PETA & The HSUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast
Yvonne,
Thats the point I was trying to make by asking Candy a few questions in my prior post.
Many people feel very strongly about animal rights and what they preceive as wrong yet often use items made from these very industries without giving it any real thought.
She obviously feels VERY passionate about her stance so I was hoping she would share with us where her line is drawn.

emysemys said:
I swore I wasn't going to get involved with this thread, but ok...now you've suckered me in:

My grandfather raised fox to sell the fur. Those critters were very well cared for. And while they were not roaming free all over their territory, they also did not have to worry about where their next meal was coming from. They had comfortable, large quarters, and no fear of predation. They were totally at ease in their cages, not pacing or trying to escape. And they were killed, eventually, humanely.

I wear leather shoes, I have a really nice suede coat. I eat beef and chicken. And I love animals.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
How did this conversation become about terrorists? Seems off topic to me.... Supposed to be about PETA.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Most eco-terrorists are just the more radical PETA members... Same agenda - just taking more steps to push it... And PETA has links to supporting them...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
chadk said:
Most eco-terrorists are just the more radical PETA members... Same agenda - just taking more steps to push it... And PETA has links to supporting them...

You are seriously still on that?

This conversation is preachers preaching to their own crowds. I must say I agree with one more, but that doesn't change my opinion that I think this may have been the least productive thread I've seen on here.

How am I still posting on here?! Arrgghhh I need to try the not reading it anymore approach...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Hey, you asked.... Don't ask and then complain when you get an answer you don't like... ;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I was waiting for someone to bring up women and african amercians, that is the worst way to try and bolster an argument iMHO

Serioulsy Dmmj, you were waiting for someone to bring this up, really?
Now why would this be a terrible way make a point with laws. I didn't compare anyone to animals that's just you taking it that way. I was talking about straight laws to be broken. That was my point.

This is how I feel about animals and like everyone here it's probably two ways. I fight against the mink industry because it is not necessary to wear mink it's mainly worn to show wealth or prestige. I mean we're not back with the indians here where they needed to do this for survival (for the buffalo and all). I understand that way of living. I am not a vegeterian or vegan and I do eat meat and chicken and fish (mostly organic and wild caught only). My dogs eat raw food as most of you know so I guess this won't be an issue since animals survive on other animals as we all know even in the wild. I stand up (and not all the way) for PETA because they at least do something about people who abuse rights of animals. I really think that the point of this is getting lost a long the way, but unlike others I do appreciate all your points of views because to me that's how people learn and discover other ways of doing things. I have always protected animals since I was a little kid. I've never been able to stand listening to people who abuse them. I actually will catch spiders and other flying objects if they get into my house and release them outside. I teach my children that these are all gods creatures and that doesn't give us the right to hurt them. Like I said I have two ways of thinking about it. I don't think that all hunting is bad and I think if you're doing it to feed your family then that's what you do and that's O.K. Anyway I'm sure I'm going to get slack for something that I write so go ahead. :D And Yvonne that was a totally different era so I won't say anything about that, but if he was doing it today I don't think I'd think that way. :)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You do relize that you bring up the necessity of farming minks.

You also have to realize the evolution of the fur industry. It started with the Indians... it was a necessity (probably not... they were more efficient than that) then it moved to trapping... and then farming.

In some places they were considered pests... speaking of which... how do you dispatch an unwelcome guest in your house (rats, mice, spiders...)?

Candy said:
I was waiting for someone to bring up women and african amercians, that is the worst way to try and bolster an argument iMHO

Serioulsy Dmmj, you were waiting for someone to bring this up, really?
Now why would this be a terrible way make a point with laws. I didn't compare anyone to animals that's just you taking it that way. I was talking about straight laws to be broken. That was my point.

This is how I feel about animals and like everyone here it's probably two ways. I fight against the mink industry because it is not necessary to wear mink it's mainly worn to show wealth or prestige. I mean we're not back with the indians here where they needed to do this for survival (for the buffalo and all). I understand that way of living. I am not a vegeterian or vegan and I do eat meat and chicken and fish (mostly organic and wild caught only). My dogs eat raw food as most of you know so I guess this won't be an issue since animals survive on other animals as we all know even in the wild. I stand up (and not all the way) for PETA because they at least do something about people who abuse rights of animals. I really think that the point of this is getting lost a long the way, but unlike others I do appreciate all your points of views because to me that's how people learn and discover other ways of doing things. I have always protected animals since I was a little kid. I've never been able to stand listening to people who abuse them. I actually will catch spiders and other flying objects if they get into my house and release them outside. I teach my children that these are all gods creatures and that doesn't give us the right to hurt them. Like I said I have two ways of thinking about it. I don't think that all hunting is bad and I think if you're doing it to feed your family then that's what you do and that's O.K. Anyway I'm sure I'm going to get slack for something that I write so go ahead. :D And Yvonne that was a totally different era so I won't say anything about that, but if he was doing it today I don't think I'd think that way. :)

