Petsmart wild caught tortise still not doing well. Help please.

Jon c

Location (City and/or State)
Williamsville
I don't know if anyone saw my post from a few days ago, thanks fir the help Yvonne! But I purchased a Russian from petsmart not knowing he is a wild caught mature adult. Took him to the vet the next day for poo sample and of course poor guy was loaded with pin worm. Started treatment following day witch he is 9 days into(retest in a couple more days). He just recently was given a b3 shot to boost appetite as he has still not ate since I brought him home on 3/7. I also started an antibiotic that I have to give him 6 more injections of every 3 days because the vet thinks that in addition to the worms he probably has some sort of parasite thats stopping him from eating.

I have been giving him soaks with 50/50 Gerber carrot and warm water and trying to keep his enclosure at 80 all times as per request of the one helpful person who responded to my last thread. He loves his soaks and is ok with the 50/50 soaks so great but other than that he is so sleepy besides one energy burst per day witch lasts about 3 mins then he's done again. He is past the shy stage and likes us he's just so sleepy still.

I can still return him but the reason I didn't do that in the first place is because I know his best shot of surviving is with me and I'm obv emotionally attached already. Can anyone please help or provide me with some info or opinions? Give it to me straight, what are my odds here?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
How long did the tort not eat for before you took it to the Vet? Tortoises don't like change and they can go a while without eating. Antibiotics and vitamin shots can often make them have no appetite. If there was no clear reason to give an antibiotic shot personally, I wouldn't do it.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Photos of your setup would yield the best, targeted responses about what to try.

What is his basking (hot spot) temperature?

What food(s) have you tried?

What time of day does he get the Zooms?

It is not unusual for a new tort in this situation to fast. Too much handling can be more harmful than helpful.

Jon c

Williamsville
How long did the tort not eat for before you took it to the Vet? Tortoises don't like change and they can go a while without eating. Antibiotics and vitamin shots can often make them have no appetite. If there was no clear reason to give an antibiotic shot personally, I wouldn't do it.
I personally questioned the guy who was taking care of him at petsmart and he was of no help. Gave very vague answers so for all I know he didn't eat the whole two weeks he was at petsmart but again him telling me the tort was there "around 2 weeks" could have even been bs.
I was worried about this with all the meds, I know vets are quick to give one thing after the next not caring of the side effects. I may take you're advise thank you.

Jon c

Williamsville
Photos of your setup would yield the best, targeted responses about what to try.

What is his basking (hot spot) temperature?

What food(s) have you tried?

What time of day does he get the Zooms?

It is not unusual for a new tort in this situation to fast. Too much handling can be more harmful than helpful.
I have tried every food possible including zoo med pellets. The time of day he gets the zooms is random but definitely after soaks . we have been very carefull not to overhandle more than waking him up to eat or soak but he really does perk up when you pick him up or look at him.

I brought him home to nice little 4x8 "starter table" with a 96-99 basking area but he barely moved in it until I found out about the worms and switched him to a 2x4 rabbit enclosure with paper towels down to properly dispose infected poo. I was also told to provide 80 degree all times until he's feeling better so I used a weaker bulb and spaced appropriately to achieve that.0318202129_HDR.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I think you were probably counseled to not let any part of his enclosure fall below 80F while his immune system is coping with the deworming and captivity adjustment.

This species needs a hot spot that is 90-95F. The digestive organs, immune system, and brain will not function properly without this external heating. He is active after soaking because you have heated him a bit...this warming effect wears off soon after he is returned to 80F.

Russians would graze a number of flowers in the wild, and these are the most attractive food items to them when they are WC and disoriented.

If there is a health food store open near you, you might find some of these options as whole-flower tea, or consider ordering from this source:

Dried flowers can be steeped and cooled to room temp...the heating will get them to smell yummy again (tortoises use their sense of smell to find food), and the flavored water can be used with your daily soaking routines.

He will not eat properly until his temps are tweaked.

Jon c

Williamsville
I think you were probably counseled to not let any part of his enclosure fall below 80F while his immune system is coping with the deworming and captivity adjustment.

