Pics of Decorated/Planted Christmas Tree Storage Bins Please - Trying to Revamp

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi All,
Please post pics of your storage bin enclosures.
I’m trying to revamp Matteo’s enclosure now that he’s big enough he’s not flipping over. I’ve added rocks, large water saucer, etc. it’s not attractive. I need help. Additional coir should be here soon to make the substrate deeper and a new plastic hide is coming too.

I want to keep his comfort and safety foremost. How much room for gravel and decor vs. substrate?

Thanks!

5F9B4C72-56EB-4834-B3BD-B6795DF43018.jpeg796354CC-E13A-4797-ADC1-2A890EEC4770.jpegimage.jpg

Please post pic of bins with rocks, logs, plants, and hides/caves.

Last edited:

Quixx66

Louisiana
I’ve packed the coir since the above pic. Additional coir will be arriving this week because it’s insufficient. I’m waiting on his new black dish-tub hide.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Go to Michaels and buy fake plants. Young tortoises (and adults) appreciate being able to hide under greenery. Most of the plants there are very tough and nearly impossible for a small tortoise to chew on. I use the fake plants in both my hatchling and adult enclosures with zero issues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Quixx66 : I set this one up for three different box turtles, different sub species and ages, prior to them going to Kapidolo Farms for sale:

christmas tree bin 2-8-21 a.jpgchristmas tree bin 2-8-21 b.jpgchristmas tree bin 2-8-21 c.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should say that they were all from hatchling to two years, so pretty small.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Go to Michaels and buy fake plants. Young tortoises (and adults) appreciate being able to hide under greenery. Most of the plants there are very tough and nearly impossible for a small tortoise to chew on. I use the fake plants in both my hatchling and adult enclosures with zero issues.
Great idea! I just bought real succulents, but they’re small, and I was wondering how to protect them. Thanks?

Quixx66

Louisiana