Photos of pairs or groups of confined tortoises

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It seems to me that most of the FACEBOOK folks and most of our new members think that keeping pairs together is ok.
Or that an aquarium is a suitable enclosure to house multiple tortoises because they saw pictures of that behavior online.
I've had to leave one FACEBOOK group to save what is left of my sanity over issues that are just REDICULOUS.
There is still a lot of horrible, incorrect, harmful and just lazy information out there.
Let's keep this in mind when dealing with new members.
They might be coming here and finding out an almost overwhelming new bunch of information. Contradicting everything that they ever knew about correct tortoise keeping.
I hate when people get discouraged.

boxraddict

Florida
I recently nearly purchased 2 small red foots that were housed together at one of my favorite reptile/fish stores. Until I found this forum and then I decided I’ll only take one of them home with me.
I was going to give him a 6x2 feet tortoise table until I learned those would only be ok outdoors if at all.
indoors which mine currently Is, they need a closed chamber. Which I did in a 20 long.
I just logged back in now about to ask what size fish aquarium (closes chamber of course) should mine be in ideally.

my rft is around 3 inches.For one that size is a 40 breeder or 75 gallon overkill? I got extra aquariums of all sizes .

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I recently nearly purchased 2 small red foots that were housed together at one of my favorite reptile/fish stores. Until I found this forum and then I decided I’ll only take one of them home with me.
I was going to give him a 6x2 feet tortoise table until I learned those would only be ok outdoors if at all.
indoors which mine currently Is, they need a closed chamber. Which I did in a 20 long.
I just logged back in now about to ask what size fish aquarium (closes chamber of course) should mine be in ideally.

my rft is around 3 inches.For one that size is a 40 breeder or 75 gallon overkill? I got extra aquariums of all sizes .

Id say bigger is always better! Your 3 inch RF should do well in a 75 gallon. You will have plenty of room to create a nice environment for it to thrive! not just exist.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Ideally, fish tanks aren't ideal....
In that they are usually too tall compared to the width and length. Fishes can use the horizontal room. Your tortoise can't.
Even a 100 gallon aquarium is pretty narrow. A 55 gallon is considered large. But it's only like 12" wide.
Having a CUSTOM glass enclosure would work great. One like 36" x 36" that is only 12 or 14" tall. That'd house a smaller tortoose. But custom tanks are very expensive.
Making a closed chamber that is large enough to be of actual use can be challenging.
That's why so many keepers have decided on plastic totes.
Just go as large as you can. And be looking at ways to go even larger.
Right now. Your tiny RF will be fine.