Peter's thread

Flipper

Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
Your Peter thread had made my morning :) he's such a character! :<3:

His enclosure is fabulous! :cool:

Thanks for all your excelling posting peasinapod :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Peter's food stuff is growing like crazy! (Look at the pretty flower!)

Aaaaand, for the first time ever..... I saw him drink! :D

I had been noticing that he often left his urates inside his water dish, but now I finally saw him drink. Last year he ignored his water dish completely.

If the kids I am babysitting stay asleep until their parents come back, it will have been an awesome day.

Attachments

• 1401823073274.jpg
    1401823073274.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 31

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Today I had been wondering why the cold frame wouldn't open as it heated up, so I checked on the automatic opener...

Do you see how that broke right in the middle? I mean HOW? It isn't even a year old.

Lesson of today: Check everything often, even if you trust in it. :(

Attachments

• 1401981260111.jpg
    1401981260111.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 32

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Hello everyone! It's been a looong time since I updated this! The summer went by so quickly!

Brumation time is nearing and of course Peter needed to spice things up a bit...
I don't know whether you saw my thread in the health section, but Peter got an eye infection. Now I need to give him drops in his eyes 4-6 times a day. While having university every day...

As I don't think Peter would enjoy the organic chemistry lectures very much (but he'd adore the animal rights lectures) I can't possibly bring him with me. Which means I'll have to miss a few lectures. I can manage though.

He better apreciate it! ;)

If you want more infos on how I found out about the infection and the follow up, you can check my other thread.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/wet-teary-eyes.103577/

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks so much for the update on Peter! I saw your other thread. Good news about the fact that he is otherwise healthy, and has put on weight.
Glad you discovered this and are treating it before brumation.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Thanks so much for the update on Peter! I saw your other thread. Good news about the fact that he is otherwise healthy, and has put on weight.
Glad you discovered this and are treating it before brumation.
I know! I almost thought it was just me overreacting and I am really sad that it wasn't the case. I hope it clears up with the meds they gave me. Peter's cooperating really well so far. He doesn't as much as blink when I give him the drops. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I know! I almost thought it was just me overreacting and I am really sad that it wasn't the case. I hope it clears up with the meds they gave me. Peter's cooperating really well so far. He doesn't as much as blink when I give him the drops. :)
Perhaps the drops are somewhat soothing.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Even though it's "only" an eye infection, I wonder if brumating him this year is a good idea? Any time my family or pets have had any sort of infection, we've kept a closer watch on them for a couple weeks to make sure it doesn't come back. Plus his immune system has taken a hit and had to rev up to fight the infection. I've never brumated a tort, so I really have no business speaking up about it, but just thought I'd toss some questions out, based on what I've read on the forum.
I hope your little guy recovers quickly!
:) :) :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I kind of wondered that myself. Hopefully if Peter's eyes clear up quickly, and it is still some time before brumation, it will be OK. I think Peter spends the winter carefully monitored in a fridge setting.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Even though it's "only" an eye infection, I wonder if brumating him this year is a good idea? Any time my family or pets have had any sort of infection, we've kept a closer watch on them for a couple weeks to make sure it doesn't come back. Plus his immune system has taken a hit and had to rev up to fight the infection. I've never brumated a tort, so I really have no business speaking up about it, but just thought I'd toss some questions out, based on what I've read on the forum.
I hope your little guy recovers quickly!
:) :) :)

If it clears up completely before the brumation it should be ok. Maybe I'll just need to delay it. Having to overwinter him would be worst case. He goes insane inside.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice thread about the life n times of Peter. We could have used more pix n updates during the Summer! :) hope he enjoys his long Winter nap.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Nice thread about the life n times of Peter. We could have used more pix n updates during the Summer! :) hope he enjoys his long Winter nap.
I know! I am so sorry. I took loads of pics but never got around to posting them. D:

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I don't know if you noticed, but I tend to overthink things... a lot!

I know I gad got the ok by Peter's vet to hibernate him as normal, but I just had a niggling feeling in my gut that maybe the vet hadn't checked him over so well, or that he might have missed something. I just wanted to get a second opinion by another vet.

Yesterday I (finally) got an appointment at the Clinic for Zoo Animals, Exotic Pets and Wildlife in Zürich. Peter got checked over by 2 last year vet-students, a vet and they showed him to an ophtalmologist as well.

Verdict: As healthy and feisty as ever!!

They are even goingt to show a swab of Peter's eyes to the senior physician/ senior consultant (?) To be sure. If he suspects any bacteria in his eyes, which they don't, they will send this swab to the lab and call me with the results.

I was there for well over 30 minutes and I expected to have to pay quite a lot for the consultation (animal clinics are expensive!).

Total cost....drumrolls...... 17 CHF (~17$)!!!!!! I knew that I would get 50% off because I am a student at the university there, but still.

Now Peter's happy, I am happy and everyone's happy. :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Winter has finally arrived. (Though the first snow is allready a few weeks back)

This weekend we removed the wooden planks around the enclosure as well as the coldframe and stored them somewhere dry. Peter is in a box in the garage until the temperatures drop further down. I miss him allready!! :(