Photos (now beak trim)

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
How do I up load photos to a discussion box ??? I click on the photo icon above but get an option for URL.

I need and "Upload" option.

Need to show pics to get advice on beak and shell color.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
ON your computer:

While writing a post, on the bottom of the box on the right, next to the button to "post reply" is a choice to "upload a file". Click that and browse to select the photo. Once uploaded you will see a choice for "thumbnial" or "full image". Select "full image" and the photo will be placed in your post where your cursor is currently located.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If that doesn't help, go to the "photos and vidos" section from the home page and pinned near the top are two different threads explaining how to post pictures.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Yvonne G: I can upload on this thread. Not getting an upload option on our conversation. Here are photos of Digger's beak and color.

Digger Mar 2019 a.jpg Digger Mar 2019 b.jpg Digger Mar 2019 c.jpg Digger Mar 2019 d.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, the beak is overgrown, but there's nothing wrong with the color of the shell. That vet must have been comparing color between deserts or greeks. All russians are the color of you rs.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thank you so much. Praise God ! She talked about possible liver problems and wanted me to take him to OK State University Vet Clinic for a blood test. That sounds like stress to me. Do you see any deformity in the beak? I am afraid to trim the beak. Need to wait another week or two to find vet at our new address. (We move next week) Thank you - Thank you - Thank you Stupid vet! I remember that she had to ask me what type of tortoise he is and was serving as a vet specializing in amphibians at Pet Co

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The beak isn't deformed, just too long. You just need to nip off bits around the edge. Don't try to take a big bite with the toe nail clippers, just little nips starting at one corner and nipping around the front to the other corner.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Really!? Do I need to file? Won't this leave him with "teeth"? Will it wear down on it's own?
(That dumb vet: He only needed a beak trim - the one thing she did not address.)

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Really!? Do I need to file? Won't this leave him with "teeth"? Will it wear down on it's own?
(That dumb vet: He only needed a beak trim - the one thing she did not address.)

Even vets are trying to make money you know... Good thing you got a second opinion from people who actually knows tortoises. Sometimes vets knows more about cats and dogs than torts ; )

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
P.S. will it be easier to do after he has had a soak?
Reptilony: She was on staff as a vet specializing in exotics. Didn't even know what type tortoise he was; had to ask me. Liver damage, dehydration, over grown beak; needing blood test. I was terrified. Common sense told me he was alert, active, eating and his eyes are so nice an bright. That is why I started a convo with Yvonne.
This is the best place to find answers to amphibian health matters.
Isn't Digger adorable. How can anything without fur be so cute?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Have you ever tried to sand wet wood?

With a drimmel it would think it would not be a good idea. With a nail clipper I don’t think it would change much. I never had to do it someone with more experience will know

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never soaked them first, but having experience with my own toe nails and that they're a bit softer after my shower, I can't help but think it would be easier to do after a soak. Good thinking.