Pet Sitter Nightmares

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Sorry. I meant: how easy-or actually hard-it would be to find someone like that even if being paid. My only pet; my beloved Greek tortoise is my only pet and my only family: I live alone. But I don't think I could find a 'pet-sitter' here in Jordan, if I needed one. People in the Middle East just do NOT like animals/pets.
I think when people don't like animals they are really missing out. I couldn't imagine my life without animals, I have always had them, even in college I had a goldfish in my dorm room. But if people don't like animals they will never relate to those of us who do and who feel so strongly about our animals.

fern4

As a pet sitter for 15 years your stories make me so sad. I have missed every holiday with my family, hardly go on any vacations and am busy every weekend because I love animals and it's important to me that that their owners feel confident that their pet is safe and well cared for. Good, reliable and trustworthy pet sitters do exist :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As a pet sitter for 15 years your stories make me so sad. I have missed every holiday with my family, hardly go on any vacations and am busy every weekend because I love animals and it's important to me that that their owners feel confident that their pet is safe and well cared for. Good, reliable and trustworthy pet sitters do exist :)
There are some good ones out there, like the one I have. And some of the stories she has told me about what some people expect from her are amazing. I totally agree with wanting your pets taken care of properly but some people are so unrealistic it is amazing. Some very sad stories out there also. She has had to quit a few jobs because it just broke her heart. So like everything there are two sides to every story.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think when people don't like animals they are really missing out. I couldn't imagine my life without animals, I have always had them, even in college I had a goldfish in my dorm room. But if people don't like animals they will never relate to those of us who do and who feel so strongly about our animals.
I agree with you: those who don't like animals are missing a lot, but that is the way such people think and feel. You cannot change them. They've been brought up like that and the dislike gets passed on from one generation to another.

fern4

There are some good ones out there, like the one I have. And some of the stories she has told me about what some people expect from her are amazing. I totally agree with wanting your pets taken care of properly but some people are so unrealistic it is amazing. Some very sad stories out there also. She has had to quit a few jobs because it just broke her heart. So like everything there are two sides to every story.
So true! I could write a book about all my animal adventures and crazy pet owners and their requests. Ha!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
So true! I could write a book about all my animal adventures and crazy pet owners and their requests. Ha!!
Have you inherited any animals? My pet sitter has inherited a couple dogs from people who passed away. And she got a gigantic wolfhound from somebody who lost their job and couldn't care for it anymore.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That is so nice to read....somebody really caring for his/her pets.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
In CA I had THE most wonderful petsitter in the world! I loved her. Here in SETX there is no one. It's so bad that friends have suggested I start doing it professionally. That's kinda sad... I very much applaud the good ones, that is for sure. You all make keeping a zoo just a little bit easier. Our pets are our family!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
No, not yet but I do have a pet parrot willed to me when the owners time comes :)
They have only one? That's sad... :( I hope you can get him/her a partner when the time comes.
But I'm a little envious, I'm intrigued with parrots since I was a little child, they are extremely intelligent and social animals. :<3:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
They have only one? That's sad... :( I hope you can get him/her a partner when the time comes.
But I'm a little envious, I'm intrigued with parrots since I was a little child, they are extremely intelligent and social animals. :<3:
I like parrots too, and was thinking of getting one before I got my cute little tort, but changed my mind and..'TORT BE IT!'

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Haven't read all replies but yes, horrible pet sitters *shudders*
I've had pet sitters who I came home to 2 of my reptiles not even having their water dishes in their enclosures, hides/decor in the wrong tanks or left out completely, humid hides for my Leos completely bone dry, dirty enclosures with at least a week's worth of poo, blood all over my Leopard Gecko's tank because she shed with a bone dry humid hide and ripped the shed off of her poor toes, etc.
I have had 3 horrible pet sitters before I found a great one the last time I went away. The only issue is that I don't know if she would pet sit for me again now that I have more reptiles/reptiles that need feeding every day. :\

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think finding a good pet sitter for reptiles is a little more difficult then for dogs or cats. That is why I am so lucky, when I got my Russian and then my Boxturtle my pet sitter took it all in stride. She had to take care of my friends animals including two snakes. She barely had any instruction because there was a medical emergency. She went to feed the snakes and found out that there were no frozen for you mice to be found anywhere in town. So she bought to live ones and actually fed them to the snakes. She was mortified but she did it. Maybe the eight-year-old at the pet shop telling her how easy it was gave her the strength she needed :)

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with bad experiences. I miss my pet sitter from Florida. She was amazing and owned a zoo of her own. I had a trip to Disney planned a few years ago and left her instructions on the animals and how to check on the incubator with 18 bearded dragon eggs enclosed... The eggs hatched over a week sooner than I'd planned and this poor girl fed them twice a day, soaked them, set up their lights once they were mobile, and cared for them better than anyone in her position would have. She was paid much more than the agreed upon amount. Good people who love animals and treat them as their own do exist. I was ready to fly her here to pet sit for me before I left for the wedding. After what I came home to, it would have been worth the plane ticket.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with bad experiences. I miss my pet sitter from Florida. She was amazing and owned a zoo of her own. I had a trip to Disney planned a few years ago and left her instructions on the animals and how to check on the incubator with 18 bearded dragon eggs enclosed... The eggs hatched over a week sooner than I'd planned and this poor girl fed them twice a day, soaked them, set up their lights once they were mobile, and cared for them better than anyone in her position would have. She was paid much more than the agreed upon amount. Good people who love animals and treat them as their own do exist. I was ready to fly her here to pet sit for me before I left for the wedding. After what I came home to, it would have been worth the plane ticket.
It's great to 'hear' there are still trustworthy people around.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Oh yeah... Just haven't found one in my new town yet, but I'm looking! I rarely leave the house for more than a night or two and my parents are able to take care of my pets so long as everything is pre measured. Unfortunately, longer trips seem to surprise me.. Like my sister in law's wedding. There is talk of another family reunion in Pennsylvania this year so I'll have that to look forward to in terms of stress and annoyance at lack of pet sitters. I can't complain too much. This was the first trip we took to see my husband's family in 7 years. It's too bad since that long span means we have to stay for more than just the weekend when we do go. I'm already in the works to find a pet sitter for the 'possible' trip. Good thing for me he moved us here for work since the holidays will no longer be a problem. I'm gone for two nights and I'm an hour away when I stay with my family. I can easily run up here and check on everyone with no problem. This Christmas will be a LOT less stressful.

UnicornSploosh

5 Year Member
Redding, Ca
We went to Pittsburg over Memorial Day weekend and had a good friend care for our animals. I made it so easy with labeled bags of pre-measured food, detailed instructions taped to enclosures, etc. Even fed and watered the snakes so they wouldn't be an issue.

It almost was okay. He removed the tortoises light from their cage and set it on the nightstand next to them. Thankfully it was the night before we came home. When the timer clicked on it ended up destroying the nightstand and my boyfriend's work phone but thankfully didn't burn down the house. I'll never buy anything but zoomed bulbs that have the built in safety feature of shutting off when they overheat. That bulb saved not just my tortoises but my cats, snakes, bearded dragons, and rats.

My local reptile store now offers boarding. They're going to them next time.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm fortunate.
There's a guy here called Zachariah, nice young Moroccan man who is a good friend and adores Tidgy.
When I go away he can be relied on to drop everything and come and look after Tidgy.
He is completely trustworthy and reliable and a member of this Forum so he can learn all about torts, though he's never posted anything.
Thanks, Zac.