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Candy,
You won't catch any flack from me. I appreciate your honest answer.
I wasn't trying to call you out or embarrass you in any way just was just curious where you stood.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes I was waiting for someone to bring up women and african americans because in this type of discussion someone always does. I don't know why anyone would bring them up in an animal right's discussion honestly, but they always do. This is not my first PETA and animal rights discussion and it prob won't be my last. But everytime someone does discuss PETA someone will alwyas bring up womens suffrage and african american rights and try to equate them to animal right's struggles. as a society we can not decide which laws we want to break, because if we do then we will then have other people decide which laws are ok to break, that fits their view of society. And to say that well women and african americans broke laws for their rights then it is some how ok for PETA and their supporters to break laws is wrong IMHO. That is the way I read someone's declaration that you must somehow equate women and AA to animal rights.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
PETA and the HSUS are not your friends. In my opinion, they are frauds, liars and animal abusers. Please learn the difference between animals rights and animal welfare. Money donated to them does not help animals. It buys fancy cars and houses for the higher ups and helps take away your rights. They don't want to protect your animals, they want to ban you from owning them. You, and many others with good intentions, have been misled. I could tell you stories that would make your blood boil, but a public forum is not the place for that.[/b]

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Wow... this sure is a long and heated thread!

I'm not a fan of PETA's shock tactics. I don't like the way they objectify women (like the first photo on this post, semi NSFW) in their demonstrations.

I agree with Terryo that they DO accomplish many things in the way of preventing animal cruelty, but I disagree with how far they go to try and establish some sort of "animal rights." If they only lobbied for humane treatment of animals in farms, zoos, testing, etc, then I'd be completely behind them. When they try and say that eating meat is immoral, that having pets is immoral, that Obama swatting a fly on his arm during an interview was "an execution"... all that just makes them come off as a bunch of radicals and hard for most people to truly support.

I also thought it was funny that USDA classifies PETA as a terrorist organization (google "USDA PETA Terrorist", tons of articles about it)

K412

5 Year Member
VA
On dictionary.com the definition of terrorist in part (2) a person who terrorizes or frightens others.

In my professional and personal experience with PETA they frighten and terrorize children. Showing them horrific images of cruelty to animals, giving out toys and literature with graphic images etc..
As a parent this offends me to my core. It brings out the mama bear in me.
Just my opinion on the terrorist statement.
I mean no offense to anyone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
not to make light of anything but i have been known to also frighten others.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
K412 said:
On dictionary.com the definition of terrorist in part (2) a person who terrorizes or frightens others.

In my professional and personal experience with PETA they frighten and terrorize children. Showing them horrific images of cruelty to animals, giving out toys and literature with graphic images etc..

Sounds like those churches that hand out fliers telling people they are going to hell... How do you feel about groups, like those that are concerned with the genocide in Dafur and hand out pretty graphic flyers? Maybe some groups feel a sense of urgency... Is it justified? Is that emotion actually terror? Or is it horror? Just wondering, and I know this is a little off topic.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, I admit I have not been following this thread a lot since my first post. But I did finally get a response to the email I sent to HSUS on December 20:

"Read on another forum that your organization spends the vast majority of donation money for administrative expenses and not for programs that shelter/rehab animals.
Cannot find HSUS on a non-profit organization list.
What percentage of your budget goes to administrative costs?"

"Ms. Logan:
Thank you for contacting The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Please forgive my delayed response to your e-mail. Per your request, I have listed below The HSUS' total expenses for the year 2008. All mailings and gifts are funded within the Fundraising portion:

Current & Future Programs 74%
Fundraising 22%
Management & General 4%

The mission of The HSUS is to protect all animals. Due to the broad scope of our mission, we depend on members for consistent support to keep our many programs running. We work diligently to use our members' donations wisely and are proud to say that The HSUS meets all applicable "Standards for Charity Accountability" according to the BBB Wise Giving Alliance, and we are also rated as four stars—the highest rating possible—on Charity Navigator.

Only 7% of the charities rated by Charity Navigator have received at least four consecutive 4-star evaluations, indicating that The HSUS consistently executes its mission in a fiscally responsible way, and outperforms most other charities in America.

If you would like additional financial information about our organization, please view our annual reports and IRS Form 990.

The HSUS is a non-profit organization with 501(c)(3) status. Our tax identification number is 53-0225390.

Since 1954, The HSUS has developed a constituency of 11 million, which gives us a loud voice when lobbying for the animals. Thank you for your support of this worthwhile cause. Please take a moment to let us know how we are doing by taking our Membership Survey.
Sincerely,

Cheryl Rhodes
Representative, Membership & Customer Loyalty
[email protected]
t 301.258.8276 f 301.721.6462

The Humane Society of the United States
2100 L Street NW Washington, DC 20037"

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Any graphic photo is a form of terrorism... aborted babies... animals caught in traps...

The object is to shock. What the extremists don't realize is that they hurt their cause by repulsing the majority who are rational people.

DoctorCosmonaut said:
K412 said:

Sounds like those churches that hand out fliers telling people they are going to hell... How do you feel about groups, like those that are concerned with the genocide in Dafur and hand out pretty graphic flyers? Maybe some groups feel a sense of urgency... Is it justified? Is that emotion actually terror? Or is it horror? Just wondering, and I know this is a little off topic.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Stop what?

Don't you think that cruelty to humans should take priority?

Look at how some of the people are treated on these lists.

I was told to do everyone a favor and throw myself under a moving bus.

Don't you think we need to treat each other better before focusing on animals?

Candy said:
No Ed the object is to stop it!

Status
Not open for further replies.