Pet Sitter Nightmares

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
It was my brother, I'm sure he would not rob my house.
But obviously he was not very reliable since he didn't even made sure the door was shut... :rolleyes:

There's really nothing in my house worth stealing, but when I saw the open door, of course I was afraid of vadalism or whatever.

I guess I'll rather stay at home in future. ;)
Lisa, I did not mean anything against your brother, whom I don't even know via net. So please understand me. :) I said and meant: TAKE CARE! Alright?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I do understand, ;) but it's really not easy to find a reliable pet sitter. I don't want to let any strangers in my house because I can't know they are trustworthy. But it seems that my family and friends are not better either...
The best decision is to just stay at home, if you don't know someone like @leigti

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I do understand, ;) but it's really not easy to find a reliable pet sitter. I don't want to let any strangers in my house because I can't know they are trustworthy. But it seems that my family and friends are not better either...
The best decision is to just stay at home, if you don't know someone like @leigti
I never allow strangers in, regardless of whether I want a pet sitter or not. I live alone with my TORT, and life is only getting less and less safe, with...unemployment, poverty and so on. (Now we're going into ;) economics).

I would stay at home in such a case.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Luckily, my next door neighbor and I pet sit for each other! She teaches middle school and her hubby and 18 yr old son are all really wonderful people. Her 14 year old daughter was born with a terrible brain defect (Partial Holoprosencephaly, for people who like to Google unusual things!) and is profoundly mentally retarded, but they have always kept her at home, rather than put her in an institution. Needless to say, they are AMAZING at taking care of people and animals!
When my hubby and I leave town, she looks after our 3 cats and Elsa; when they're out of town we look after her 3 cats!
Since she's a teacher, I once left Report Cards on all 3 cats after she and her family had been on a week's vacation! I "graded" them on things like "Socializing," "Grooming," "Litter-scattering," "Eating," "Purring" and "Keeping Polar Bears Away." Since we did not see ANY polar bears here in south Louisiana for that ENTIRE week, they obviously excelled in that area, and all 3 got A+!!! :p
I feel VERY fortunate to have such great neighbors.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
I guess I was spoiled. I moved here a month ago from a place I'd lived at for four years. During those years, a very good friend of mine who I met through work would care for my pets and I would care for hers. She was very attentive and knew what she was doing. I never had any problem. Now that she's 5 hours away and I have to rely on my high school friend who kept my animals when there were a lot less of them, I guess I expec t too much. I have a little peace of mind knowing that one, I have no other trips planned this year for overnight, and two, a very responsible young lady who pet sits for my hometown is moving this way for college in August. She comes with the highest of recommendations and is experienced in a lot of pet species. Hopefully she will be available if my husband plans another Pennsylvania visit to see his family. Again, I won't be leaving without my mother volunteering or having someone I trust again. It makes me feel better that some of you have 'slacked' pet sitters too. I worry about having babysitters for my human children (if I ever have children) every day. Luckily my mom is close enough to keep the human babies at her house. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Luckily, my next door neighbor and I pet sit for each other! She teaches middle school and her hubby and 18 yr old son are all really wonderful people. Her 14 year old daughter was born with a terrible brain defect (Partial Holoprosencephaly, for people who like to Google unusual things!) and is profoundly mentally retarded, but they have always kept her at home, rather than put her in an institution. Needless to say, they are AMAZING at taking care of people and animals!
When my hubby and I leave town, she looks after our 3 cats and Elsa; when they're out of town we look after her 3 cats!
Since she's a teacher, I once left Report Cards on all 3 cats after she and her family had been on a week's vacation! I "graded" them on things like "Socializing," "Grooming," "Litter-scattering," "Eating," "Purring" and "Keeping Polar Bears Away." Since we did not see ANY polar bears here in south Louisiana for that ENTIRE week, they obviously excelled in that area, and all 3 got A+!!! :p
I feel VERY fortunate to have such great neighbors.
That is so nice of you and your neighbour. On the other hand one cannot alway guarantee to have such a neighbour: it's a matter of luck, nothing else.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
We are about to leave for a week long vacation. We have had the same pet sitter for years. She stays at our home while we are away. She is great with the dogs but I always worry about the reptiles while I am away. I never seem to get the feeling she really "gets" the non furry pets.
Everything is automated as possible.
Lights heat thermostats etc.
She is paid $25 a day so it's not totally a favor. I still don't have any expectations of her preparing diets for the tortoises before sunrise.(as they expect) We are happy enough with her that we book her before we book the travel plans each year.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We are about to leave for a week long vacation. We have had the same pet sitter for years. She stays at our home while we are away. She is great with the dogs but I always worry about the reptiles while I am away. I never seem to get the feeling she really "gets" the non furry pets.
Everything is automated as possible.
Lights heat thermostats etc.
She is paid $25 a day so it's not totally a favor. I still don't have any expectations of her preparing diets for the tortoises before sunrise.(as they expect) We are happy enough with her that we book her before we book the travel plans each year.
I understand that "worrying" as far as reptiles are concerned, as they are not yet that popular as pets, and nowhere near dogs abd cats for that matter.

