Pictures inside yellow bumps

shawnateerow

Location (City and/or State)
Maurice
Here are a couple pics of the bacteria killing our babies. My vet took a sample from Bonnie's granuloma and put it in a slide under a microscope, just thought I would share!

received_646659765972739.jpegreceived_800341034116726.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i read an article one time about a zoo that had a similar outbreak in egyptian and pancake tortoises , they attributed it to a wet environment , as they discovered rain leaking in their enclosures after the outbreak , i don't recall the results ....... this type of infection is fairly studied and written on .......... i believe the chain/filament structure is an indication of the type bacteria ........... i've read opinions this requires long term treatment like respiratory mycoplasma infections , i do recall seeing where tortoises with this problem died from fungal lung infection ......... my guess would be dry up the tortoises environment while this is a problem , and treat with a drug that is effective on mycobacteria ...... myself , i'd go to a pet shop and get some maracyn2 , or fish min ,or whatever else is minocycline , i'd add to the bath i was soaking him in , and keep him dry and clean .... bacteria do not do well in dry environments , they thrive in wet humid environments ......

Dermatophilus congolensis
Gram-stain-with-characteristic-branching-filaments-with-train-track-form-or-hypha-like.png

m. chelonae

beadedlonggpr01sml.jpg

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
@mastershake has your lab mentioned the possibility of a type of streptococcus?
according to the lab it is not strep. and if yours had the same thing it starts inside before you see it on the outside. i have a pair that were necropsied already. i sent your pics to the lab to see what they say. remember you can not only test the surface of this though this needs to go deeper then that. how deep of a sample did he take?

Last edited:

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
@shawnateerow If you can get a sample sent to UF, they can confirm whether or not it's the same thing they're working on in the lab.
this is why we need more samples. to know if what everyone is seeing is the same thing. it may not be and thats why its so important to know for sure. i was told that only injectable antibiotics will help (if they can) and this is for sure something systemic its all throughout the body not just on the skin.

also no offense to any vet but this is actually being grown out and tested against antibiotics etc at the lab the vets office only looks at a top layer or so under a microscope its totally not the same thing as doing full testing

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i read an article one time about a zoo that had a similar outbreak in egyptian and pancake tortoises , they attributed it to a wet environment , as they discovered rain leaking in their enclosures after the outbreak , i don't recall the results ....... this type of infection is fairly studied and written on .......... i believe the chain/filament structure is an indication of the type bacteria ........... i've read opinions this requires long term treatment like respiratory mycoplasma infections , i do recall seeing where tortoises with this problem died from fungal lung infection ......... my guess would be dry up the tortoises environment while this is a problem , and treat with a drug that is effective on mycobacteria ...... myself , i'd go to a pet shop and get some maracyn2 , or fish min ,or whatever else is minocycline , i'd add to the bath i was soaking him in , and keep him dry and clean .... bacteria do not do well in dry environments , they thrive in wet humid environments ......

Dermatophilus congolensis
Gram-stain-with-characteristic-branching-filaments-with-train-track-form-or-hypha-like.png

m. chelonae

beadedlonggpr01sml.jpg
It was confirmed the samples we already have are 100% not myco infections so far

shawnateerow

Maurice
according to the lab it is not strep. and if yours had the same thing it starts inside before you see it on the outside. i have a pair that were necropsied already. i sent your pics to the lab to see what they say. remember you can not only test the surface of this though this needs to go deeper then that. how deep of a sample did he take?

He was on able to take a sample from the 1 largest spot she had on her knee. He is growing the cultures to try to test from that and those pictures are from the fluid inside the granuloma. Between that and all the antibiotics and fluids and all everyday, and am financially drained and I can't go to the vet anymore for a little while...if, God forbid, she or one of the others would pass I will definitely send them to you for your lab

shawnateerow

Maurice
He was on able to take a sample from the 1 largest spot she had on her knee. He is growing the cultures to try to test from that and those pictures are from the fluid inside the granuloma. Between that and all the antibiotics and fluids and all everyday, and am financially drained and I can't go to the vet anymore for a little while...if, God forbid, she or one of the others would pass I will definitely send them to you for your lab

He took the whole spot off, but not so deep that it left her with a sore, if that answers your question

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I know this is incredibly hard on you. You have such a big heart, and I hate that you're having to go through this. I'm proud of how strong you've been and how dedicated you are. Bonnie is lucky to have you.

shawnateerow

Maurice
T
I know this is incredibly hard on you. You have such a big heart, and I hate that you're having to go through this. I'm proud of how strong you've been and how dedicated you are. Bonnie is lucky to have you.

Thank you love. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I want so badly to do anything that could help get answers, but I also won't do anything invasive while she is alive that could risk her health?‍♀️?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is he doing actual pcr testing?
It sounds as though the vet is doing culture and sensitivity testing. PCR would need a more sophisticated lab like the one with which you are working and there was no mention of any samples being sent to U of FL or any other lab.

shawnateerow

Maurice
It sounds as though the vet is doing culture and sensitivity testing. PCR would need a more sophisticated lab like the one with which you are working and there was no mention of any samples being sent to U of FL or any other lab.

He did mention sending off samples to a lab when the cultures grow..im not sure which lab on to what extent they are testing

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
so i just spoke to our lab and the dr. this is a deep seeded bacterial infection and it spread to the organs and to various places in the tissue all over. it is not strep and it is not myco. we should have the final reports soon and then i can post more info.

if he is sending off samples please ask him to send them to uf to dr oz. this way we can try to keep all samples together and have a wide sample set.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio

the odds most vet clinics can culture mycobacteria is slim ....... i read an article by a doctor called the mycoplasma lady or something along those lines , she said mycobacteria was the hardest bacteria she had ever tried to culture ......

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
the odds of those lesions containing one type of bacteria i'd also think is slim to none .......