Pet Turtles Blamed for Salmonella Outbreak. Crackdown on Kid's Favorite Tiny Pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Madkins007 said:
2. "The parent's responsibility..." Exactly WHOSE responsibility is it to teach the parents about this? And if you say it is the government or the press's job, I'll scream because that is what the article is TRYING to do!

It's the parents responsibility to teach themselves about this. I think most would agree that a certain amount of due diligence is necessary before taking on the responsibility of a living creature, especially if their children are going to be involved in the care and raising of the animal. In most publications and web sites about turtles and tortoises there is some word of caution regarding the possibility of salmonella poisoning in turtles and tortoises. It wouldn't take that much research for a parent to understand that there is a threat, which can simply be avoided by careful handling and hand washing.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Okay, so turtles and tortoises might be "breeders of bacteria", but these parents are breeders of idiocy.

pammy'szoo

5 Year Member
My Daughter sent me a email about salmonella as well. I have two yellow belly water turtles. Shes has a five year old that has some health issues , she thinks i'm going to let her play with them. She doesn't know about my new baby tortoise yet. hahahah,,, shes going to band her kids coming to my house for sure. But i told my granddaughter that if uncle matt or mike cant take care of my tortoise when in old and gone, she could have it. my daughter is going to flip.

pammyzoo

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
From the article:

Ever since 1975, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has placed a nationwide ban on sales of the repitles-with shells 4 inches or smaller.

Years ago my cousin took her college schedule to a pet shop and bought two tiny red ears. The sign said, "For educational purposes only", among other things I can't recall, and then said "$25 each". She said they were for a biology project.

Not sure if that was legal or if it's that easy everywhere. I have a feeling that place would have sold them to anyone for $25 since it was in big red letters on the tank.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Reptile-born Salmonella (The only disease that can be transferred from reptile to humans)
- The CDC and USDA report 87% of all Salmonella cases are food-related.
- 3% are derived from pets. (All pets, including canines, felines, birds, etc.)
- The CDC also reports <0.001% of cases are directly related to reptiles.
- The risk of Salmonella from any origination can be abated with basic hygiene such as washing your hands.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
This is a biased report. Those who responsibly keep them will not have problems where the hygiene is concerned. To me, this article was just trying to sway public opinion to outlaw turtles and tortoises for everyone, everywhere in the USA. It would appear that people are not able to understand how to take care of turtles. I keep hearing about the parents and how they are idiots. I am not sure that is always the case. Out of how many people who have turtles and tortoises as pets what is the percentage of kids who actually get sick from them? It is pretty small, it seems that the article is making much ado about nothing. Those parents who will not take care of their kids properly, will have more than just salmonella to worry about.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
StudentoftheReptile said:
Reptile-born Salmonella (The only disease that can be transferred from reptile to humans)

I do not believe this is accurate.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I notice that turtleshack has turtles under 4" for sale. Some as small as a quarter. Sliders, painted turtles, etc.

So which ones under 4" are illegal exactly?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortus said:
I notice that turtleshack has turtles under 4" for sale. Some as small as a quarter. Sliders, painted turtles, etc.

All turtles and tortoises under 4 inches are illegal for a business to sell.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
dmmj said:
Tortus said:

All turtles and tortoises under 4 inches are illegal for a business to sell.

Apparently this isn't enforced very well. I made a thread about a sick baby leopard I saw at the pet shop and it was definitely under 4". It looked the same size as mine which is under 2.5". Then places like turtleshack...that wouldn't be considered a business?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That should put all of us on alert. If any vet says something like that and drops your tortoise---your instant reflex should put out his lights! That's what I'm going to be prepared to do. Sorry that happened to you--he was just an idiot!!!!!!!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If it has a business license, then it is a business, but you are correct, it is not enforced very often.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Enforcement of the 4" law depends on a few things...
- Reporting. Someone has to call the right department to report the activity
- Reality. The FDA health and Human Services agency (the ones who issued the law) is understaffed and underfunded to enforce all of the laws it has on its books. Contacting them will not result in an automatic investigation.
- Response. Often, the agency sends a boilerplate letter to the offender, and pretty much assumes it will be followed.

The 'Exception' everyone talks about is title 21, volume 8, part 1240, subpart D, section 1240.62:
"(d) Exceptions. The provisions of this section are not applicable to:
(1) The sale, holding for sale, and distribution of live turtles and viable turtle eggs for bona fide scientific, educational, or exhibitional purposes, other than use as pets.
(2) The sale, holding for sale, and distribution of live turtles and viable turtle eggs not in connection with a business.
(https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/tortoise-basics/the-4-inch-law-new )

So... it has to be some sort of business, and the whole 'scientific, display, or education' bit does not really apply and if you sign something you are perjuring yourself and the store is both acting evilly and foolishly.

