Pickles and Crusher

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Both of my babies hit 50g on the scales today... then they pooped, LOL.. so the correct weights are now Pickles at 49g and Crusher at 47 g.. what’s interesting about this is that Pickles was “the runt” when I got them at 37 g.. crusher at 49g..
In 1 month Pickles has gained 12g while Crusher only gained 7... Never dreamed how much I would love these babies though! They are awesome

Attachments

• IMG_7899.jpg
    IMG_7899.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7901.jpg
    IMG_7901.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
They look awesome, you're doing great with them.

I appreciate you saying that... honestly, I am so scared that they are not gaining enough weight... or I’m going to see one experience hatchling failure syndrome because they weren’t started right...or any other thing you could possibly think of that could go wrong!! Lol

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I changed the substrate from cypress to fir (orchid)bark and I don’t think I like it. In the big aquarium you don’t notice a difference but in my homemade enclosure, it doesn’t hold the moisture the same:-(

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I appreciate you saying that... honestly, I am so scared that they are not gaining enough weight... or I’m going to see one experience hatchling failure syndrome because they weren’t started right...or any other thing you could possibly think of that could go wrong!! Lol
LOL, I feel your pain. I haven't been to a doctor in like 10 years, but with my tortoise I am a total hypochondriac, and I'm always worried he has something wrong with him.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
It's amazing what a difference the shell saver is making already. How often do you apply it, and how long do you leave it on for? Apologies if this has been answered already

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It's amazing what a difference the shell saver is making already. How often do you apply it, and how long do you leave it on for? Apologies if this has been answered already

I started out daily but found that it doesn’t really wear off that quick so now it’s about 3 times a week... Pickles seems to be growing taller.. or more rounder?? Crusher grows wider but flatter.. but Pickles is gaining almost two grams to crushers 1 now.. they act the same, eat the same, etc...

Turningstar

Florida
What and how much are you feeding them? We have had ours for a little over a month I think, and in the last 4 weeks, one has gained a gram and the other hasnt gained. They also havent grown that Ive seem by my measurements....

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I leave them food out constantly.. I take old out and put new in every morning but they eat a huge variety of everything! I have fig trees, Wild muscadine vines, a pumpkin patch, elephant ears, plenty of grasses and lake plants that I cut and mix together... not to mention I supplement with mazuri, flukers tortoise and zoomeds grass land tortoise food.. they are not picky at all. They also go out for 1 hour everyday and all you can hear is them chomping on stuff the whole time.. lol

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
What and how much are you feeding them? We have had ours for a little over a month I think, and in the last 4 weeks, one has gained a gram and the other hasnt gained. They also havent grown that Ive seem by my measurements....

I don’t think that is a good sign.. I know I’ve read your posts but remind me where did you get them?

Turningstar

Florida
I don’t think that is a good sign.. I know I’ve read your posts but remind me where did you get them?
Bought them from The Turtle Source. I had read that it was one of the largest turtle and tortoise breeders in the south, so I thought that was a good thing.
Once I read his care sheets, it was obvious that he hadnt started them optimally...

Turningstar

Florida
I leave them food out constantly.. I take old out and put new in every morning but they eat a huge variety of everything! I have fig trees, Wild muscadine vines, a pumpkin patch, elephant ears, plenty of grasses and lake plants that I cut and mix together... not to mention I supplement with mazuri, flukers tortoise and zoomeds grass land tortoise food.. they are not picky at all. They also go out for 1 hour everyday and all you can hear is them chomping on stuff the whole time.. lol
I feed mostly the same. Mazuri, grassland tortoise pellets, as much weeds and grass as they can eat, spring mix, collards, and reptivite and calcium. They eat what seems like a lot and poop a lot. They dont eat as much grass and weeds when they are outside as Id expect them to. Ive bought hibiscus and other plants, but am waiting for the fertilizer to get out before feeding. Ive got opuntia coming this week too. I even planted clover and testudo mix, bit hasnt sprouted yet.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Maybe it just takes them some time to build up after being negligently cared for??? I have measured mines carapace with the ruler and they are about 2-1/4”... That measurement hasn’t changed any that I can tell ...but they look bigger and feel heavier.. not to mention the weight shows on the scales. Did they tell you the hatch date for yours? I’m a first time tort owner btw... an expert by NO means :)

Turningstar

Florida
Maybe it just takes them some time to build up after being negligently cared for??? I have measured mines carapace with the ruler and they are about 2-1/4”... That measurement hasn’t changed any that I can tell ...but they look bigger and feel heavier.. not to mention the weight shows on the scales. Did they tell you the hatch date for yours? I’m a first time tort owner btw... an expert by NO means :)
When I bought them, they were suppposed to be 18-20 week old "well started" hatchlings. I didnt weigh them for a week because my scale needed a battery. They started at 65 and 63 grams. A couple weeks later they were 63 and 62 grams, but I weighed them before and not after soaking. Today they are 66 and 64 grams, and still at 2.5" long.
Im going to be so upset if they linger for months and die. Ive spent so much time, money and effort on their well being.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I thought I read somewhere that fig tree leaves are on the do NOT feed list? I have a fig tree and saw hubby giving Daisy a leaf and told him to stop feeding her that, he said she never ate it anyways lol

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I thought I read somewhere that fig tree leaves are on the do NOT feed list? I have a fig tree and saw hubby giving Daisy a leaf and told him to stop feeding her that, he said she never ate it anyways lol
The sap of fig leaves is an eye and skin irritant. That’s why it’s a no feed.