Petting your tortoise.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Does anyone pet their tortoise (specifically Eastern Hermann's) ? If so, do you pet their shell, the top or bottom of their heads or necks and how do they react to it. Any tips for getting my tortoise to want to sleep in my lap?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
We pet all our tortoise. Hermanns, Sulcata, Leopard, Elongate, Radiated. From time to time we do that. Just from time to time.

NOT all the time.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I only "pet" my tortoises after their soaks. And I wouldn't really advise trying to purposely make your tortoise fall asleep in your lap. They aren't the cuddling type.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I pet my leopard and Russian on their heads, neck, shell. I kiss their faces too. I can even kiss my leopards neck. He is so snuggly. When my,Leo was smaller, I would sit back on the couch and let him walk on me. I let him do what he wanted, whether sleep or walk around. On me that is.

Btw, I feel the more you pet, kiss on, or handle, the more they will get used too you. Now, I started mine out as a hatchling (my leopard) doing this. I can touch or hold any part of him and he doesn't care. The Russian was a out 5 or so when I got him. He isn't as comfortable with it, yet:D

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
wellington said:
I pet my leopard and Russian on their heads, neck, shell. I kiss their faces too. I can even kiss my leopards neck. He is so snuggly. When my,Leo was smaller, I would sit back on the couch and let him walk on me. I let him do what he wanted, whether sleep or walk around. On me that is.

I snuggle my Leo's. I pet their shells and rub their tiny heads. I can't wait for them to get a little bigger so I can scratch their necks. Their sooooo little right now though lol.

tortoisaur

Uk
I have an eastern hermanns (so I've just discovered!) He loves having his head\ chin scratched and very happy for me to inspect legs etc he's really tame although doesn't enjoy being picked up for too long and suspended which naturally must be quite daunting for them so I avoid too much of that, plenty of correct handling will make jobs such as beak trimming, nails etc a little easier though :)

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only one trying to pet their tortoise. He appears to like or at least tolerate my love unless he doesn't know I'm there and I start rubbing his shell but when I stop he seems to chase my hand to the end of his enclosure. That's a good sign right? :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Might be a good sign, might be he's trying to attack you. Seeing we really don't know what goes through their minds, I usually think it to be any way that works for me:D. So, in this case, I would say, yes, it's a good thing. He's chasing your hand for more petting:D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Petting my torts ? I not only pet but I even talk to them and sometimes I feel we talk better then my other half and I do!!! :)

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Darwin, my Greek, seems to really like getting the sides of his neck rubbed. I also give him Eskimo kisses on his little nose. He doesn't seem to mind that too much either. :)

TanyaTortoiseGal

Arizona
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to add to it, and hope others may still be reading it.
I have my first tortoise, I actually found him in the middle of the road as a hatchling this week he’s a Sulcata tortoise and both yesterday and today has decided that he wants me to hold him and he wants to sleep in my hands and crawl up my chest on my shoulder etc. When I feed him I chop up all his food and give it to him, he’d rather take it out of my hand and then when he’s done he wants to climb in my hand and stay with me. From what I’m reading in this post that’s not irregular? And I just wonder does that mean he’s just comfortable with me and happy… if anybody really knows LOL?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to add to it, and hope others may still be reading it.
I have my first tortoise, I actually found him in the middle of the road as a hatchling this week he’s a Sulcata tortoise and both yesterday and today has decided that he wants me to hold him and he wants to sleep in my hands and crawl up my chest on my shoulder etc. When I feed him I chop up all his food and give it to him, he’d rather take it out of my hand and then when he’s done he wants to climb in my hand and stay with me. From what I’m reading in this post that’s not irregular? And I just wonder does that mean he’s just comfortable with me and happy… if anaybody really knows LOL?
I think that's great that he chooses to be with you - make the most of it while you can - a sulcate tortoise will grow bigger very quickly,and also be a lot stronger - you may not be able to do these things for very long. Our 21year old Hermanns tortoise loves to be stroked and cuddled, and often sleeps on my lap . I hand feed him treats, but not his main food, as he tends to bite my fingers by mistake !
Angie