Pic of road sign in GA

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
My "babies mama" ...lol, my ex sent me this. This pic is especially heartening after witnessing what can only be called a slaughter along Rt 95 last week in NC on the way down to Murrells inlet. It had apparently rained quite a bit....and it was the worse turtle-kill I ever saw......hundreds, mostly smooth water turtles, I assume Red ears or the like over as many miles.

I love this pic

Enjoy.....

jeff

Attachments

• TC.png
    TC.png
    635.7 KB · Views: 136

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
1624674776154.jpegMy husband rescued this one the other day while walking the dogs. It was upside down on its back in a parking lot and not moving. Once he carefully turned it over and moved it to safety, it scampered off. The Golden Retriever that owns that paw was quite interested in the process!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found these two in the same day in Georgia a couple of weeks ago. Rescued both of them.
IMG_3964.jpg
IMG_3969.jpg
IMG_3956.jpg

I moved the red-eyed male about 100 feet off the road into heavy brush in the direction he was already going. He was in a very rural area lots of woods and not too much traffic.

The female was in the middle of a very busy road, literally on the double line right in the middle with cars speeding by at 55 mph. I have no idea how she wasn't killed. I literally stopped traffic and grabbed her. People looked at me like I was nuts. Didn't care at all. The area where she was was surrounded by houses with dogs and mowers, roads and lots of cars. I don't know where she came from or how she got there, but it was not a safe area. I made the difficult decision to drive her to a heavily wooded area next to a large pond with a long stream about a mile away. I did not want to move her to a different territory, but leaving her anywhere near the area where she was found would have almost certainly led to her death. I hope I made the right call and I hope she lives a long life and makes lots of babies.

I've been working in GA for about three years now. I've never seen a single wild turtle of any kind there. Found both of these two on the same day about 15 miles apart on my drive to work.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
That's a shame about the traffic. Here, when there's a vehicle sideways across the lane, you know someone's moving a turtle. Not as common to cross paths with them as 30 years ago, but still done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a shame about the traffic. Here, when there's a vehicle sideways across the lane, you know someone's moving a turtle. Not as common to cross paths with them as 30 years ago, but still done.
I pulled the rental car off to the side of the road and used my body to block traffic. I like your way better. :)

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I have lived in my current house for 5 years and never found a box turtle anywhere on my street, but two weeks ago I found a deceased hatchling in the backyard. So they can be very secretive. I’m hopeful there are more babies out there and being very careful when I mow the grass now…

Cloud Atlas, North Carolina
I found these two in the same day in Georgia a couple of weeks ago. Rescued both of them.
View attachment 327969
View attachment 327970
View attachment 327971

I moved the red-eyed male about 100 feet off the road into heavy brush in the direction he was already going. He was in a very rural area lots of woods and not too much traffic.

The female was in the middle of a very busy road, literally on the double line right in the middle with cars speeding by at 55 mph. I have no idea how she wasn't killed. I literally stopped traffic and grabbed her. People looked at me like I was nuts. Didn't care at all. The area where she was was surrounded by houses with dogs and mowers, roads and lots of cars. I don't know where she came from or how she got there, but it was not a safe area. I made the difficult decision to drive her to a heavily wooded area next to a large pond with a long stream about a mile away. I did not want to move her to a different territory, but leaving her anywhere near the area where she was found would have almost certainly led to her death. I hope I made the right call and I hope she lives a long life and makes lots of babies.

I've been working in GA for about three years now. I've never seen a single wild turtle of any kind there. Found both of these two on the same day about 15 miles apart on my drive to work.
the second turtle has gorgeous skin, like he's made from mahogany and leather

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
the second turtle has gorgeous skin, like he's made from mahogany and leather
Yeah, she was very heavy. Both of them seemed very healthy and solid. Here is the plastron of the second one. She was keeping an eye on me:
IMG_3959.jpg

Here is where I let her go. She is visible in both pictures, but good luck spotting her:
IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

Cloud Atlas, North Carolina

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yeah, she was very heavy. Both of them seemed very healthy and solid. Here is the plastron of the second one. She was keeping an eye on me:
View attachment 327976

Here is where I let her go. She is visible in both pictures, but good luck spotting her:
View attachment 327977

View attachment 327978
For once I spotted one ?in a picture... and not from expertise but from what I've only read a very good call. Maybe that's where she was headed but someone built a road.