(Pic Heavy) Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium - Turtles and Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
**WARNING - PICTURE HEAVY THREAD**

I took a few days off of work to regain some sanity and today's outing was to the Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium. If you don't mind the weather and the fighter jets flying by all day, it's really a great place to get close to some animals that are very well cared for. This is by far my favorite zoo. I think it's better than San Diego in a lot of ways, mainly because they have a lot of turtle and tortoises stuff. :)

The highlight of this trip - one of the employees was in a tortoise enclosure, so of course I started to talk with them. I was very impressed with their knowledge, and we even knew some of the same people. Eventually she offered my family a back stage tour to see their Indian Star tortoises that were off exhibit. I was told no pictures :(. But it was pretty cool. They had a good group of Indian Stars, and I got to see how prolific their sulcatas are at the zoo. :) It's amazing how different their backstage pens are compared to their display exhibits. I was pleased.

Overall, even though some of the enclosures were typical zoo quality, the tortoises appeared extremely healthy. I observed just about all of them eating, and the pancake's they had were even mating.

Anywho, here are the turtle and tortoise pictures I was able to take. Please excuse the quality...it is very difficult and distracting with two small children and fighting the crowds (which really weren't that bad). I'll have another thread eventually with the other types of animals.

Radiateds chowin' down

01.jpg

Not much room for activities in there.

02.jpg

Mating Pancakes

03.jpg

Spotted turtle, right?

04.jpg

Russian pair

05.jpg

Great looking Indian Star, apparently this one was produced by the adults I saw off exhibit. They're doing a very good job raising him.

06.jpg

Gallops

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

17.jpg

Aldabras

16.jpg

15.jpg

Their sulcata exhibit was really great! They had some beefy specimens there too.

Big bruiser

11.jpg

12.jpg

This one was the biggest I saw. I would estimate he is around 150 lbs.

13.jpg

14.jpg

3-toed boxie.

10.jpg

Mammoth alligator snapper

18.jpg

Tried to get me in the pic for some scale, but this guy was easily 4 feet long.

19.jpg

Mata Mata

20.jpg

I think this is an albino sea turtle.

21.jpg

These guys were in the gift shop. Not sure what the one on the right was, but he was very pretty.

22.jpg

They had a few other specimens, but those were the most impressive.

Enjoy! Check out the thread with the other animals. It should be up this evening.

M

Maggie Cummings

The one on the right of the Sideneck looks like a Mississippi map to me. Thanks so much for the pictures. Didn't you go outside and look at the Gopherus? They had some nice ones when I was there...

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
RE: (Pic Heavy) Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium - Turtles and Tortoises

Very cool pics! Thanks for sharing :)

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Very nice Neal! I still have not gotten out there, but you have given me new motivation!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
maggie3fan said:
The one on the right of the Sideneck looks like a Mississippi map to me. Thanks so much for the pictures. Didn't you go outside and look at the Gopherus? They had some nice ones when I was there...

No, didn't see them at all. Maybe we were distracted with the kids when we walked by.

JeffG said:
Very nice Neal! I still have not gotten out there, but you have given me new motivation though!

You can usually find a buy one get one coupon easily. But either way, it's definitely worth the money.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island

Great post and some awesome pictures! Thanks :)

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Neal said:
JeffG said:
Very nice Neal! I still have not gotten out there, but you have given me new motivation though!

You can usually find a buy one get one coupon easily. But either way, it's definitely worth the money.

Thanks for the tip! If you don't mind me asking an off-topic question, do they have many other reptiles there? My main interest would be Australian lizards. :cool:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes, tons of reptiles. I'll have some pictures up later tonight.

Someone at that zoo is a crocodile and alligator nut. :p They're everywhere.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:

That is either a Loggerhead/Razorback Musk, not a Sideneck of any type.......

acrantophis

5 Year Member

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA

Wow! I enjoyed looking at these! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I missed this the first time around. Glad you referenced it in the continuation thread. Great pics.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
That zoo must have the most impressive collection of chelonians I've ever seen. I'd love to visit there sometime. Beautiful pix, too. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.