Pic : turtles in some pagoda in Vietnam

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stells

Yes i do find it upsetting but think the thread should stay even if its just as a reminder of what happens to these creatures in other countries, and also to remind us that care for themin the best way we can to carry on doing what we do..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Agreed.. just because we dont see it, doesnt mean it doenst happen.. Denile gets you no where.
maybe some changes can be made if people tread lightly and don't upset cultures.
Work with them, not against them.

ian_zhang

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
At your service.
This is the pond where the turtles live
BELIEVE ME ! THE WATER IS NOT THAT DIRTY, YOU SEE THE WATER BLACK BECAUSE OF MY CAMERA, and it was an sunny day, so the water reflected light , make it become black ( I think so :| )
DSC01431.jpg

** the food usually given by the visitors. and luckily, nobody gives them the bad things or human's food ( like snack.... ). They eat vegetable day by day, sometimes they have a loaf of bread, or an apple, pear( and some Asian fruit ). And I notice there's cigarette too :|
DSC01430.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

There are a lot of Snail-eating-turtle, a common kind of turtle in my country ( it cost you $3-$4 one )
at a far corner. it is the living area of the tortoises. because it is hard to be seen, so just a few people give them food. I just known this tortoises' cage for about 1 year.So I come here once or twice a week for feeding them ( I really not sure if there's anyone takes care of them ???? )
Anytime I come, I used to buy 2 bunch of vegetable (its cheap, just 1/3 of $1,and there's a market near by), or sometimes I bring a bunch of bananas from my home to feed them ( just a few times )
DSC01433.jpg

They very like this kind of vegetable. everytime I give them. they eat it all, or just 'cause they are hungry ????
DSC01435.jpg

*** But there are few tortoise don't notice it ( I dont know why , but I sure they are hungry. In that situation, I have to use a long water-pipe to make the food near them )
DSC01436.jpg

Next post, I will give you the entire picture of this" turtles and tortoises' hell "
Im sorry if there is any grammar of English words mistake

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
thanks for more pics ian, keep them coming. very good of you to bring them vegatables

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
As far as the water turtles go...well, that isn't a bad place to live at all. They could be in a soup pot. I don't know about the tortoises though. Good for you for bringing the veggies....keep up the good work. Take some more pictures when you get a change. I know I've said it before, but I love seeing pictures of other cultures through the net, because I know I'll never get there to see it in person. So thanks for all the pictures. Don't worry about your English, it's fine.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
yes your english is great, and thank you for sharing. please keep them coming!!

can you also take some pictures of any other locations similar to this place? are there some other pagodas anywhere else? how do they compare?

also if anyone wants to know more about these... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagoda

ian_zhang

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
also if anyone wants to know more about these... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagoda

Hmm, Those pagodas located in China ( although Im Chinese, but Im living in Vietnam :() I known there's another pagoda pretty famous in my country, I promise I'll come there in the next few days. and definitely I will give you some pics of the turts and tors there :cool: ( hope that they are not treated bad )
Cheers

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ian thanks for sharing the pictures. It is sad and I am not sure if I would rather live there or be eaten and get it over quickly. Its all in a matter of preference.
I do think your awesome for going and feeding them and I would be doing the same thing. I would probably dump hundreds of gold fish in the ponds and pounds of greens for the torts.
Maybe we can set up a food fund and help you out feeding these guys on a regular basis.
Just an idea.

Everyone must remember no matter how sad this makes us its just the norm to there culture. Its like its normal for us to go buy pounds of beef and fish at our local grocery store. Those were once animals living in a non pet environment too. I get very sad for the poor torts and turtles but there culture believes they are doing nothing wrong just like we think we do nothing wrong when it comes to our food and beliefs.

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
Wow..Thank you for sharing with us..I had no idea...I love you picture taking, I feel like I'm a visitor myself...

Yes its sad how animals are treated...if only we all were vegetarians and treated animals as our equals on this planet..:cool:

barefootpoetry

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
terryo said:
As far as the water turtles go...well, that isn't a bad place to live at all. They could be in a soup pot. I don't know about the tortoises though. Good for you for bringing the veggies....keep up the good work. Take some more pictures when you get a change. I know I've said it before, but I love seeing pictures of other cultures through the net, because I know I'll never get there to see it in person. So thanks for all the pictures. Don't worry about your English, it's fine.

