Pet Sitter Nightmares

klawran1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Acworth, GA
Does anyone else have a nightmare of a time finding pet sitters?? I recently flew to Pennsylvania for my sister in law's wedding and college graduation (On the same day) and it was the most difficult thing ever to get a sitter. I had to depend on a friend (who proceeded to invite ANOTHER friend without my permission) to stay at my house to take care of my reptiles and fur babies. I love my friend, but he is an idiot when the OTHER friend is around. They half way did the work I asked them to do in terms of food, water, enclosure cleaning, and soaking. I come home to lights that have been changed from their timers resulting in them not turning off at all, dirty enclosures, water dishes that hardly had a drop of water in them for my tortoises, and just overall unhappy animals. My cats were not much better. To give the full story, I have 7 indoor cats, a small 4 pound Yorkie, 3 bearded dragons, and two tortoises. I precut and measured all of the food and gave exact instructions on cleaning and watering with all needed materials provided. I'm honestly afraid to know how they cared for my babies while I was gone for six days. It will NOT happen again. I will find someone responsible, or I will not leave my home. Any other nightmare pet sitting stories, or good experience stories? I've been home since Tuesday and I'm still livid. My cats are just now acting normal and keep in mind, they are accustomed to strangers and don't typically have a problem when I'm gone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not had a problem yet, knock on wood. However, I only ask them to feed, water and let them out and put them in, which means open and/or close their doors. I would not ask them to clean up after them. Most people that don't have these kinds of animals, may not like to clean up poop and probably wouldn't do a good job anyway. I always have the lights on timers and I let them know to not touch them, they are fine set where they are. Keeping it minimal and simple I think is the best way to go. It won't hurt any animal to have a little poop or pee in their enclosure for a day or so.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
If it was only a couple of days, I wouldn't have asked. I was gone for 6 days and it needed done, especially the leopard enclosure. It's true that no one cares for your animals like you do, but for paying them, with the instructions given beforehand, I expected a better job.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I agree with the above . When I have to travel I trust one person .... my mom . I have everything set on timers and thermostats . I make food and mark the bags by day and animal . She is a clean freak so she cleans the water and enclosures . I have an amazing mom . If she can't do it I stay home . I trust no one else besides my wife she is amazing also . But if I'm gone she is with me .

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
My mom is terrified of the dragons, but she still does an amazing job caring for them when she's able. I wanted it to be her, but she isn't able to drive here after work and care for them since she lives an hour and a half away. Had she been able to, it'd be her all the way! I didn't want to go on the trip anyway, but my husband didn't leave me much of a choice. It didn't make matters any better when I came home to a destroyed house and miserable pets. We couldn't find anyone else, so he enlisted my friend. No more vacations until I find a better candidate. I think what really gets me is my friend has kept my pets numerous times before and I've never had a problem with him.. Now suddenly the OTHER friend comes with him and my fridge is full of alcohol, my clean house was a mess, random lights were on, my timers were changed with him KNOWING not to mess with them, and my animals were skiddish and reptiles dirty and without water. I refer back to, never again.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I just gave my pet sitter a pre vacation tour today! LOL

I'm going away for 4 days on Memorial weekend. Then I'm going to Disney World the following weekend for 7 days.

This is my first time ever having a pet sitter. It's my friend's 10 year old daughter and they live in my neighborhood. Should be easy, it's just the 1 tort and he lives outside.
I'm paying her to check on him daily and make sure he's in his house each night.... Hope it goes well. It's mostly for my peace of mind.

Sorry to hear about your story. I'll say, that's a lot of critters to care for when it's not your own. Hopefully you get better, more responsible help next time.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello, and so sorry to have just read the 'animal sitters' story which was extremely sad. Goodness..your friend could have said: 'Sorry' rather than putting you and your pets in such a miserable state.

Personally, I don't know what I would do in such a case, due to the fact that I live...alone with my Greek tort. Also, people here, (in the Middle Eastern countries) dislike pets/animals. But as for you, I could only advice you NOT TO DO IT AGAIN. Take baby sitters as well as
house-maids: do you know what on earth they do when you're gone? Do you know how baby sitters treat/mistreat your children? At the same time I do know that some people do not have any other choice.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have been very lucky, I have had the same pet sitter for 17 years. She has taken care of all my animals very well. My only complaint is that sometimes, well most of the time, she over feeds them and gives them Way too many treats. :) she does not stay at my house but she comes by at least twice a day, and she usually just takes my dog with her for the time that I'm gone and the dog stays at her house
She has enabled me to keep my last dog until she was 17 years old, and to help me with my new puppy when I was working 10-12 hour days. whenever I get a new animal she comes over and learns all about them. The tortoise was definitely a new one for her but she took it all in stride. I make all the feeding as easy as possible for when she is taking care of them. And my lights are on a timer so she doesn't have to worry. And she requires me to leave a signed note giving her and her husband permission to get veterinary care if needed for my animals. Many vets will not take care of an animal that is not brought in by its owner FYI. Luckily all the vets in town know her but I still write the note every time. I am very grateful for her and I pay her well. It is worth it for my peace of mind.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I just gave my pet sitter a pre vacation tour today! LOL

I'm going away for 4 days on Memorial weekend. Then I'm going to Disney World the following weekend for 7 days.