Enjoy your holiday!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Maybe contact of vets office and see if anybody there would like to be a pet sitter for your animals.vet techs or vet students usually know what they're doing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the main reason I live in a cave (and sometimes under the bridge) and never leave home. My daughter lives only a half mile away, and can come care for my flock if I need her, but this is my hobby, my responsibility, and I don't feel comfortable asking anyone else to care for it while I'm gone. So I don't go.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
This is the main reason I live in a cave (and sometimes under the bridge) and never leave home. My daughter lives only a half mile away, and can come care for my flock if I need her, but this is my hobby, my responsibility, and I don't feel comfortable asking anyone else to care for it while I'm gone. So I don't go.
I do see your point, but it seems that some people are obliged to do so every now and then.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Over the course of many years, one pet sitter allowed my cat to get run over, another one allowed my dearest dog to get run over. One didn't seem to notice the dead bird impaled on the agave on the balcony. There's a reason I don't go far away or stay long.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
I rarely leave the house for more that a night or two. Typically my pets are fine for that amount of time, though obviously my dog comes with me or crashes somewhere else. There are times when a trip is out of your control. Weddings, graduations, funerals, family reunions... I hate those trips because they always last too long and my animals suffer. I avoid them as best as possible. After this past week away, my family and friends out of town better hope they don't die or have any other large event because I will not be in attendance.

Lexiii

CT
I had to leave for a night on Monday to pick up my oldest at school,and left my 14 year old in charge of the tort. I had the poor kid so paranoid about temps I don't think he slept at all.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Maybe contact of vets office and see if anybody there would like to be a pet sitter for your animals.vet techs or vet students usually know what they're doing.

That's exactly what I did! After my older two girls in their 20's didn't do a good job! I have used our vet tech for a couple of years and her and her little daughter sleep over. She takes her lunch at our house too.

I even get pics and sweet notes.
I would die without her!!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm pretty lucky too. My pet sitter is very patient and good with me and my shelled babies.
I have everything on timers and thermostats
I also have things written out and meals placed in bags for every day. Mind you, I was a very respected pet sitter/Vet Tech for 20 years so she doesn't screw around. :) :)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I had a (professional!) pet sitter, ONCE. She fed our parrot seed that was for sprouting instead of what I told her and our bird was loose when we came home so I have never had one since. With chickens, 3 dogs (including a Great Dane and German Shepherd) two cats, 1 ferret, 1 betta fish, 1 cockatiel and our Sulcata I don't go anywhere. It's funny because I pet sit for our entire neighborhood and everyone always wants to return the favor but I feel like my brood is too much for the average (sane) person...lol

This summer we are taking a two week road trip to go house hunting (out of state) - my middle kiddo (19) wants to stay home so he can work and not take off from his job. HE will be my petsitter (with the promise of cold hard cash for a job WELL done.) My neighbors will gather (and keep) the eggs from the chickens and it should all work out. I am pretty OCD with everyone's care and my kids know it. I am letting go and hoping for the best. I have already told my sons friends that they are responsible as well. I am putting the fear of God into them...lol. Luckily they are a good bunch but I already know the house will not be vacuumed like I want and little things like that. Oh well. I am sure we will all live.

*fingers crossed*

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Over the course of many years, one pet sitter allowed my cat to get run over, another one allowed my dearest dog to get run over. One didn't seem to notice the dead bird impaled on the agave on the balcony. There's a reason I don't go far away or stay long.
That is terrible! Accidents happen but holy crap. They should be more careful than the average pet owner.