I agree that it doesn't look too bad for the water turtles. The torts don't look too comfortable though, they could probably use something nicer to stand on than hard concrete (at least that's what it looks like).

I really enjoy these pics, they might not be living in ideal conditions but they all look healthy and I'm glad you are feeding them. :)

ian_zhang

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey guys
I just visited another pagoda. That is a quite big pagoda, an there's a monk who in charge of taking care of the turs and tors ( He has a very good understanding about them, and he doing his job well too :) )
He separates different subspecies into lots of different tanks
Plz enjoy these pics, I just taken it today, but it seems something wrong with the camera :| so it displays the pics taken in 2005 :|
DSC04341.jpg

Just a few turtles and tortoises there, but I noticed there's a rate subspecies which can be extinct. It's 4-eyed turtle (sacalia quadriocellata)
DSC04336.jpg

DSC04335.jpg

*** And there's a Asian Box Turtle tank
DSC04338.jpg

Those Box Turtles are way obedient than mine :cool: ( you can compare by viewing this link http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-4872.html :cool:
Some kind of tortoise that I dunno know name :|
DSC04339.jpg

He said that those turtle are given by people. And they are treated very well

A reply can only contain 10 pics, so I have to post another one
Yesterday, I brought a bunch of bananas to feed the turtles at another pagoda ( which I shown you before ). Anyway, my family don't like eating bananas at all :shy:
Here's the pic of the pagoda
September087.jpg

And luckily I had a real chance to have a close view of the Temple Turtle. This one is one of the Asian biggest turtle.The times I had come before, it always lied in dark deep cornor.when grow up, it can be over 50cm ( 22'' I think) in length. It gonna be great when having one in my balcony :D, I will try to afford to have one in the future.
DSC04331.jpg

DSC04333.jpg

DSC04334.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They look a bit thin. Do they have a heat source? What is the weather there this time of year? What types of food can you get to them? We can help you decide what is best if you can mange to get it to them eaily from your area. Can you ad things? Hiding places dirt etc?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The fifth picture is of Leaf turtles. They are either Cyclemys pulchristriata or C. oldhami (was C. tcheponensis). I would have to see the plastrons to be sure.
The 7th, 8th and 9th pictures are of a Giant asian pond turtle, Heosemys grandis. The turtles above and to the right are the Temple turtles, H. annandalii
Great pictures Ian :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That giant Asian pond turtle is F-A-T!!!!! Me-thinks he gets more than his share of the food.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Ian. I LOVE looking at them.

Yvonne

ian_zhang

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I taken these pics in the Reptile section of the Zoo. There're lot of pythons, hundreds of lizards, dozens of big Iguanas, but just a few tortoises and turtles :|

The date which displayed in the pic is wrong. and I don't know how to set it :(
The turtles are behind the glass, so maybe the pics quality are quite bad
Here's the Temple turtle ( I think ) :|
113.jpg

It has a serious wound, I think it caused by fighting with another
114.jpg

113-1.jpg

One of the most common tortoises in Asian countries : elongated tortoise :cool:
117.jpg

and here's the Soft shell turtle. although it also is a big turtle, but I guess there is no one want to have it.:cool:
131.jpg

132.jpg

It might be over 20kg. yeah, it very big and fat, but I know a place which has a way bigger one. I will show you the pic later;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nice as in. Interesting, thanks for showing us what its like out there in another part of the world. Not Nice, as in Wow, great enclosures i want to copy them and do exactly what they do..
At least, thats how I take it..

ian_zhang

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What they doing ??
126.jpg

127.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The first 3 zoo pictures are of the Giant asian pond turtle, Heosemys grandis.
The softshell is the Asiatic softshell, Amyda cartilaginea.
The last 2 pictures you just posted are of an Asian turtle (not sure which species, but possibly Mauremys mutica) trying to mate with a Red-eared slider.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.