Pet store blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren Nora

5 Year Member
Last summer I bought Nommie at my favorite local pet store. I've been shopping at this pet store since I was a very little girl. First off, I now know its not really a good thing to buy our torts from a pet store but.... I have this need to rescue them all from the dry, poor lighting, hay substrate environment I now know is bad. They have this giant leopard tortoise that is going for $1,100. Who has a 1100 bucks to spend on the giant tort? She's been there a really long time and I want to help her. Now they just got in a new batch of hatchlings that are in the same miserable environment. Makes me sad. I'm almost certain they don't know they are treating these torts with disrespect.

What would you do in this case?

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
The only thing you can do is try to educate them. Most people don't neglect animals out of cruelty, they simply don't know any better. You can try printing out the leopard caresheet on this forum, give the manager a copy and discuss your concerns with him/her. It could help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Copy the this thread or shorten it by copy and pasting the info in it that they can actually change and bring it to them. Also, inform them about the care they are giving. Be really nice about it so they will listen. Let them know that they can look on TFO to get more correct info. Then go from there as far as if they make changes or not.
Here is the thread I'm talking about. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-18931.html

Minority1

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
The only thing you can do is try to educate them. Most people don't neglect animals out of cruelty, they simply don't know any better. You can try printing out the leopard caresheet on this forum, give the manager a copy and discuss your concerns with him/her. It could help.

Agreed. People are just used to their old tried and true methods so they're not open to new information because they cling on to their many years of "experience." I believe if you give them facts to back up your claims then they'll be more likely to change their standards. They're in a business to flip animals, so just convince them that healthy and active animals sell faster.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even if you fail, it will be worth the effort. With enough complaints they will have to re-evaluate their practices. Somebody has to be the first one to say something. You will likely be dismissed if you are the first, so be prepared for that. Do it anyway. Someone has to plant the seed.

Speak up, as you have done here. It might be uncomfortable or embarrassing, but someone must speak on the behalf of the animals who can't. Be their spokesperson. We will help you. You have my express permission to print out any of my threads or posts and take it to them. I have encountered many of the arguments that you will encounter and the answers are in a lot of my old posts. Feel free to PM me too. I can tell you what they will say and what to say back. I've done this hundreds of times.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I always feel this way every time I visit a pet store. It's so sad to see the same tortoise that no one can afford to buy. Especially since it's been stuck in a tightly enclosed space for such a long time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.