Pics of "King" Julio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
Here are some that I got today. Note the pinky mouse. This is the first time I've seem him eat. enjoy.

KingJulio001.jpg

KingJulio002.jpg

KingJulio004.jpg

KingJulio008.jpg

KingJulio011.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
You should not feed him on sand. That could be ingested and tear up his sensitive innards. I feed both my snakes in a seperate container as well, so that I never get bitten by mistake when I reach in there for a cuddle. If you offer food right in the enclosure, you can imagine how they could get confused.

What do you have for him for humidity? He'll need a humid hide at least, if you want him to shed normally. I don't like calcisand as a substrate for anything. I'd use aspen for him, or eco earth.

chadk

10 Year Member!
The idea that you should feed them in seperate containers to avoid being bitten is a myth really.
Most of us are reaching in their enclosures quite often and they are used to you getting in there to clean, change water, pick them up, etc. They have a very good sense of smell. So as long as your hands don't smell like rodents, you should be fine...

I feed my ball python, 2 dumerils, and Mexican Boa in their own enclosures and have never been mistaken for food... In fact some snakes are nervous eaters and can be quite shy when it comes to eating. Moving them from container to container can stress them out and make them even more stressed and not able to eat. But really it comes down to personal preference. If you like to feed them in their own or in another, it really boils down to what works best for you and your snakes.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't think its a myth. My breeder even said to do so....he's been bitten by little ball pythons atleast once a day because he feeds in the tubs.

Its a conditioned response. My older snake perks RIGHT up whenever he's in a different container, because he knows what's coming. (I've moved up in sizes of feeding containers more than once--so its not the smell of the box)

He gets super trigger happy, and has a majorly aggressive feeding response. But nothing of the sort when I take him out of his cage.

Plus you avoid feeding on substrate. I would say, UNLESS you have nervous feeder, don't feed in the enclosure IMO. Especially if its your first snake. Being bitten by anything is a shock, and snakes are lightning quick. It stunned me the first time, and my bp was just a little guy. (its more the shock than the pain)

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
chadk said:
So you've been bitten, AND you feed in a seperate tub? I have several snakes, feed them in their own cage, and have never been bitten...

But read up on it and you'll see most folks with more than a few snakes (too much hassle to move snakes around on feeding day) go with feeding them in their own enclosures.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94197&highlight=feeding+seperate+tub

I dont feed a seperate container. Its not necessary. The snake knows if you have a mouse or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.