I wish I knew why a sucky place like Turtle Shack is still in business, but I see they use a lot of business names- they may just be hiding behind shell companies (rimshot!)

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
I've only been a tortoise guardian for a week and even I know to wash my hands after touching them. It comes up in every single article I've read...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am shaking my head.
29% of children infected are under a year old REALLY! Does anyone think it is insane that a parent of an infant isn't a little more careful about germs?!?!?!
For the saftey of TURTLES and CHILDREN any child young or stupid enough to put it in it's mouth should not be around them unsupervised period!

Now for Anna's point and totally O/T, but she is right and it used to drive me crazy. School sit kids in groups facing each other in class. Their desks are face to face, then parents send sick kids to school, they cough all over each other get MY kid sick then get an award at the end of the year for perfect attendance. Grrrr......... That should be illigal.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
jaizei said:

You're correct. Salmonella is a technically a form of bacteria, not a disease per say. Salmonellosis is the infection caused by Salmonella bacteria.

But that may not be what you were referring to, I wager. ;) There may be forms of zoonotic diseases that involve reptile-human transmission that I am not aware of, but again, they are apparently so rare and obscure that the risk of contracting one is even slimmer than contracting Salmonella. There have been no reports of any that I'm aware of.

If you have anything substantial to report that says otherwise, I'm sure we'd love to hear about it.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
Angi said:
I am shaking my head.
29% of children infected are under a year old REALLY! Does anyone think it is insane that a parent of an infant isn't a little more careful about germs?!?!?!
For the saftey of TURTLES and CHILDREN any child young or stupid enough to put it in it's mouth should not be around them unsupervised period!

Now for Anna's point and totally O/T, but she is right and it used to drive me crazy. [...]parents send sick kids to school, they cough all over each other get MY kid sick then get an award at the end of the year for perfect attendance. Grrrr......... That should be illigal.

To the first part of your post... I go to PetSmart sometimes (it's fun looking around pet shops, what can I say? lol). Their website and displays specifically say turtles and tortoises are for children ages 12+ with adult supervision. I think there should be more rules about it, personally. You can only get Desert Tortoises from sanctioned adoption centers (loophole: getting captive bred tortoises as gifts) and they even do house checks to make sure the enclosure is set up properly. Maybe there need to be stricter rules to prevent stupid people from taking them home? Kind of asking a lot from businesses though. A lot of them just want to make money and don't care what happens afterwards. I could tell you horror stories about a mom and pop mall kiosk I worked at earlier this year... I quit that job in a hurry. I was disgusted.

As for the O/T portion... That's not always the parents' fault. At least not in the US. A lot of public schools get funding based on filled seats so they offer incentives for perfect attendance. Then there are rules about truancy. Parents can get into a lot of trouble (and possibly pay fines!) for not sending their kids to school.

I remember one instance when I was in trouble at school for not going. It was a discrepancy in my schedule back when I was in high school. I was accidentally enrolled in the wrong class (I didn't know this at the time) and I got called into the office for "ditching" class for something like a month. Thankfully the "wrong" teacher vouched for my being there and the copy I had of my schedule did show that to my knowledge I was in the right class so I didn't get into trouble.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
No offense ellen, but more regulations are not the answer.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
jaizei said:

You're correct. Salmonella is a technically a form of bacteria, not a disease per say. Salmonellosis is the infection caused by Salmonella bacteria.

But that may not be what you were referring to, I wager. ;) There may be forms of zoonotic diseases that involve reptile-human transmission that I am not aware of, but again, they are apparently so rare and obscure that the risk of contracting one is even slimmer than contracting Salmonella. There have been no reports of any that I'm aware of.

If you have anything substantial to report that says otherwise, I'm sure we'd love to hear about it.

Nice, putting the onus on me to disprove your definitive statement. A simple search will show you some of the reptile zoonoses that are possible (regardless of probability). Your statement dealt with possibility, not probability. Salmonella may be the most likely, but is not the only disease. If you can not find any other diseases, may I ask what search terms you are using? Try "reptile zoonoses" with the quotes.

Isn't the idea that there is only one disease (bacteria) communicable from reptile to human kinda fantastical? Perhaps I am just a skeptic (or just inquisitive) but I almost always want to know more when I hear something like this. I was aware of other reptile zoonoses, so I was fairly certain it was wrong. This is the first time I have heard this claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.