Picked up a couple of Igs today, *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I picked up a couple of baby Iggy's today from someone that could no longer care for them. Wow.

There were several uncovered bulbs located in the enclosure, with one sticking sideways out of the wall. Neither Iguana has any spines, and the little one is missing a couple of toes.

The littlest of the two was literally "crispy," so I stuck him in a warm soak and he drank for 10 minutes straight. I pulled him out, and he is COVERED in stuck shed, open sores and mites. One foot is swollen, and he may be showing early signs of MBD in his front limbs. Very skinny too.

The other one is of course mite infested but has all of it's toes and is much more hydrated and better fed.

So, I gave them a betadine bath and I am off to pick up some permethrine. I'll rinse them and then bathe them with betadine again to treat the open sores.

She had told me I could have the cage, but I didn't have my pickup because I had been taking the kid's shopping and our truck doesn't have an extended cab, so I was going to go back in a couple days and pick it up. I just emailed and told her to burn it. I don't want to screw with cleaning it, and I am SO glad I didn't bring it into my house!!!

Wish me luck!

Kristina

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Good thing you found them. Iggys are probably the abused and miskept herp out there. Hope they enjoy the fire.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yeah, it sucks, poor babies. My mom just came over and said OMG when she saw them, and she isn't as much of a herp person as me, just picked up a few things from her daughter over the years, lol.

I agree, Igs are right up there with Sulcatas. It really sucks that these poor kids end up in the hands of people that have no idea what they are doing and no ambition to learn.

Kristina

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I met a lady at my vets that does iggy rescue in my area. She and I quite a discussion on lack of proper care of herps. She had some fine looking old gentlemen with their share of "battle scars". I sometimes wish Iggys and Sulcatas went for big bucks so people would take ownership seriously.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Sounds like .. the came into the right hands! ...
GO GO ... IGGYS!
;)
JD~

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Unfortunately I have been through this several times before. Luckily I have a couple of pre-screened homes on a waiting list, so if I can get these guys on the right road I have good homes for them to go to.

The little one is still drinking a lot, they annihilated their spring mix, so I am hopeful.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Remember about 15 20 years ago there were iguana's everywhre at every pet store? You could not walk around without bumping into a tank full of iguanas. I am glad they are not so abudant in the pet trade now adays.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They seem to be doing good, the little one is drinking and eating, they are both outside today in a sunning cage enjoying the sunshine.

I still think Iggys are too commonly sold, in fact, I see them being given away as prizes at the local fair and it makes me sick.

Kristina

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I hate the thought of the government taking away more of our freedoms, but there are several animals that I think should only be legal in climates where they can live outside at LEAST 9 months of the year...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
kyryah said:
I hate the thought of the government taking away more of our freedoms, but there are several animals that I think should only be legal in climates where they can live outside at LEAST 9 months of the year...

Absolutely!

Status
Not open for further replies.