Pheonix's growth

saleena.lewis

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello everyone!! I have a yearling redfoot tortoise named phoenix. On this thread I will be keeping you guys updated on growth, milestones,some cute pictures and how I personally take care of him. I had a gram scale back when I got him and he weighed 82 grams. (I got him about 4 months ago) He now weighs 112 grams. My scale recently broke and I had to order a new scale but it finally came in! Currently he is in a 3 by 2 foot tortoise table that was converted to a closed chamber. It has a plexi glass cover over the top, keeping the humidity at about 80% during the day and then a small drop in humidity at night. I keep him in my reptile room (that is also getting redone) so I am excited for that! Once the room is redone we will be making him a 7 by 3 foot enclosure with tons of real plants and enrichment, and something that will be able to hold humidity.

Attachments

• 3A42EEF0-D50E-4BF0-BAD9-E7B811EE3290.jpeg
    3A42EEF0-D50E-4BF0-BAD9-E7B811EE3290.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Hey guys! Today pheonix tried his first ever super worm and he loved it! Although it may seem gross, I made sure to cut the head off of it because I have heard a horror story where one super worm ate through a tortoises stomach. So i'd rather be safe than sorry even though it's a rare occurrence. He seems to be gaining weight daily and he is growing like a weed. I'm so glad that you guys can follow along with me on my journey of raising my tortoise! I hope to keep updating this like a diary as much as possible. ❤️? I hope all is well with everyone. Stay home, and stay safe!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey guys! Today pheonix tried his first ever super worm and he loved it! Although it may seem gross, I made sure to cut the head off of it because I have heard a horror story where one super worm ate through a tortoises stomach. So i'd rather be safe than sorry even though it's a rare occurrence. He seems to be gaining weight daily and he is growing like a weed. I'm so glad that you guys can follow along with me on my journey of raising my tortoise! I hope to keep updating this like a diary as much as possible. ❤? I hope all is well with everyone. Stay home, and stay safe!
Hi Saleena,
Nice job raising your tortoise. Converting the enclosure to a closed chamber and planning for a larger one in the future is great.
Where do you live in MA? I am originally from Winchester myself. What other reptiles do you have in your reptile room? Just curious.

Good luck with all your plans and your tortoise!

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Hi Saleena,
Nice job raising your tortoise. Converting the enclosure to a closed chamber and planning for a larger one in the future is great.
Where do you live in MA? I am originally from Winchester myself. What other reptiles do you have in your reptile room? Just curious.

Good luck with all your plans and your tortoise!
I currently live in Dracut MA. I have a few reptiles in the room right now haha. I have a bearded dragon, a crested gecko, a corn snake, and obviously a tortoise lol ? I am currently in the process of finding a good breeder of blue eyed lucy's (a morph of a ball python) I also love rodents so I have 2 hamsters and I am looking into rabbits in the near future. So lots of new things going on!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I currently live in Dracut MA. I have a few reptiles in the room right now haha. I have a bearded dragon, a crested gecko, a corn snake, and obviously a tortoise lol ? I am currently in the process of finding a good breeder of blue eyed lucy's (a morph of a ball python) I also love rodents so I have 2 hamsters and I am looking into rabbits in the near future. So lots of new things going on!
Are you familiar with New England Reptile Distributors (NERD) in Plaistow, NH? Kevin McCurley (the owner) is a good friend of mine and he and I were partners in a number of Ball Python projects. He could probably help you out with finding a good blue eye if he doesn't breed them himself.

I just checked his web site and found this: https://newenglandreptilestore.com/collections/ball-pythons-for-sale/blue-eye-leucistic

If you go there or call, tell Kevin that Bill Zovickian sent you and said to be sure treat you right (lol). He'll get a kick out of that.

One of my first snakes was a Corn Snake. I had it from 1958 until 1969 when I had to part with it at dental school. They really frowned upon me keeping it in my dorm room. Told me I would be kicked out if the snake wasn't gone in 48 hours, so I gave it to a friend from Maryland.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Are you familiar with New England Reptile Distributors (NERD) in Plaistow, NH? Kevin McCurley (the owner) is a good friend of mine and he and I were partners in a number of Ball Python projects. He could probably help you out with finding a good blue eye if he doesn't breed them himself.

I just checked his web site and found this: https://newenglandreptilestore.com/collections/ball-pythons-for-sale/blue-eye-leucistic

If you go there or call, tell Kevin that Bill Zovickian sent you and said to be sure treat you right (lol). He'll get a kick out of that.

One of my first snakes was a Corn Snake. I had it from 1958 until 1969 when I had to part with it at dental school. They really frowned upon me keeping it in my dorm room. Told me I would be kicked out if the snake wasn't gone in 48 hours, so I gave it to a friend from Maryland.
I actually got my anery corn snake ophelia from there back in june! It's about an hour away from my house. I loved it there and I plan on going back soon. I will be sure to tell him that I came from you!! Hopefully i'll be able to find a blue eyed lucy. ❤️

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Hey everyone! I'm back today with some good news, pheonix gained a lot of weight! Just on monday he was 112 grams and he is now 121 grams! He's getting to be a big guy now hahahahaha ?

Attachments

• 26168FB5-44C8-4A29-8342-154C4B1CA530.jpeg
    26168FB5-44C8-4A29-8342-154C4B1CA530.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
I haven't been keeping you guys updated as much as I would like to but I thought I would today! Pheonix is doing great. I soaked him again today and he got a leaf of collard greens, some clovers from outside, a little piece of mulberry leaves (from my backyard), and 2 mazuri tortoise diet pellets. I also weighed him but he only gained 3 grams but that is better than loosing weight!

Attachments

• 6B96F529-DA19-4B0C-9631-4DCE4E43B2A5.jpeg
    6B96F529-DA19-4B0C-9631-4DCE4E43B2A5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I haven't been keeping you guys updated as much as I would like to but I thought I would today! Pheonix is doing great. I soaked him again today and he got a leaf of collard greens, some clovers from outside, a little piece of mulberry leaves (from my backyard), and 2 mazuri tortoise diet pellets. I also weighed him but he only gained 3 grams but that is better than loosing weight!
Looking good!