pics of new boxie pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Here is my new boxie pen. It is 12'x6'. I still need to do some inside landscaping, but the boxies seem to like it so far.

penjpg.jpg

pen1jpg.jpg

pen3jpg.jpg

pen2jpg.jpg

Peek-a-boo...
pen5jpg.jpg

Photos of boxies coming soon...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Very nice. I just finished phase 1 of mine. Mine will look very similar to yours when I'm done. But not quite as nice as I'm using mostly scrap wood. Mine is about 5x9 and currently has 3 boxies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Nice enclosure, nIce and roomy, I know you said you are going to landscape it.. so can't wait to see it all landscaped. box turtle looks happy too.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's already great, so it will be super great when you are finished. Is that all your property? I would feel like I died and went to heaven. It is so beautiful there.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It looks great Kelly :D Just one thing :p Are the box turtles able to get around the outside of your shelter? Because they'll try ;) so easier to make sure that they can.

Danny

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
It looks great Kelly :D Just one thing :p Are the box turtles able to get around the outside of your shelter? Because they'll try ;) so easier to make sure that they can.

Danny

Ha Ha, good eye Danny. No there were not able to and I found that out this morning when 2 of them were "stuck". I have since then moved the hide boxes out more so they could walk around.

Terryo: Yes, I have 37 acres so what you are seeing is my property. I'll have to post property photos one day. We have a spring fed creek that runs a half mile through here also. In most spots it is 80' wide and anywhere from 1-5' deep. :D

And thank you Millerlite, Isa and chadk. I am still not too sure what I will be putting in the enclosure for ground clutter, but I will figure it out. I was thinking some Hostas, but I will have to see.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Kelly...you HAVE to post pictures of the property and the creek...pleaseeeeeeeeee. I live in NY and can't even imagine having 37 acres. My yard is 100 x 45, and I am pooped from cleaning it, but I love it.
I put some hosta's, dandelion, pansies, moss at the edge of the little pond so they don't track in as much dirt, strawberries, small (very little) Rose of Shanon sprouts from the ground around my big tree, and some spring mix seeds, ornamental grass for hiding under, grape vine, creeping jenny for ground cover so they don't dig all over the place, and some sedum and day lillies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
terryo said:
Oh Kelly...you HAVE to post pictures of the property and the creek...pleaseeeeeeeeee. I live in NY and can't even imagine having 37 acres. My yard is 100 x 45, and I am pooped from cleaning it, but I love it.
I put some hosta's, dandelion, pansies, moss at the edge of the little pond so they don't track in as much dirt, strawberries, small (very little) Rose of Shanon sprouts from the ground around my big tree, and some spring mix seeds, ornamental grass for hiding under, grape vine, creeping jenny for ground cover so they don't dig all over the place, and some sedum and day lillies.

I'll see what kind of pictures I can come up with. :D All in all, we mow about 7 acres. 2 acres for the house and about 5 for the farm. The rest we grow for hay. Which I hate, by the way, I would prefer all of it mowed.

I have plenty of rose of sharons, hostas and dandelion so that should not be a problem. I have several free samples of "weedy flower mix" from the turtle cafe, do you think that will work too?

Here is one I found. See my boy in the background? This is part of the creek. If you look sort of to the top and right. Do you see that cave looking thing? That is the 2nd of the large underground springs. The water is 60* all year round.
Jake.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I am just speechless. That is so beautiful. I'm a city gal, and I can't imagine having this in my "backyard". You are so lucky.
Don't forget to post some pictures when you are finished with your boxie pen.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kelly, the pic of your boxie pen looks great. I'm sure they will be so happy with the room and the landscaping you will put in. Great Job. But I have to say I love the pic of your creek with your 'boy' in it. What a wonderful picture, and beautiful dog. Lucky, Lucky girl. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have to post one more time about this picture...sorry...It looks like a beautiful oil painting...really! If this was my picture and of course my stream, and I had a bunch of money, I would have someone paint it in oils and hang it in my living room.........

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Terryo, what are you talking about, didn't you just post some pics that looked VERY similiar, (albeit just a tad smaller,) of what you and your son built for your torts!!! I thought that was in your backyard also.?
Na

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
A tad smaller????.... Nay, my backyard is 45' x 100'...we are taling feet here not acre's....lol My tiny, teeny stream is only 5' long. My little tort pen is only 7' by 6' ....I want that stream for ME not my torts....I just want to sit there and look at nature...Ahhhhhhh....in another life maybe. lol

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Well Terry your little tort pen had the same effect on alot of people!! Sure what many of us wouldn't give to have more, but ya know sometimes it's all relative. And yes I would LOVE that stream for me also..But right now I am settling for a stream like yours for my torts!!
Take care Nay

chadk

10 Year Member!
One thing I did with mine is dig a trench down the middle that slops down to a small pond on one end. I have lots of old logs and branches set up for use as natural hides as well as a few planters cut in half to form hides as well. I kept the edges clear, but maily to keep them from climbing too easily. I don't have a lid on mine yet, but that is coming! I'm going to let the natural grasses and weeds grow back and probably end up adding some ferns as well as some edible landscaping.

In the heat we've been having here (110 one day last week not far from Seattle!!) the turtles really appreciated the little pond (mud bog right now). It is just a hole in the ground\dirt at this point that i fill up once a day. I plan to add some concrete+liner to hold water longer. Their little oasis draws in lots of bugs, worms, slugs, snails, etc - so they should get some good eating as a side benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.