Photos of tortoises (and other reptiles) in the Galápagos Islands

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Norwich CT
I was asked by @Markw84 to start a thread and upload tortoise photos from my previous travels to the Galápagos Islands. I'll do it in multiple posts, as I'm not sure how many photos can be uploaded at one time. I'm attaching photos here of the tortoises on Isla Santa Cruz.

Enjoy!

IMG_1562.jpgIMG_1560.jpgIMG_1570.jpgIMG_2536.jpg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I was asked by @Markw84 to start a thread and upload tortoise photos from my previous travels to the Galápagos Islands. I'll do it in multiple posts, as I'm not sure how many photos can be uploaded at one time. I'm attaching photos here of the tortoises on Isla Santa Cruz.

Enjoy!
Wow!! Thanks for posting. Gentle giants!!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
So sad. He was a stunner. Do you know how old Lonesome George was?
He was believed to be around 101-202 years old when he died in 2012. I saw him in 2010, so approximately 100 years old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for the pics @Mrs.Jennifer ! More pics are welcome. In addition to the torts, I also love the land and marine iguanas. Got any pics of those? And more tortoise pics are welcome too! :)

I have good news! They've been doing DNA studies on the islands for quite a few years now, and they found others of Lonesome George's type. He wasn't/isn't the last, so said the TTPG presenter that told me this.

@Olddog @Markw84 and Will @Kapidolo Farms notice the relatively low carapace's in the first three pics in post #1. Look familiar? From Santa Cruz no less!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Thank you so much for the pics @Mrs.Jennifer ! More pics are welcome. In addition to the torts, I also love the land and marine iguanas. Got any pics of those? And more tortoise pics are welcome too! :)

I have good news! They've been doing DNA studies on the islands for quite a few years now, and they found others of Lonesome George's type. He wasn't/isn't the last, so said the TTPG presenter that told me this.

@Olddog @Markw84 and Will @Kapidolo Farms notice the relatively low carapace's in the first three pics in post #1. Look familiar? From Santa Cruz no less!
As you wish...

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    1,013 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

And here are the land iguanas and lava lizards...

Attachments

• IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 25

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM

Wow, how did they miss this before declaring them extinct? I wonder if the newly found tortoises also had the 'saddleback' characteristic of George and just assumed those were from a different subspecies? This info should be bigger news.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, how did they miss this before declaring them extinct? I wonder if the newly found tortoises also had the 'saddleback' characteristic of George and just assumed those were from a different subspecies? This info should be bigger news.
Frankly, the whole concept of "The last of his species..." sells. This brings in much needed attention and donations. Declaring: "Oh hey... we were wrong, there is a whole bunch more of them over here on this island..." Doesn't help their cause. Those who know just let it slide because we want them to receive that much needed attention and money for conservation efforts. One could argue that its not entirely honest, but its for a good reason and a good cause.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Frankly, the whole concept of "The last of his species..." sells. This brings in much needed attention and donations. Declaring: "Oh hey... we were wrong, there is a whole bunch more of them over here on this island..." Doesn't help their cause. Those who know just let it slide because we want them to receive that much needed attention and money for conservation efforts. One could argue that its not entirely honest, but its for a good reason and a good cause.
Now before you get all cynical, Mr. Tom, the information was out there all along. In fact, I am a member of the Galápagos Conservancy, but I was negligent in reading all the material. Shame on me for not being a better reader!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

I hope I'm uploading this properly...
Here's a short video. Watching it never gets old for me...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hope I'm uploading this properly...
Here's a short video. Watching it never gets old for me...

When I click on the link it says: "Null. If the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in."

Two babies

5 Year Member
When I click on the link it says: "Null. If the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in."
It says the video is private. That's ok if that is your intention. Loved the pics.