Picked up a new Redfoot today

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Legend and I drove down to Gurnee Mills, IL today to meet up with a girl from Chicago to pick up a Redfoot that she wanted to find a better home for. She has had the Redfoot since Sep 2002. A little bumpy but she did her homework and was taking very good care of him/her. She felt bad because she had been keeping it in a 6x6 pen inside of an apartment for 3 years. Im undecided on sex at this point, opinions welcomed? He/she is probably around 7", havent measured yet. Just got home from the drive down and back and have it in the tub soaking.

This is Akai :)
060508005.jpg

060508006.jpg

060508007.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Can't help you with the he/she issue but he/she does look very relaxed in the water! Very cute!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I would say you have a male from the looks so far but I'm not an expert.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Chucky said:
Yea thats what Im leaning towards myself, but I am wrong about 75% of the time. lol Im hoping Terry and Danny will chime in with their opinions.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
JustAnja said:
Chucky said:
Yea thats what Im leaning towards myself, but I am wrong about 75% of the time. lol Im hoping Terry and Danny will chime in with their opinions.

I believe your 25% part is correct this time Anja.. female!

nerd

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Redfoot NERD said:
JustAnja said:
Chucky said:

I believe your 25% part is correct this time Anja.. female!

nerd

LOL thanks Terry

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would say that there is a 95% + chance that your new redfoot is a girl. I have a couple of females that have quite large and long tails. For me the defining trait on a tail is where the vent is located. On a female it will be right near the end as is the case with your animal males will have a longer tail past the vent in order to position themselves properly for breeding. If the animal really is 7" straight line I would be quite confident that it is a girl. Also males tend to have a more pointy or tapered tail than females which are generally more blunt. Just my observations. Congrats regardless, one of the best things about redfoots is that they just don't fight like many of the other species. Best wishes Douglas Beard

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
elegans said:
I would say that there is a 95% + chance that your new redfoot is a girl. I have a couple of females that have quite large and long tails. For me the defining trait on a tail is where the vent is located. On a female it will be right near the end as is the case with your animal males will have a longer tail past the vent in order to position themselves properly for breeding. If the animal really is 7" straight line I would be quite confident that it is a girl. Also males tend to have a more pointy or tapered tail than females which are generally more blunt. Just my observations. Congrats regardless, one of the best things about redfoots is that they just don't fight like many of the other species. Best wishes Douglas Beard

Ditto Douglas..
BOWDOWN-1.gif

nerd

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm going to have to agree Anja, female. :D She looks great. :D

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thanks Doug, Danny and Terry. I just measured and its 6.5" on the nose SL. :) Not bad for a freebie, huh? ;)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
congrats on the new acquisition, anja. she looks pretty happy to be in her new home!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thanks Josh. I forgot to mention she is also a CB02, the girl had her paperwork from when she bought her from the breeder. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks like a fine new addition to the Redfoot tribe.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
oooh yaaay you! freebies area always the best!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Anja congratulations on your new Girl. She looks like she is really liking her soak.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thanks :) She has a really sweet personality, not shy at all.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
look awesome i also adopted a redfoot but......i believe its a yellowfoot cause of the scales above the nose. plus the head is pretty yellow but arms and legs are red. i should post up a pic so yall can help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.