Petsmart sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I hate pet stores. Look at this Redfoot they are selling. It is probably 5-6" and has no room. With the hide and water bowl he has to be sitting on top of the hide or bowl at all times. NOt even sure he can get into the hide as it is too big for the tank. They are advertising these as captive breed but who cares if you treat them like this? Sorry for the quality of the pic. Had to use my phone and didnt want the employees seeing me take a pic.

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 118

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We've had members from all over the country recently talking about the new redfoots in their Petsmart store. I really doubt there could be that many captive bred redfoots in the U.S. to supply that many Petsmart stores. I'll bet they are bred for the pet trade in the country of origin and imported here.

It would be great if pet stores could set their tortoises up in the right kind of habitats, but, afterall, the animals are there to be sold, and there is a space restriction. Hopefully they get sold before the small space causes to much of a problem for the animal.

My grandson works in our Petsmart, and he tells me that they have rules regarding the care and treatment of the animals. So whether he knows the correct way to care for the animals or not, the employees have to follow corporate guidelines. The best thing he can do for them is to keep them clean and well-fed and watered.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sorry to see this but sadly it is the norm. Yes, they have their corporate policies to follow which are all about money making. Rescuing the torts won't help because they just replace them (and I don't think buying from Petco or Petsmart "counts" as a rescue). I too have seem a lot of redfoots offered at Petco and Petsmart lately that are very young and some were marked as captive bred. I'm curious about it. I hate that their excuse for not taking the best care of the animals is that they aren't there very long.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Hmm, I will have to check out my PetSmart when I next go there for cat food.

I haven't seen any hatchlings in any of the PetCo or PetSmart around here. Usually just close to adult russians and redfoots.

They do of course have the 20-30 geckos in a 10-20g tank like every pet shop seems to have.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I saw a RF Cherry head (supposedly) about a year and a half ago in my petco. I was shocked to see it, they claimed it was CB but for some reason it did not ring true. They wanted 100$ for it. This kinda reminds me of when they used to import pregnant ball pythons hatch them out and then claim they were CB.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Poor thing! What really gets me angry is if this was a cat or Dog the RSPCA would get involved, I really think there needs to be a change in the law not Just in the Usa but here in the UK and all over the world animals or Reptiles should not be treated like this even if they are not there long, its so stressfull for them and it puts people off buying them as they would be worried they are getting a sick pet and unless they have experiance of caring for sick pets they would not want to take them on so these poor things are stuck in these cramped conditions, while the stores rack in the profits from there sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.