This is my first time ever having a pet sitter. It's my friend's 10 year old daughter and they live in my neighborhood. Should be easy, it's just the 1 tort and he lives outside.
I'm paying her to check on him daily and make sure he's in his house each night.... Hope it goes well. It's mostly for my peace of mind.

Sorry to hear about your story. I'll say, that's a lot of critters to care for when it's not your own. Hopefully you get better, more responsible help next time.
Hi. Nothing against your friend/your friend's daughter, but would you rely on someone even if he/she has never dealt with pets/animals?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have been very lucky, I have had the same pet sitter for 17 years. She has taken care of all my animals very well. My only complaint is that sometimes, well most of the time, she over feeds them and gives them Way too many treats. :) she does not stay at my house but she comes by at least twice a day, and she usually just takes my dog with her for the time that I'm gone and the dog stays at her house
She has enabled me to keep my last dog until she was 17 years old, and to help me with my new puppy when I was working 10-12 hour days. whenever I get a new animal she comes over and learns all about them. The tortoise was definitely a new one for her but she took it all in stride. I make all the feeding as easy as possible for when she is taking care of them. And my lights are on a timer so she doesn't have to worry. And she requires me to leave a signed note giving her and her husband permission to get veterinary care if needed for my animals. Many vets will not take care of an animal that is not brought in by its owner FYI. Luckily all the vets in town know her but I still write the note every time. I am very grateful for her and I pay her well. It is worth it for my peace of mind.
Hi. You really are lucky to have such a friend, :) as far as your pets are concerned. But how many are the people like that?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
By how many do you mean how much I pay her or how easy it is to find somebody like that? I pay her $25 a day every day. She has been doing pet sitting for about 20 years, and doing it as her only job for at least 10. I don't know what I would do without her. My pets are my only family. Right now I have one dog two cats three chickens and one tortoise. And she does great with all of them.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you can't find a pet sitter does your reptile vet board animals? Mine said she would be able to take care of my Russian tortoise if I needed it. The vet for my other animals also boards. That might be something to look into.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
My pet sitters were always horrible, I don't even want to imagine leaving for a whole week...
The last time I was away it was only for I think 3 days, so the pet sitter didn't have to clean up and I knew the pets couldn't die of thirst.
I made a bag for each day and each pet species (cat, rabbits and parakeets - the torts can take care of their own) and added instructions about when and where to feed.

It must have been a disaster, they looked extremely unhappy.
The rabbits food was not in their food bowl, but inside their dirty toilet and the parakeets food was not in their cage, but on top of a dresser - which wouldn't be a problem, but some of them are unable to fly and can't reach the food there (luckily the others must have brought them some food, so they didn't starve to death).
Last but not least, when I came home mid-morning the front door was wide open, must have been like this since the evening before. Sometimes I'm glad I don't own anything worth stealing. :p

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
By how many do you mean how much I pay her or how easy it is to find somebody like that? I pay her $25 a day every day. She has been doing pet sitting for about 20 years, and doing it as her only job for at least 10. I don't know what I would do without her. My pets are my only family. Right now I have one dog two cats three chickens and one tortoise. And she does great with all of them.
Sorry. I meant: how easy-or actually hard-it would be to find someone like that even if being paid. My only pet; my beloved Greek tortoise is my only pet and my only family: I live alone. But I don't think I could find a 'pet-sitter' here in Jordan, if I needed one. People in the Middle East just do NOT like animals/pets.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My pet sitters were always horrible, I don't even want to imagine leaving for a whole week...
The last time I was away it was only for I think 3 days, so the pet sitter didn't have to clean up and I knew the pets couldn't die of thirst.
I made a bag for each day and each pet species (cat, rabbits and parakeets - the torts can take care of their own) and added instructions about when and where to feed.

It must have been a disaster, they looked extremely unhappy.
The rabbits food was not in their food bowl, but inside their dirty toilet and the parakeets food was not in their cage, but on top of a dresser - which wouldn't be a problem, but some of them are unable to fly and can't reach the food there (luckily the others must have brought them some food, so they didn't starve to death).
Last but not least, when I came home mid-morning the front door was wide open, must have been like this since the evening before. Sometimes I'm glad I don't own anything worth stealing. :p
Sorry to read your story. Take care...some people may harm your pets AND steal/rob your place!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
It was my brother, I'm sure he would not rob my house.
But obviously he was not very reliable since he didn't even made sure the door was shut... :rolleyes:

There's really nothing in my house worth stealing, but when I saw the open door, of course I was afraid of vadalism or whatever.

I guess I'll rather stay at home in future. ;)