PICS - 4 New Box Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I recently I acquired four new 3 toed box turtles to my group.

I received these two girls yesterday. They were unexpected as I was offered them for a trade for my large female Asian Box turtle also pictured.

My new LTC female 3 toeds.
NewFemale3Toeds-Trade.jpg

My BIG Asian Box turtle who I traded.
May1.jpg

May2.jpg

I also acquired this 1.1 pair of LTC three toed box turtles a few weeks ago. As you can see in this picture, the male in the back wasn't ready for his close up!

NewFemaleMale3Toeds.jpg

He finally came out to show his pretty face. He's quite the looker and stud, as he was mating with the female the other day.

HandsomeMale3Toed1.jpg

HandsomeMale3Toed2.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Very nice, I like their colors!!! Do you hibernate them in the winter where you are or do you bring them in? I was curious how they would do in NJ.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Very nice! Three toed boxies are native to my state of Oklahoma. Yesterdays local paper said the Wildlife Fish and Game here is trying to change the law as to how many you can collect from the wild, and I was also unaware that they could be collected and sold!! Oklahoma is one of three states where it isn't illegal to collect and sell wild turtles here. All you need is a permit and you can go get as many as you want and turn around and sell them. I hope they get that law changed before they become endangered here!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congratulations Patrick their great looking tutles. The males color is outstanding.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Beautiful Coloring, Congrats on your new additions... The big one in the first picture looks almost as big as my old girl. I hope they change the law real fast!!

Dreamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great pics Pat, but am wondering.....I'm from Missouri, & like Carolyn, they are native here.
My hubby & I have wondered & it kinda looks like this in you boxies,about the three toed & the ornates
crossing. Where we used to live we had a lot of timber, thus alot of box turtles. Use to, the three toeds
carapaces were totally light with no marking & all dark brown heads, no color as yours shows.
Our Ornates still look the same. Just notice the differences in the 3 toeds. Whats ya alls opinion
on this? Btw, great looking turtles!!! Oh, also noticed a little bug hole in ones shell!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great pictures Patrick :D The new Three-toeds look great. :D

I've only heard of 3 actual T. c. triunguis/T. o. ornata hybrids that came from the wild. In 2 of those I've seen pictures and they are hybrids. Three-toeds are very variable with the color of their carapaces. Whats more common are T. c. carolina/T. c. triunguis crosses. I've seen tons of these crosses, with quite a few being for sale last year.
The small hole you saw in the carapace was a tick hole. They will actually chew into the shell to try to get some blood.

Danny

Dreamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the answer Danny! Yes, we had ALOT of ticks down in the timber & I certianly understand
their tenacity! LOL

Kay

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have also seen T.c. triunguis/T.c. major crosses. The T. carolina/ T. ornata cross would be very rare in the wild, different habitats (forest vs prairie).

Status
Not open for further replies.