This species needs a hot spot that is 90-95F. The digestive organs, immune system, and brain will not function properly without this external heating. He is active after soaking because you have heated him a bit...this warming effect wears off soon after he is returned to 80F.

Russians would graze a number of flowers in the wild, and these are the most attractive food items to them when they are WC and disoriented.

If there is a health food store open near you, you might find some of these options as whole-flower tea, or consider ordering from this source:

Dried flowers can be steeped and cooled to room temp...the heating will get them to smell yummy again (tortoises use their sense of smell to find food), and the flavored water can be used with your daily soaking routines.

He will not eat properly until his temps are tweaked.
Ok that makes sense, I must have misunderstood. I will go back to normal temps immediately, it's only been 2 days of that. Thank you so much I'll try the foods!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Ok that makes sense, I must have misunderstood. I will go back to normal temps immediately, it's only been 2 days of that. Thank you so much I'll try the foods!

Hang in there. Keep us updated.

They just go through so much when they are trundled around the planet...and Spring is a damned hard season for biologics. The planet tips over, seasons change, wet weather keeps things dark, etc. (dogs that have seizure disorders have more seizures, migraine sufferers suffer more - its just weird).

Keep up the soaks, even twice daily. He needs water and warmth for his liver and kidneys to be able to clear the drugs through his system, and the hydration will only help him cope with stress.

turtlebean

Connecticut
I’m sorry to hear about your new tortoise! Not all, but a lot of pet stores have been known to offer just the l worst advice when it comes to tortoises. If you have any other questions about general care, or if petsmart shared with you any other care advice I would double check it on these forums.

I agree with some suggestions above, the basking temperature should be between 95-100. Besides the issues the vet outlined, the temperature might be one of the big reasons your tortoise is not eating! I would maybe try moving those lights a little closer to your basking area, maybe try hanging them closer or further until you achieve the desired temperature.

Any update would be great I would love to hear how your little guy is doing! I wish you guys the best!

-Julia R

Jon c

Williamsville
Sorry for the delay on the update. So our little guy is definitely starting to come around!! I did end up stopping the antibiotics after the 2nd dose and a few days later he slowly started becoming a little more alert. I figured the de wormer, hydration boost and vitamin shots the vet gave him within one week in combo with the antibiotic was just too much and I'm so glad I stoped it. Thank goodness for the sun finally coming out, I live in buffalo, I was able to get him outside two days in a row and he immediately started walking and grazing on every clover or weed patch in sight, some grass to, proving( to me anyways) that he IS just slowly adjusting to living in captivity. I have still not been able to get him to eat indoors or anything outside besides what's growing naturally on the lawn. Anything I give him outdoors he just checks it out and then tramples over it to move on to the natural stuff.

Butterfly

NC
Well any progress is good progress! I'll be praying for your little tort!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your cage us much too small for a Russian tortoise, however, because he's "sick" it's ok to use for now as a hospital area. Wrap newspaper or something around three sides and the top, leaving the front open. Raise the overall temperature up to 80-85F degrees all over the whole enclosure. He may be cold enough to be thinking it's time to not eat due to brumation. If you have any really warm, sunny days, take him out into the sun so he can see it's not winter. And be thinking about making him a safe outdoor yard to live in. Hopefully once you get his day and night temperature up in the 80s he'll start to perk up.

Jon c

Williamsville
The cage is strictly a temp. hospital area. I do have a nice 4x8 table for him to return to. First I'm going to take His next poo to the vet and make sure there's no more worms and was hoping to get him to take a nibble indoors before I put him back on His table. He had only been on the table for the first 2 days I had him then I realized of His sickness and lack of energy so picked that cage up to monitor him better. I'm assuming he's going to be shy for a couple days after I switch him back so I just want to make sure he's ready for it. His temps are up in the 80's all around and basking spot at 100. Real nice big outdoor enclosure coming soon, luckily for this little guy I'm in the building trade and a 35 yr old kid? Btw his name is Dino? like Dinosaur

Thank you all so much for the help and support guys!! It is very appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good luck, it's all good from here on!