. That means the babies will be part albino, part not. You also may hear terms occasionally quantifying hets, like quarter het or things like that. That term would mean the turtle is only a quarter albino.

This male bred to a normal female would produce all normal looking odoratus, 100% heterozygous for albino. They're all gene carriers and could be used later on to produce albinos. The plan, to reduce the amount of inbreeding, is to produce hets from non related females and to pair up the hets from different clutches. This would dilute the gene, and with proper records, any effects from the line breeding can be avoided. When you breed two hets together you end up with, 25% normals, 50% heterzygous(normal looking gene carrier), and 25% albino. Basically you will see 1 out of 4 will be albino, and the other 3 will look normal. This is where you will here percentages describing the hets, in this case the possible hets or 50% hets. The hets are completely normal looking and there is no way to tell which is the heterozygous or the normal, hence the possible hets. If you breed a albino to a het, the clutch should result in 50% albinos and 50% hets(not possible hets)+/-. If one of the parents is a albino, all the normal looking offspring will be 100% heterozygous, and the percentages are for each egg, not per clutch. This means in the het x het pairing where there should be 25% albinos, it's really a 25% chance of each egg hatching albino I've have hatched het x het clutches that were all albino and some that had no albinos. Hoe this doesn't make it more confusing.

Steve, give me a call if you get a chance, bud.
fa2778aa1371f41d063841a8759409a5_zps0bc8897f.jpg

fiveash

5 Year Member
What is he?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using TortForum mobile app

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Very cool turtle, Gerard.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Not to sound repetitive, but very cool! Is he sensitive to sunlight?

I wonder this about all the albino shelled animals. Is the shell sensitive if it has no pigment?

Status
Not open for further replies.